2 PROBLEMOS PLEASE: Projector shelf too high & fighting reflection! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a ViewSonic projector.

Problem 1:
I'm casting the image onto a whiteboard at a distance of 14'. I mounted a shelf for the projector to sit on fairly high to allow for head clearance as people will be seated directly below.
The problem is having to angle the projector to a great degree in order to display the image onto the whiteboard. Do I need to completely start over and scratch using a shelf? Is there an accessory that might help?

Problem 2:
The whiteboard surface is quite shiny. When seated, you notice the reflection of the projector lens pretty easily. Will I need to purchase a screen to avoid this? Are there any other options?

I've included images to hopefully show what I'm dealing with.

Thank you for any and all help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I see from your pics that the projector is right side up. Why don't you flip it and go into menu and change it so it flips the image so it looks right when flipped. That is what I do and many of us do with ceiling mount. I'm not sure if you realized that you could do that. Now if you already tried flipping it, and that didn't help, than I'll let one of the other guys offer their suggestions.
Your setup is practically a ceiling mount height, so flipping it would be correct at that height.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:52 PM

Liked: 14
Pretty simple.

You see a reflection because glossy surfaces aren't optimum. If you look in the DIY screen section, you will see that flat white paint is generally used.

If you look at any professional screen material, you will see that it doesn't resemble a mirror at all. It more resembles a fine white (or silver, or gray) sandpaper (although the grains are usually not made of little rocks but of tiny glass beads)

You have a somewhat darkened theater, so I would, if I were you, look into white screens, starting with the budget brands. If you have a dedicated theater, you probably can go with a fixed screen.

Or just paint your glossy board with flat white paint.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I knew the projector could be inverted but I wasn't aware that the image would cast differently by doing so. I will try that today. Are there universal feet made to screw into the mounting holes?

I suppose projecting on a whiteboard (glossy surface) isn't going to work. I was hopeful but you just crushed my dreams... lol. I'll look into a dedicated screen to pull down.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Report back after you turn the PJ upside down, I think you will find it does the trick. smile.gif
I have epson dual 80 inch screen , that is pretty good. Maybe look on amazon to see which got the best reviews. Maybe even just a PULL up screen or PULL Down. You got options.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by leland_7 View Post

Thanks guys.
I knew the projector could be inverted but I wasn't aware that the image would cast differently by doing so. I will try that today. Are there universal feet made to screw into the mounting holes?
I suppose projecting on a whiteboard (glossy surface) isn't going to work. I was hopeful but you just crushed my dreams... lol. I'll look into a dedicated screen to pull down.

Not sure what projector you have, but must multimedia and DLP projectors have a set offset. This means the image shoots out of the lens an UP. this allows you to place the unit on a table below the level of the screen. When you put it above the screen, you have to turn it upside down so it now shoots DOWN . For things to line you it has to be above the height of the screen. Check the owners manual for the projector to see how much the offset is.. i.e. how far above or below the screen it needs to be so the image hits the screen correctly.

If this is LCD you may have Lens shift, which will let you leave the projector where it is and move the image down.. I am guessing that is not the case, check the owners manual for install options and placement.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the replies. I have a wall mount projector arm on order as well as a screen. We'll see how that works!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the result. Ended up spending more money but we'll be much more satisfied in the long run. Thanks for all who commented!

Tags
Projectors , View Sonic , Viewsonic Pjd5133 Svga Dlp Projector Hdmi 2700 Lumens 3000 1 Dcr 120hz 3d Ready Speaker