Really Short Throw - Advice Needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-14-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I have some difficult constraints to work with and I figure you experts would be able to give me advice on what the best set up could be.

I have a small office that I'd like to convert into a theater room. I have a 50" plasma in the living room that we use for regular tv watching so this room would be dedicated to gaming and movies (probably 5 to 10 hours of total use per week). Due to window placements in the room, I only have one wall that I can use for the projector and the distance between walls is only 10 feet. I have a max budget of $1500 total for the pj and screen. I figure with the average depth of most projectors I would have a max throw of about 8.5 feet. I can get a decent 60" or 65" plasma for that amount of money so, in order for a projector to be worth it, I would need to have at least 70" diagonal screen from the pj. Is that possible at this distance? I have blackout curtains so ambient light isn't much of an issue but I'd rather not have to mount on the ceiling. I figured the epson 8350 would be the best fit for my price range because with lens shift, I could place the pj on a table next to the couch. What do you guys think? Is a pj worth it for these parameters or would I be better off with a traditional tv? If I can make it work in this room, I figured a pj would be a good fit because I'm planning on moving in a couple years and I would then be able to use it in a larger room. Thanks in advance for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-15-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

I have a more specific question that hopefully will be easier to answer. I have done some reading and I don't see many threads dealing with under 10ft throw distances. Other than smaller screen size, are there any problems with having a 8-9ft throw that I should be aware of? Will brightness be an issue? If seating distance is also this close, will picture defects/imperfections be more visible?
post #3 of 9 Old 07-15-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hi John,

With the 8350, you should have no trouble getting up to 85" diagonal from 8.5 feet of throw. My only caution is about mounting it on a side table ( I have this setup myself in our livingroom theatre ). You only have enough horizontal lens shift to move the picture 1/2 screen width to the left or right. So, for an 85" diagonal ( 75" wide ) the average couch is about 85" wide, so, you wouldn't quite have enough horizontal lens shift to centre the picture. On top of that, most side tables are about 20" high. You'd need the lens at about 40" high ( average sitting eye level ) to not have to use vertical lens shift. Using vertical lens shift further reduces the horizontal lens shift range.

You didn't mention the room dimensions, but, if it's that small, you might be better served with 2 loungers with the side table in the middle. Otherwise, you could simply build a small shelf in the centre of the back wall ( above head level ) and mount the projector on that. ( that's what we do in our bedroom theatre ).

You could easily build a DIY screen, or, just use screen paint ( either DIY formulations or commercial products like ScreenGoo )

Brightness won't be an issue at that screen size with that projector.

That's the beauty of projectors. They're easy to move, and can adapt to any screen size.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan
post #4 of 9 Old 07-15-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks much for the response Jonathan. The room is 10' by 15' but it's actually a spare bedroom so I have a closet on one of the short walls and a window on the other. Unfortunately I have to project on the longer wall. I figured that side table mounting would require the least amount of set-up related headache (don't need to worry about shelf/ceiling mounting or running cable through the wall - I can just have the cables hidden behind the couch). Thanks for the tip on the lens height. I have a DVD storage system that's around 40" tall that I could probably put the projector on.

85" would be great but wouldn't that require almost full zoom at this distance? If so, does it affect picture quality? I wanted to go with the 8350 specifically for ease of placement with the lens shift. If I end up mounting a shelf above the couch (which sounds like the best way to go), would there be much benefit with the 8350 over one of the cheaper DLPs? I've read some pretty good reviews of the VS Pro8200 and it can be had for around $700 new. At my throw distance, some of the calculators show that the 8200 would have 50 to 60 fL using a screen with modest gain. Is this going to be too bright in a dark room? Thanks again for the input. I'm still pretty new to all this and I want to make sure I know everything there is to know before I make my purchase
post #5 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Why cannot you project onto the shorter wall???? I have an electric screen that covers three windows when it is down.......
post #6 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi John, you can either buy a pj with huge zoom ratio, or buy a short throw pj or you can utilize a mirror to prolong your throw distance, with this you can have screen size larger than 85"
post #7 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRoberts View Post

Thanks much for the response Jonathan. The room is 10' by 15' but it's actually a spare bedroom so I have a closet on one of the short walls and a window on the other. Unfortunately I have to project on the longer wall. I figured that side table mounting would require the least amount of set-up related headache (don't need to worry about shelf/ceiling mounting or running cable through the wall - I can just have the cables hidden behind the couch). Thanks for the tip on the lens height. I have a DVD storage system that's around 40" tall that I could probably put the projector on.
85" would be great but wouldn't that require almost full zoom at this distance? If so, does it affect picture quality? I wanted to go with the 8350 specifically for ease of placement with the lens shift. If I end up mounting a shelf above the couch (which sounds like the best way to go), would there be much benefit with the 8350 over one of the cheaper DLPs? I've read some pretty good reviews of the VS Pro8200 and it can be had for around $700 new. At my throw distance, some of the calculators show that the 8200 would have 50 to 60 fL using a screen with modest gain. Is this going to be too bright in a dark room? Thanks again for the input. I'm still pretty new to all this and I want to make sure I know everything there is to know before I make my purchase

I've regularly used the 8350, and older Epsons at widest zoom without any noticeable chromatic aberration. If you can use your DVD storage as a platform, use the maximum horizontal lens shift, and skew the projector slightly to position the image in the centre, you probably won't notice any keystoning as long as you have a black mask around your screen.

If it doesn't work, well, then you can use the shelf option. There are many paintable conduits you could use to drop the power and hdmi cables without having to go into the wall.

Jonathan
post #8 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 09:56 PM

I had a similiar question a few months ago my room is also 10 feet across. I went with a sharp 70 inch because it was a great price. I love the tv but sometimes wish it was a little bigger like 80 or so. One option is to shelf mount a qumi they are tiny and led and woukd be plenty bright at that distance. I think you could get a little bigger than 80 inches with it too since it is so small it would be really close to the wall and nearly 10 foot throw.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-17-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. I almost wish I had just bought the 8350 before I started reading all the threads about lamp/dust/convergence problems. Now I'm starting to have second thoughts. Maybe I'll spend a little bit more on a refurb 8700ub. Too many choices...
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page