What is the top rated projector by the AVS community right now? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-15-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I bought my first projector the AVS community was all about the Infocus IN76 with great price, perfect settings out of the box and a great picture for the money. I purchased the IN76 and was very happy with my first projector.

Now I'm looking to upgrade to 1080p.

What projector are you looking at or would you buy if you were in the market right now?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-15-2012, 12:11 PM

Liked: 13
What do you use it for 100% movies or mixed in PC/Console gaming? Most are 3D capable now but some do 3D better and some do 2D better. What is the budget range?

Been in the projector threads here a good bit for the last 8 months and haven't got the impression any one projector as the go to one.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-15-2012, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
100% movies. 3D is not what I'm seeking but who knows, 3D on my 92" screen could be amazing!

As far as budget, I would like to keep it under or at $3K.

If the must have projector was just above $3k then I would not want to exclude it but $3K or under would be best.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-15-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
There is no top projector, they all have trade-offs.
The best two under 3K I feel are the Epson 5010 and JVC RS-45.
Get the Epson 5010 if you want 3D. However, both have gaming lag if you are into FPS gaming.

Otherwise, for a little more money the Sony hw30 has no gaming lag, does 3D ok, and is good at 2D. You can get quite a good image for even much less if you don't want 3D. The JVC isn't good at 3D, the Epson is better for that, but the JVC wins in 2D.

The JVC RS-45 or a B-Stock RS-40 is the best projector for 2D under $3k, unless you are super picky about motion and prefer a DLP or Sony hw30.

See a quick summary in my signature. The best bargain projector is the Mits hc4000 IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #5 of 6 Old 07-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

There is no top projector, they all have trade-offs.
The best two under 3K I feel are the Epson 5010 and JVC RS-45.
Get the Epson 5010 if you want 3D. However, both have gaming lag if you are into FPS gaming.
Otherwise, for a little more money the Sony hw30 has no gaming lag, does 3D ok, and is good at 2D. You can get quite a good image for even much less if you don't want 3D. The JVC isn't good at 3D, the Epson is better for that, but the JVC wins in 2D.
The JVC RS-45 or a B-Stock RS-40 is the best projector for 2D under $3k, unless you are super picky about motion and prefer a DLP or Sony hw30.
See a quick summary in my signature. The best bargain projector is the Mits hc4000 IMO.

Both JVC's have a history of terrible bulb life. I would not get the JVC's if you are a heavy user (1000+ hours a year) and don't like to spend $400 on bulbs every 6 months. This just emphasizes the point that there is no best projector for everyone. But the RS40/45 and Epson 5010 is a good place to start your research.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-16-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page