hc4000 vs , epson 8350 vs, pantasonic pt - ar100u - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-15-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone i need some help with what projector to go with .Im buying my first projector in a couple days and i dont want to screw this up. Im looking to spend $1200 or less . i want a direction on which one i should buy and why .Also if anyone one owns any of these the pro and cons of that model. The projector will be going in a basement so it will be dark .The size is 13 foot wide by 16 foot long . I watch alot of movies and sports.I know the hc 4000 is prob the best picture but what scares me is the placement .I dont understand why its so limited . i have a tall cab with shelfs that i was planning to place the projector. i wanted to do a 120 inch screen if possible .I was just going to buy behr silver screen paint and mix it with behr white pearl ,paint the wall and the frame it with wood.Im sure my questions have been asked a million times but i just want to get the best picture and value for my dollar .thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Have a look here.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

thanks that was extremely useful.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 03:17 PM

I just bought the 8350 and it is very flexible in placement. Great lens shift! The picture is very sharp...watching a baseball game last night and it was very sharp!
post #5 of 9 Old 07-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Liked: 11
Ah, just saw this after replying in your other thread about HC4000 placement. I see you want to paint a screen, which would rule out the tilt-out solution I proposed there.

To be honest, although the HC4000 may have the best picture (arguable), in hindsight I probably would have gone with the 8350 because I ended up being RBE sensitive with the Mits. Obviously placement is a complete non-issue there as well. The only thing that scared me away from the 8350 initially were the copious faulty unit reports you can see in threads here. Not sure what to make of it.

I was able to see the HC4000 right beside the AR100 in the showroom and in most cases, especially darker films, the HC4000 came out wayyyy ahead in picture quality. Only with animated content and when ambient light was turned on did the AR100 start to edge ahead of the Mits.

Mitsubishi HC4000/Elite Screens 120" SableFrame CineWhite/Darbee Darblet/WDTV LIVE HUB/WD MYBOOK LIVE NAS
post #6 of 9 Old 07-17-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

yea I can't tilt my screen. so the mits won't work even 16 ft back? can i.placr it on the floor would that help? I wanted a dlp because it will be in the basement and they can produce a better picture.the Epson I'm worried the blacks aren't black enough and the picture isn't nearly as good as the hc4000.. tiger direct has the benq w1200 for 899 . I don't know how good that one is with placement
post #7 of 9 Old 07-17-2012, 02:00 PM

I know the Mits will work for sure 16ft back ceiling mounted (as low as you can go), but your screen would literally be a few inches off the floor. I used the Projection Throw Calculator on Mitsubishi's site before I bought the projector, taped out different screen sizes (106, 110 and 120) and when the Mits arrived, the calculator was basically dead-on accurate in where things would line up.

Alternately, if you mean can you put the Mits on the floor, like in between seats or something, sure... obviously nothing can be in its path though. I used mine on the floor for a little while before I got my screen and obviously it throws the picture up a lot higher on the wall (a few inches from the ceiling).

Mitsubishi HC4000/Elite Screens 120" SableFrame CineWhite/Darbee Darblet/WDTV LIVE HUB/WD MYBOOK LIVE NAS
post #8 of 9 Old 07-17-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'll end up buying the Epsom 8350 so I don't have to worry about placement. I'm moving to a new place I want to set it on a tall shelf unit adjust the. and be done lol
post #9 of 9 Old 07-17-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techshredder View Post

I think I'll end up buying the Epsom 8350 so I don't have to worry about placement. I'm moving to a new place I want to set it on a tall shelf unit adjust the. and be done lol

Yeah, I moved to a new place too, was super excited for my first home theatre and hit a few snags with the RBE in DLP thing but it's been getting better. If I was in your shoes and hadn't yet bought the Mits, I'd have gone 8350.

I don't think you'd be wrong to go with the 8350. I've read/seen and heard very good things about it and to know you won't have placement or RBE issues, I think it's a no-brainer in your situation. Set it and forget it!

I guess the last suggestion would be to buy it somewhere that has easy returns in case you do end up with a faulty unit. In any case, Epson seems to do a good job in their support area so you will always have that.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page