LCD PJ Advice? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-21-2002, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone!

I'm VERY new to the HT scene and have really enjoyed reading eveyone's reviews and opinions on various PJs.

I would like to get some input as far as LCD projectors go, on a budget of say, $2000-$3500. I am limiting my search to LCDs presently because I demoed a Plus Piano for about 1/2 an hour and was pretty dizzy afterwards - so although I did not notice rainbows per se, I am ruling out DLPs for now (although I am still open to demoing other DLPs to confirm this unfortunate condition...)

Specifically, my purchase timeline is probably about 6-7 months down the road, so in addition, any input about whether certain companies will be coming out with improved LCDs (or even DLPs) at that time that may fit my price restriction would be great (if nothing else, then maybe I could buy the older model for less!)

Thanks in advance and I hope to continue enjoying this forum and everyone's insights in the future!

Will

"And truth does not depend on me"

-King's X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-22-2002, 12:53 PM

Projectors change very fast and become discontinued and out of date at dizzying rates. Keep reading the forums and don't price/negotiate seriously until you're ready to buy. It's impossible to recommend what to buy 7 months down the road.

Good Hunting!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 05-22-2002, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

I too was dizzy after my first half-hour with a digital projector. It was a LCD. I'd recommend that you spend a little more time with DLP's before you rule them out completely.

With that having been said, I am very rainbow sensitive. LCDs have come a long way in a short time. They are quite good.

Mike
post #4 of 6 Old 05-23-2002, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am limiting my search to LCDs presently because I demoed a Plus Piano for about 1/2 an hour and was pretty dizzy afterwards - so although I did not notice rainbows per se, I am ruling out DLPs for now (although I am still open to demoing other DLPs to confirm this unfortunate condition...)
I'd agree with others that you shouldn't rule out DLP yet. The 3rd PJ I had for demo was an Infocus 350 (dlp, xga w/dvi), which had terrible problems in my opinion. After seeing another DLP in a conference room setting, I was convinced that DLP wasn't for me - too many rainbows, uneven color and graininess were the killers.

That was about 1 year ago. Since then, I've seen a few DLPs which have knocked my socks off. Rainbows were still there, but not as noticable. Most of the graininess had gone away, too. DLP has come a long way in just a year.

Quote:
I would like to get some input as far as LCD projectors go, on a budget of say, $2000-$3500
Well, I can tell you that I'm quite happy with my NEC vt540k. Contrast is acceptible, color is great (after a bit of calibration), and the unit has just been rock solid. I've never had a problem with it - all inputs work well, the onboard scaler is decent (not great - decent) and the unit really shines with an HTPC. Recently, I added an ISCO II to the mix, and I'm quite blown away by the results.

The unit will accept 480p, 720p and 1080i (which gets scaled down). I can't comment on the 720p and 1080i performance, as I have no sources which produce such rates. Using a cheap player (panny rv-31) and a cheap line doubler (IScan Pro) this has been a rather inexpensive [sic] solution which has made my girlfriend and I happy for about a year.

Hope this helps,

-Jon

-Y
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who
post #5 of 6 Old 05-23-2002, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Jon,

Thanks for the input!
I've got a few months to research, so I will definitely continue to demo as many PJs as possible, both DLPs and LCDs.

Can anyone comment on which projectors have the best onboard scaler / line doublers in the $2k - $3.5k range? I have an older Sony DVD player that is not progressive scan. I do plan on keeping it for now, even though I realize that one can get a progressive scan DVD player for relatively cheap nowadays, the WAF (wife approval factor)is easier to deal with without replacing everything I have at once :)

Jon, I was actually looking at the VT540 as well, thanks for the advice from your experiences with that unit.

Will

"And truth does not depend on me"

-King's X
post #6 of 6 Old 05-23-2002, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I do plan on keeping it for now, even though I realize that one can get a progressive scan DVD player for relatively cheap nowadays, the WAF (wife approval factor)is easier to deal with without replacing everything I have at once
...including the wife :D

I'm actually looking at getting the Quadscan Pro that AVS is offering, simply because it will produce a good picture but maintain my use of the panny rv-31 DVD player. That way, consumer DVD player for the WAF, and HTPC for critical viewing.

-Jon

-Y
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page