Newb about to take the plunge, everything look okay? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-12-2012, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So the wife agreed many years ago that if we ever got a house with a finished basement that I could have a man cave. Fast forward 4 years, we now have a house with a huge finished basement smile.gif Here's my plans so far:

Primary Purpose: Mainly gaming, both PS3 and PC. When football starts up in another month or so it will be used for watching football.

Requirements: 720p and 3D

Projector Wall Measurements:12.5ft long and 7ft foot tall

Current plans before I posted this to get feedback
Projector: Optoma GT750E 3000
Glasses: UltraClear HD DLP Link compatible 3D Glasses
Surround: Sony 7.1 (Already purchased)
Gaming System: Fat PS3 80gb (Already urchased)
Computer: Incredibly fast hand-built PC with nVidia video card. (Already purchased)
Screen: ???

Help Needed
Screen and Screen size: The wall is 7ft tall.. I'll want a few feet of clearance at the bottom right? And probably 6 inches or so at the top? That comes out to about 4.5ft but I have 12ft of width to use and most bluerays are in 16:9.. so I'm not sure what to do here...

Glasses: Those glasses come highly recommended as comfy for people with big heads (I'm 6'6"). If someone knows of a better model I'm game.

Misc: Any other suggestions, opinions, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 AM

Liked: 12
If you are getting a projector and a large screen - go with 1080P
You will get a much better picture on a large scree
Industry is on it's way to 4K - 720 is outdated
post #3 of 6 Old 07-12-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Primary use will be for gaming though and this projector has a 0ms response time. Most PS3 games are in 720 and the projector will do a computer screen at 1080p 60hertz. All my local channels, except CBS, only broadcast in 720 also.

And the main reason is I have to keep this under $1000 and there are no 1080P 3D projectors under $1000 that I'm aware of.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-12-2012, 01:40 PM

Liked: 13
If you plan to do 3D gaming you are better off with the 720P projector you have listed Optoma GT750. Can play PC games in 720P 60fps per eye. If you planned to do more movie watching then gaming then wlcohen would be correct.

As for the screen, I recomend reading the DIY screen section http://www.avsforum.com/f/110/diy-screen-section or if rather just buy one good info here to research http://www.avsforum.com/f/23/screens .

Here in the Antarctic I use black out cloth purchased from a fabric store, think I have $40 into it including the felt boarder. It works really well making a 100" screen. I go this route because I have to bring it down every year when I leave and unable to store a large screen some place till I return.

At the house I did a the DIY style buying some manufactured board from Menards (Home Depot etc probably has them too) and painted it white with paint recomended in the DIY section, worked great and was less then $60 total for 108" screen .

Anyway I recomend reading those sections of the forums for more idea's to make a decision that is best for you.

Edit to add- See you noted it will accept a 1080P 60hz pc signal. This may be correct but you will likely be better off sending the native 720P it generates, then the projector isn't converting to format.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-12-2012, 02:49 PM

I love this site: Plug in the distance you are away from the screen and it will give you min and recommended screen size. This is based on a theater experience! This has been very helpful. If you are only 10 feet away from the screen like my room....you don't want a 120 inch screen...it would be ridiculous like sitting in the front row of a movie theater. For my room it said it recommended an 89" diagonal (Min 73") and I'm at 84"! It looks great in my room!

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
post #6 of 6 Old 07-13-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzman76 View Post

So the wife agreed many years ago that if we ever got a house with a finished basement that I could have a man cave. Fast forward 4 years, we now have a house with a huge finished basement smile.gif Here's my plans so far:
Primary Purpose: Mainly gaming, both PS3 and PC. When football starts up in another month or so it will be used for watching football.
Requirements: 720p and 3D
Projector Wall Measurements:12.5ft long and 7ft foot tall
Current plans before I posted this to get feedback
Projector: Optoma GT750E 3000
Glasses: UltraClear HD DLP Link compatible 3D Glasses
Surround: Sony 7.1 (Already purchased)
Gaming System: Fat PS3 80gb (Already urchased)
Computer: Incredibly fast hand-built PC with nVidia video card. (Already purchased)
Screen: ???
Help Needed
Screen and Screen size: The wall is 7ft tall.. I'll want a few feet of clearance at the bottom right? And probably 6 inches or so at the top? That comes out to about 4.5ft but I have 12ft of width to use and most bluerays are in 16:9.. so I'm not sure what to do here...
Glasses: Those glasses come highly recommended as comfy for people with big heads (I'm 6'6"). If someone knows of a better model I'm game.
Misc: Any other suggestions, opinions, etc?

Sounds like you should get a 2.35 screen, e.g., 54"H (the max you say you can fit in) x 127"W.    That way you use all the 54" of ht you have available, for both 2.35 pics and 16x9, and fit the width for both; a 2.35 pic will be the full 127" W, and a 16x9 pic 96"W.    You can use black curtains on the side (or I use removable black-covered sytrofoam panels) to mask the 'black bars' for 16x9 if you find them objectionable.

Also, you may need only ~ 18" below the bottom of the screen, and 6" above, so you might be able to go as large as a 5" high screen; test by showing various sizes on your wall.    With 60"H your 2.35 screen would then be 141"W, so you would be using almost all of the width you have available.

I started out with a 110x61 (16x9) screen and now have a 144x72 one, a 'hybrid' size to make as much use as feasible for W and H.

PS   In general I think the last thing you should do in your room is choose the screen.   I.e., set up the projector, when the equipment goes, etc., and show the pic on the wall (or a bed sheet pinned up on the wall) for maybe even a  couple of weeks to see what size you really want.   You've heard many people comment on wishing that they had gone with a larger screen, but rarely the converse.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page