Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-21-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From the Epson 3010 manual:

Quote:
Use the optional external 3D emitter if you cannot view the 3D image normally or if the projector is located more than 16.5 feet (5 m) from the viewing area. See “Optional Accessories” on page 10 for ordering information.

My couch will be19-20ft from the screen, which is 2.5-3.5 ft behind the projector (assuming ceiling mounted at 16.5ft from the screen). According to the manual (image above), the couch will be out of optimal viewing area for 3D, right? Does anyone have real world experience on this?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-21-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0001 View Post

From the Epson 3010 manual:

My couch will be19-20ft from the screen, which is 2.5-3.5 ft behind the projector (assuming ceiling mounted at 16.5ft from the screen). According to the manual (image above), the couch will be out of optimal viewing area for 3D, right? Does anyone have real world experience on this?
thanks!

I have a wee bit of such........

At the distance your considering, the reception of IR to the Glasses will be spotty at best, and unwatchable at worst.

They are trying to tell you that without using the Optional Emitter, the Projector's own emitter's maximum range "From the PJ to the Screen" is 16.5 feet, and that after the attenuation that occurs when the IR beam reflects off the Screen's surface, you yourself "MUST" be sitting within that maximum prescribed distance. Closer is better

And you want to be, because unless your within a certain range from the Screen, the immersion and 3D effects will have a markedly lessor impact.

You only real hope if you cannot sit closer and do not want to install the optional Emitter is to move the PJ forward to within 10% of it's minimum Throw distance for the Screen size you desire to offset the additional distance you've added to the depth from the screen your sitting at. If the relocation distance can be / is proportional to the additional distance beyond the 16.5' limit (worst case example: 20' - 16.5' = 3.5' = PJ located at 12.5' "Maximum" distance from Lens to screen....)

Even doing that still make effective transmission from the screen to the 3D glasses a bit too problematical in my opinion. Effective and correct 3D viewing depends on several variables, and the amount they themselves can vary is pretty slight before performance goes markedly south...or disappears altogether.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 3 Old 07-21-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a lot MississippiMan - didn't know this limitation. If I buy the optional IR emitter, will I be okay from the 20ft or so distance, or I will still have much less immersion and 3D effects?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page