Questions about possible obstructions with screen and projector mounting. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just ordered my Jamestown 130" screen today and will be ordering the Panny PT-AR100U on Monday. The way I am setting up the room is to hang the fixed screen from the ceiling due to cabinets and door, and have it fold up to the ceiling when not in use. The maximum throw I can have for the projector is around 17 feet. At about 9 foot there are two ceiling fans to the left and right. The blades are 12" from the ceiling with about 80" between the tips of the blades. I am wanting to have the screen on the high side. So my question is how high up can I mount the screen without the fans coming into play?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Best thing you can do at this point is to go to Coderguy's projector calculator and plug in your pertinent numbers and see what it comes up with.

http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/

I assume you're pretty handy because rotating a 130" screen up to the ceiling is no small feat.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 07-21-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

I've been looking at that calculator. I'm getting a little confused on some parts of it. The pole mount length is what is recommended for the the projector mount right? With my numbers punched in, it is suggesting a throw of 18' 11". That is right about to the point where I can actually wall mount the projector. I just don't want to get everything mounting and turn it on to find out the fan blades are blocking part of the image. I am assuming that since the fan blades are 12" from the ceiling that that is the highest the top of the screen can go with the blades interfering with the image.

Yeah I know it's going to be tricky to get that screen up without it looking like crap. I just didn't want to go with an electric or manual pull down screen. I am trying to think of a way to do it with maybe so legs off of a fold up table, and do it where it looks good and not thrown together.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Unless I'm missing something all you have to do is make sure the top of the screen is more than 12" below the ceiling. Since you are wall mounting the PJ it can be well below that point as well.

Stace
Old 07-21-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

I am probably making it more complicated than it is.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw5620 View Post

I am probably making it more complicated than it is.

Ya think?

You betcha.

As the Panny has Horizontal & Vertical Lens shift, if you place the Pj so the top of the lens is exactly 12" down from the ceiling, and you have 8' distance from the Lens face to the Screen.....and if you place the Screen's topmost viewable edge at 13", your shifted image's light path will clear the Bladed by a full 1/2". And that is plenty.

Wanna play safe? Mount the Screen's viewable edge at 14" and have an extra 3/4" clearance. As long as the top edge of the screen is no closer than 13" from the Ceiling, you will have no need to place the top of the Panny's lens at anything lower that 12" from the ceiling.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 07-22-2012, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks MM! I sometimes over think things. Is there a benefit of wall mount vs ceiling mount for the projector? I am assuming that the closer the projector the brighter the images is going to be and I am going to be fighting some ambient light so it may be better if I ceiling mount it and move it a couple of feet closer.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

About to place the call to order my projector. Big question now is whether to ceiling mount or wall mount. Both will be easy for me, just the wall mount will be a little easier and cheaper. The wall mount will be mounted on a wall that is shared with a small bathroom so my concerns with that are that the projector will shake every time someone closes the door. The place on the ceiling that it will mount is on a foot or so away from that same wall so projector shaking may still be there. Any pros/cons for one or the other? I am looking at the chief ceiling mount or the wall mount on monoprice.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a difficult question to answer without knowing how solid that bathroom wall is. At 19 lbs. the AR100U is not easily jostled. If you're really worried go with the ceiling mount.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Wall is fairly solid. I think I am going to try the wall mount. I can always ceiling mount later if I wanted to. It's just looking at now $50 vs $250 for a mount.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Can anyone confirm the mounting hole pattern/spacing for the panny ar-100u?

EDIT: I am trying to find out if this mount will work " It can accommodate projectors with a 3 or 4 mounting holes and a spacing diameter of 1.6" to 12.2" (40-310 mm) and a weight of up to 44 lbs (20 kg)."
Old 07-23-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

The more information, the better. Is this the Monoprice wall mount you are considering? One reviewer said it holds up his LG-CF181D projector - almost 22 lbs. The Panny is 19 lbs.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10911&cs_id=1091103&p_id=8804&seq=1&format=4#feedback

Link to CAD drawing.

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/Drivers/PBTS/CAD/PT-AR100_CAD.pdf

The AR100U has five mounting holes but I only used four - it is solid.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks G! I finally found that CAD drawing after about a hour of searching. Yes that is the wall mount that I ordered. I wasn't worried about it holding the weight, more worried about the mounting arms going wide enough.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Can someone explain this to me that I found on projector reviews in dummy terms?
Quote:
Note: With 2:1 zoom lenses, we expect to see a significant loss of brightness going from the closest placement position (wide-angle) to the furthest (telephoto). In the case of the PT-AR100U, the drop in lumens is a bit more than with other projectors. This Panasonic projector lost just over 50% of its brightness. A 40% drop is more typical, and some have even less. Keep this in mind if you want to place the PT-AR100U on a rear shelf, where it's not at its brightest.

There's also a silver lining in that. While projecting to a larger screen means less brightness overall, if rear shelf mounting, choosing a larger screen means less the less telephoto the zoom lens, and therefore the brighter the projector is. Keep that all in mind as you make your decision on screen size, and projector placement!

I guess I am having a brain fart or something but I can seem to understand what they are saying. I really don't want to lose a lot of brightness due to a long lens throw. I will be at 16-17ft throw distance with the wall mount onto a 130" HC grey screen.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

As you can see from the projector calculator at Projector Central the 130" screen puts you about 4 feet behind the most forward position of 12 feet. This will still give you plenty of brightness.

The farthest end of the range is 25 feet 5 inches and you are not going anywhere near that position.

Art's remark about placing it on a back wall means that an installation like that sometimes means using the longest throw available to span the distance, that's not your situation.

A long throw lens is a benefit not a liability.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/home_theater_projector_buyers_guide.htm?page=Installation

Old 07-25-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw5620 View Post

Just ordered my Jamestown 130" screen today and will be ordering the Panny PT-AR100U on Monday. The way I am setting up the room is to hang the fixed screen from the ceiling due to cabinets and door, and have it fold up to the ceiling when not in use. The maximum throw I can have for the projector is around 17 feet. At about 9 foot there are two ceiling fans to the left and right. The blades are 12" from the ceiling with about 80" between the tips of the blades. I am wanting to have the screen on the high side. So my question is how high up can I mount the screen without the fans coming into play?

If the projector and screen are centered relative to the mid-point between two ceiling fans (the line from the projector's lens to the screen's horizontal center goes half way between the two fans) and these fans, at 9 ft. from the screen, are located are approx. half way between the projector and screen, then you will have no issue with the fans as the projected image at the fan's location would only be 50% of the screen width, which is much less than the 80" opening between the fan's blade tips. If the projector and screen are substantially off centered with the mid-point between the fans, then by mounting the projector below the height of the fans and keeping the top of the screen, at most, just a little higher than the fan's height then you will still be able to clear the fans.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com