Need your help/reccomendations for finalizing projector choice for my Media/Theater room! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-09-2012, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Hi all,

I'm in the process of redesigning/construction a room in my basement to be used as a theater/media room. I'm now ready to purchase a projector that best suits my needs. I'm good with a 16:9 aspect screen for most of my viewing.

I've been looking hard at the Epson 8530, Epson 5010, Optoma HD33, Panasonic AR-100U. I'm open to any other suggestions if they make sense.

I was initially set on the 8350, but with so many issues/replacements out there I have my doubts.

Here are the facts:
  • I will definitely need lens shift due to not be able to center mount.
  • The back wall will be painted flat black and the side walls a lighter gray.
  • The room is 14' wide(19' wide in the back area) by a total of 44' deep. However, the viewing area is 14x22.
  • The room can be nearly blacked out for movie watching, but will be using some ambient lighting for Sports/Gaming approximately 20% of the time.
  • The (main) viewing positions are 18' back.
  • Screen size is likely to be 135"
  • I'll likely be mounting the projector 17-18' back.
  • My budget is 1000-2600 with a strong preference to stay under 1600 or so.
  • 3D is definitely not a priority, but may be a cool feature to play with.
  • I have not yet purchased a screen yet, but will do so once I select the projector. I've been looking hard at the Elite 135" Sable.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
5010 would be best from that list. If you don't care about 3D, consider an 8700UB if you find a deal. I have an 8350, it would work fine, but your light control is going to be better than mine, so I think black level will be more important than output, so stay away from the Panasonic 100.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-10-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

5010 would be best from that list. If you don't care about 3D, consider an 8700UB if you find a deal. I have an 8350, it would work fine, but your light control is going to be better than mine, so I think black level will be more important than output, so stay away from the Panasonic 100.

Thanks - I'm now looking hard at the 8700UB, b stock of course. Is $1499 considered a 'deal'?
post #4 of 6 Old 07-10-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 857
I agree...go for the blackest black levels you can. That's incredibly important with current movies and night scene enjoyment. The contrast ratio is one of the most aspects of an enjoyable projector presentation. Light control is very important and you've got that in your room! An 8700UB is a great place to start. My Epson 8350 is really too bright for my preferences - even on the lowest settings with my 104" DIY screen. Other than the black levels not being stellar on the 8350 - it's a fantastic model. Colors are gorgeous and clarity is amazing for the price. Heck, all projectors I've seen lately have really been stepping up their game - be they mitshubishi, JVC, Sony, Epson, Panasonic, or that model that HuskerOmaha has...(can't recall). All of these modern (comparably inexpensive) units look fantastic!!!! compared to high end units from a few years ago.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #5 of 6 Old 07-10-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I agree...go for the blackest black levels you can. That's incredibly important with current movies and night scene enjoyment. The contrast ratio is one of the most aspects of an enjoyable projector presentation. Light control is very important and you've got that in your room! An 8700UB is a great place to start. My Epson 8350 is really too bright for my preferences - even on the lowest settings with my 104" DIY screen. Other than the black levels not being stellar on the 8350 - it's a fantastic model. Colors are gorgeous and clarity is amazing for the price. Heck, all projectors I've seen lately have really been stepping up their game - be they mitshubishi, JVC, Sony, Epson, Panasonic, or that model that HuskerOmaha has...(can't recall). All of these modern (comparably inexpensive) units look fantastic!!!! compared to high end units from a few years ago.

Dude, I was hoping you would chime in! I was pretty sold in the 8350, but it seems the 8700 may have slightly better blacks for only a marginal increase in price. I've already started tearing down the basement - the back wall should be sealed and painted by the end of this weekend in preparation for the screen. biggrin.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 07-10-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 149
8700ub blacks are much better than the 8350, huge difference IMHO.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page