Infocus IN72 still running after 6000 hrs! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-21-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
No photo shopping or no tricks on the picture. It has 6001 hrs (touch wood). I think I bought it in Dec 2006. I didnt expect it to last for a second Olympics :-)
I just turn it on once and watch for some 3 hrs a night in a cool room. It sits on a coffee table.

BTW I have to say that the new AVS forum format for adding images is a lot easier than before. Very cool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I guess Infocus and other manufacturers should study my lamp to figure out how to make lamps that last for a long time :-)
This may be a fluke but may have the answer for that million dollar question :-)
post #3 of 10 Old 07-29-2012, 10:49 AM

Liked: 10
I'm still using my IN72 that I got mid-2006! with a Bravo D1 player and am very happy with it despite it not seeming to get much respect from some on this forum. I've got less than 500 hours on it though since it wasn't used for about 2 years, so I'm glad to hear I many get many more years out of it. I do think every now and then about upgrading to 1080p, but only when this set-up starts to fail...
post #4 of 10 Old 08-11-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well my Infocus IN72 pretty much completed its second Olympics smile.gif

post #5 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More

post #6 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
That is amazing that you got over 6,000 hours on it. It is old tech level, but still, that is amazing. I hope mine does as good 6 years from now. Now the specs on the IN72 are a little old compared to new stuff out.

IN72 specs:
Technology: Darkchip2 DLP projector
Native Resolution: WVGA 854x480
Brightness: 900 lumens, 720 in Eco mode
Contrast: 2000:1
Zoom Lens ratio: 1.2:1
Lamp life: 3000 hours
Warranty: 1 year

If someone doesn't need 1080p, maybe they can buy in72 used , cheap, right?
post #7 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yep it is just 480p but still throws a great image. Not to mention that it is so quiet compared to other DLP projectors. All the bad focus in some images is because people are always moving. Pictures taken using my Canon Power Shot A570 (also an old technology smile.gif). I have also reduced the blue level as I wanted to avoid looking at bright blue light in the evening/night as it affects my sleep.

BTW I am still using a ND2 filter on my projector and I am still using low power mode. I bought a SONY 46" LED TV some 2 years ago and it is still sitting in the living room unused. I thought my projector would die after some 3000-4000 hrs. It is probably just my luck (touch wood) that the bulb lasted for 6000 hrs and still running.

post #8 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If you don't mind me asking, how many hours do you put on the in72 a week or month?
Those pictures you posted look very good. You got your money's worth from that PJ! Does your PJ get hot, or just warm, obviously must be good temp for bulb to last over 6,000 hours. It was listed as just 3,000 in specs. And you are still using filter to dim it because it's still too bright, even on lowest setting, wow. I would figure after so many hours , the bulb would be dim by now, right?
post #9 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

If you don't mind me asking, how many hours do you put on the in72 a week or month?

If he got in Dec. 2006, that's about 5 years, 9 months, which works out to 2.9 hours per day. Who say's you can't use a projector for daily use?!! smile.gif

I love stories like this.

Michael
post #10 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I use it on an average about 3 hrs a night. This is my main TV. I don't use it during day time. My room is generally clean, no pets, kids. Yep it is hot to touch but that is normal and since it is on a coffee table it gets a lot of ventilation. I turn it on just once a night no matter now long I have to watch. On occasions like Olympics of course or Wimbledon Tennis final etc. when there is stuff to watch during the day, I do use it during the day and have to turn it on again at night. But it happens very rarely. Most of the day time viewing is on a 20" SONY WEGA CRT TV as it is mostly CNN :-)

I guess the bulb has progressively dimmed down but still it is pretty bright at low power mode. Moreover my image is very small for front projection standards, like some 65" due to the size of the room, coffee table mounting and the long throw ratio of the projector.. So it is still pretty bright. I have not removed the ND2 filter at all since the beginning as it also improves the black level a bit.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page