PT-AE900U Picture is too Dark ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought this PJ used. I replaced the old 1800 hour lamp with a new genuine Panasonic lamp. PJ distance to screen is 14 feet. PJ is sitting on shelf about halfway up back wall. I'm running a 35 foot 22 awg (THICK) hdmi cable from the bdp directly to pj. I'm using two 8 inch long high speed port savers on the ends fwiw.

I'm using a 100" Grandview fixed frame white 1.0 gain. Viewing distance from screen is 13.5 feet.

The room is painted a flat dark grey, with dark black out curtains. At night time the ambient light is mostly under control other than minor seepage around curtain sides and top.

The problem is the picture is just way too dark. It does look bright in Dynamic picture mode but it is also the most artificial looking. I have had two Samsung plasma's up to 50" and I loved the smooth film like quality, but they also had plenty of brightness. However, this picture is just flat and bland.

Another issue, is the screen door effect which is supposed to have been eliminated with this PJ due to the whole smooth screen technology. I call BS to that! It's very distracting at times. I can see it on peoples faces in lighter scenes. Again, I'm sitting almost 14 feet back. Is this unusual? My brother also noticed it and he wears glasses.

Please help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
No, not unusual. The 900U was a nice projector in its day but really doesn't compare to today's projectors. I was on my third bulb by the time I decided to upgrade to something brighter with more pop - the AR100U. I had the 900U in the same room with my 50" Panasonic plasma which was a big mistake because once you see them side by side there's no comparison. Although it still throws a acceptable picture the 900U is now boxed up and stored in my basement, it's my spare if something happens to my primary projector. With the exception of getting a high gain screen there is little you can do. It is what it is.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking it might help some to get the PJ calibrated, but how much better will it be for the $ spent?

Thanks for your reply Mr. G.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

I'd like to find a good used projector under $500 that can output more light than the 900 and doesn't have any issue with screen door effect. Any suggestions?

Is the Sanyo PLV-Z4 rather equal or better in terms of brightness?

I checked out the AR100U you mentioned. That's quite a bit more than I can afford or desire to. I need to stick to looking at projectors that are maybe a few years old at least but no earlier than say, 2007..?
post #5 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haves a owned both. The Panasonic 900 and the plvz4, they both are pretty close to looks. I think the 900 displayed a better sd picture but light output seems very close. I would look for something else if you want a brighter picture but not sure what with your budget.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-17-2012, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm still amazed I'm noticing the screen door effect when it was supposed to be eliminated with this projector. Are the 1080p projectors immune to this or are my eyes just that good that it won't matter? :/
post #7 of 10 Old 07-17-2012, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

How about a used Epson 8100? That's a later model projector with 1080p resolution. A little bit outside of my price range but I probably can swing it. Any issues with screen door effect?
post #8 of 10 Old 07-17-2012, 05:25 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
You need a 1080p projector.

I would look at getting a projector with much better best mode type lumens and/or get a HP screen. A HP screen can get you that plasma brightness you talk about in your post.

The biggest problem I had with the Panny 900 when I owned one was the vertical banding.........drove me nuts! eek.gif

As far as the screen door goes, a friend of mine has a 720p Acer projector and even from 11' back, screen door was one of the first things I noticed when he was showing it to me.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #9 of 10 Old 07-17-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking maybe the PT-AX200U because it's a more refined model in the PT- line, puts out more lumens, and is still reasonably priced used. But I'm a little nervous to stick with Panasonic because of the SDE that was supposed to have been eliminated.

So, which would likely result in more "pop", switching to a brighter PJ with 1080p or getting a high gain / HP screen with better light reflection? I really only have the money for one or the other right now.

I guess what it comes down to for me is I can't live with seeing this SDE during every movie. Every blu-ray I have watched thus far, I've noticed it on faces and on light backgrounds, and it's incredibly distracting. It looks like I will be upgrading the PJ for now and maybe screen down the road.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-17-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I had never had a problem with SDE with my 900U, if anything I thought it was too soft. What's going on with your projector is not typical.
Quote:
We see a slightly softer image on the AE900 than on the AE700. There is no detectable change in pixel structure when examined close up. This is a subtle effect, and would not be noticed except by direct side by side viewing, and then only if you were looking for it. Standing on its own, the AE900 delivers a smooth, film-like image. Yet we were puzzled by the subtle softness, and were left wishing it were a bit sharper.
Quote:
"Smooth Screen" technology. Panasonic has been at the forefront of reducing visible pixelation and the screendoor effect, two problems that have been traditionally regarded as weaknesses in LCD technology. On the AE700 the screendoor effect was eliminated entirely from any normal viewing distance. Pixelation was suppressed to the point that it is not visible except upon close examination of the screen. This has been retained in the AE900, and perhaps even enhanced slightly.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ae900.htm

You may want to think about DLP projector technology which doesn't suffer from SDE.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page