Old 07-23-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I was browing BenQ's website and saw this projector, the GP10;

http://www.benq.com/product/projector/GP10

It seems to be an upgrade to the GP2, but I can't find much information on it. It appears to be a 720p LED projector with 500 ANSI Lumens.

Anybody out there have more details on this projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14

From BenQ site

Fareastgizmos

Projectorcentral

DHIFI

better pictures here

pictures from projectorwindow.com

more pictures from zol.com

Tons of pictures of this thing in action, can't find anything on release date, wonder if it's cheaper to import like that other BenQ.

Here are some more picture links

(sorry can't get google translate to work)

one

two

three

four

five

six

seven

eight

nine

ten

Old 01-03-2013, 11:33 AM

These commercials have the LGPA70G beat, however, not the specs, or the price.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:13 PM

Any info on this projector?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 PM

There are a lot of information about GP10 at zol.com.

http://group.zol.com.cn/comment_332842.html

Here is the comparison of GP10 with others LED PJ rated at the similar lumens. But I don't know how accurate of the review.
http://www.pconline.com.cn/projector/review/1211/3085743_all.html
Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 PM

I bought the BenQ GP10 last week and it looks great in the darken room.

But it is still watchable in a dim room, although not as good as the completely dark room.
This is my first projector, I have nothing to compare with it about the brightness, but it is bright enough for 80 inch diagonal and goes up to 100 inch at night.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:50 PM

The audio out from projector is horrible, completely no bass even the source from HDMI , internal player or computer input. What a crap design.

I have verified with another guy who owned the GP10 , he is having the same issue as well.

The Good
- no warm up focus issue, but the image slightly blur at 100 inch.
- colour and brighness is good enough although not as bright as those lamp based projector.
- The dongle for wireless projection is bundled, good for business man.
- Good looking projector, beautiful design.

Bad things
- Bad output audio quality, no bass, no matter how big of my subwoofer.
- No auto searching from the input source.
- Built in player totally crap, it can't recognize RMVB , and most of my MKV and AVI +MP4 are not playing well.

As a media player it is totally crap and useless. But as a projector it is quite good.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Not sure why you expected anything better. The audio in any projector is marginal, barely suited for a board meeting. This projector is no exception. Only 2 tiny speakers and 3 watts! Most of us here know that if you want decent sound you have to have a separate sound system.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 PM

I'm not talking about the internal 3w speaker, I have a full set of sound system with a huge subwoofer. Whatever output from this projector to my sound system through the audio jack was giving me the sound without any bass.

Even my cheap mp3 player won't give me such result.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Well, you were not clear on that, your post led us to believe otherwise. Anyway, that's one really good reason for taking the sound directly from the source, something we usually recommend.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beloncfy View Post

The audio out from projector is horrible, completely no bass even the source from HDMI , internal player or computer input. What a crap design.

I have verified with another guy who owned the GP10 , he is having the same issue as well.

The Good
- no warm up focus issue, but the image slightly blur at 100 inch.
- colour and brighness is good enough although not as bright as those lamp based projector.
- The wireless dongle for wireless projection is bundled, good for business man.
- Good looking projector, beautiful design.

Bad things
- Bad output audio quality, no bass, no matter how big of my subwoofer.
- No auto searching from the input source.
- Built in player totally crap, it can't recognize RMVB , and most of my MKV and AVI +MP4 are not playing well.

As a media player device it is totally crap and useless. But as a projector it is quite good.

Thanks for the info beloncfy!! i have been looking out for reviews of this particular projector since long....
Hope you keep enjoying your GP10 for a long time.....

just wanted to know a few things from you:
How big an image do you get from the projector and from what distance are you using it?
How is the focus across the entire image for the size you are using? any focus issues beyond 100inch, although you did mention that its a little blurry "at" 100inch....?
Is the remote responsive or is there any lag between pressing a button and its corresponding effect?
Is the lens made of glass or plastic, can you tell??
How good is the contrast and image quality according to you?

lots of questions!!! smile.gif

it would be great if you could make a longer video of the projector in action and share it with us....may be it will clear my doubts in one shot!!

Thanks a lot!!! And congratulations on your new purchase!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigscreenfan87 View Post

Thanks for the info beloncfy!! i have been looking out for reviews of this particular projector since long....
Hope you keep enjoying your GP10 for a long time.....

just wanted to know a few things from you:
How big an image do you get from the projector and from what distance are you using it?
How is the focus across the entire image for the size you are using? any focus issues beyond 100inch, although you did mention that its a little blurry "at" 100inch....?
Is the remote responsive or is there any lag between pressing a button and its corresponding effect?
Is the lens made of glass or plastic, can you tell??
How good is the contrast and image quality according to you?

lots of questions!!! smile.gif

it would be great if you could make a longer video of the projector in action and share it with us....may be it will clear my doubts in one shot!!

Thanks a lot!!! And congratulations on your new purchase!!!

Hi
I have a room with only 2.7m long but I'm still able to get a 102 inch giant screen from 2.5m. This is the only reason why I choose GP10 among of those 500lm LED projectors(k330, Pled 500 and Optima ML500) , definitely the throw ratio is much shorter than the rest.

The focus ring(I don't know whether can it be called as focus ring) is a little bit tight but it doesn't sound bad (Good quality?) . I felt there is a little bit blurry on 100 inch but you still can balance the focus on whole image to get an acceptable sharpness, but only noticeable on text reading such as browsing internet, no problem on Movie. I don't know how does it compare to the rest of competitors such as LG, Acer and Optoma but heard that most of those LED projectors are having focusing issue as well.

Remote is quite responsive, although the navigation effect of the main page is a little bit lagging.

I don't know whether the len is made my glass or plastic, how to differentiate? Will it impact the overall image quality?

The image and quality look very nice in the darken room especially gaming and acceptable with some ambient light interact with it. Just like those 500lm LED projectors but maybe slightly better. Of course my Plasma TV still looks better :P

GP10 doesn't have a lot of tuning on image quality unlike LG and Optoma(heard that optoma and LG have sharpness setting). And until now I can't even find the option to configure auto source searching. But it might be the way to eliminate the HDMI signal drop issue(although I haven't tested HDMI input yet).

Forget about the HDMI audio in to the projector and out to your external speaker, the quality of audio out from this projector is really unacceptable. I'm still dealing with the BenQ tech support to resolve it.

Heard from the distributor said that the K330 are using second grade of DLP chip which is not as good as the DLP chip adopted by GP10, she said GP10 is using first grade of DLP chip, but I highly doubt that where did she get the information from.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:45 AM

Hi beloncfy,

The tight focus ring helps you maintain the correct focus without accidentally making the image out of focus.

I am personally not aware of any methods to confirm if a lens is made of plastic or of glass. But as far as i have read, plastic lenses tend to get affected by the heat generated from the light source and hence they expand a bit during operation leading to focus drift....(as observed in the various clones a.k.a K330, ML500..etc).....its because they use plastic lenses(as confirmed from the respective forums).
Also, plastic lenses tend to get scratched easily during the cleaning and wiping process. Regarding the role of plastic lenses on image quality, well......not much idea except for the focus drift issue.

Have you tested the PJs HDMI yet? Any drop out??

As for the distributors remark regarding Acer's second grade DLP chip and GP10's first grade chip, no idea since Benq hasnt mentioned the display chip type in any of the specifications i have come across. Acer K330 is using 0.45" DMD DLP chip. If you have the details for GP10, you can share it here. But mostly it might be a case of advertising their own product as better than the competition.

Why dont you download the new firmware for the projector if its available in your country and then check if you are able to play your downloaded MKV+MP4 videos and if the sound output from the port is getting better?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:

Hi beloncfy,

The tight focus ring helps you maintain the correct focus without accidentally making the image out of focus.

I am personally not aware of any methods to confirm if a lens is made of plastic or of glass. But as far as i have read, plastic lenses tend to get affected by the heat generated from the light source and hence they expand a bit during operation leading to focus drift....(as observed in the various clones a.k.a K330, ML500..etc).....its because they use plastic lenses(as confirmed from the respective forums).
Also, plastic lenses tend to get scratched easily during the cleaning and wiping process. Regarding the role of plastic lenses on image quality, well......not much idea except for the focus drift issue.

Have you tested the PJs HDMI yet? Any drop out??

As for the distributors remark regarding Acer's second grade DLP chip and GP10's first grade chip, no idea since Benq hasnt mentioned the display chip type in any of the specifications i have come across. Acer K330 is using 0.45" DMD DLP chip. If you have the details for GP10, you can share it here. But mostly it might be a case of advertising their own product as better than the competition.

Why dont you download the new firmware for the projector if its available in your country and then check if you are able to play your downloaded MKV+MP4 videos and if the sound output from the port is getting better?
Hi, I haven't tried the HDMI yet, awaiting my HDMI cable arrive.

I can't find any firmware available for GP10 yet since the website haven't shown it out. Hopefully everything can be resolved by the next release of firmware especially the sound output issue.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:05 PM

If you were to buy a projector would take the same BenQ GP10 ?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ql4w0j7 View Post

If you were to buy a projector would take the same BenQ GP10 ?
The answer is yes because of the throw ratio. I can have 100 inch while the others may get 80 inch at the same distance. Throw ratio is the primary reason why I bought BenQ GP10.

But if I have a larger room then the answer might be no because of the bad quality of audio out from HDMI. I would like to buy an Android Mini PC as a media player at the first place but the audio out issue stopped me.

I wish to have a try on LG PB60g and LG PA70.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:45 AM

Hi beloncfy,

LG projectors are reported to have a lot of focus issues. The images are not sharp across the entire screen....just check out the respective forums for details.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 AM

Hi
I think all of the LED projectors (k330, LG, Qumi , Optoma) are having focusing issue as well at 100 inch. I also can't get a whole image in focus too but still watchable.

It might still be better than the rest , i don't know unless i got one of these to compare.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
that not entirely true. the newer models of (LG PA70G) don't have focus problems. I have a build date of 1-2013 and have good focus all around the screen. once it warms up a few seconds it's focused all around on my 106" screen. well at least mine is smile.gif and It's awesome. here are a few pic's I took with our old 5mp camera the picture is even better in person http://www.avsforum.com/t/1405666/lg-pa70g-led-1280x800-700-lumens/1920#post_23123627
Old 04-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Hi beloncfy,

LG projectors are reported to have a lot of focus issues. The images are not sharp across the entire screen....just check out the respective forums for details.

No, that is not true today. It was true last year when the first production units came out last summer. It is a factory quality control issue, so it is recommended you buy from place that has good return/exchange policy, like fry's.

As of Nov 2012, most are reporting uniform focus is good. I do and others in the pa70g thread.
The pa70g doesn't suffer from warm up focus issue. So when you buy it , if it is focused it stays focused from when you turn it on to when you turn it off.
Now it is important when you place the pa70g in room , that PJ is aligned with center of screen and is straight back from screen , not to the left or right. I noticed this after owning the pj for 4 months. I got excellent focused unit, and last week set it up in different location, and the screen left side was closer than right side by about 6 inchs, and I noticed I wasn't straight back from center screen but left 1 foot and down one foot from center screen, so I noticed slight unfocused left corner. Fixed the screen and moved pj and picture was in focus again.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:

The answer is yes because of the throw ratio. I can have 100 inch while the others may get 80 inch at the same distance. Throw ratio is the primary reason why I bought BenQ GP10.

But if I have a larger room then the answer might be no because of the bad quality of audio out from HDMI. I would like to buy an Android Mini PC as a media player at the first place but the audio out issue stopped me.

I wish to have a try on LG PB60g and LG PA70.

I have a little bit larger room so what you recommend? LED projector of course. previously i had ML500 and acer 330.. focusing issue.

And one more question what about fan nois in BenQ GP10 ? are loud?
Old 04-13-2013, 03:14 AM

For someone who are concerning about the focusing issue, below are the pictures to clear your doubts.

Theoretically I think the GP10 should have better focus for more than 100 inch projection size because it was designed for throwing up to 240 inch

The projection size is around 140 inch. Some of the pictures may look blurry but it was my camera problem , the entire screen still looks in focus.

A little bit blurry on the left but it was due to my camera.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

No, that is not true today. It was true last year when the first production units came out last summer. It is a factory quality control issue, so it is recommended you buy from place that has good return/exchange policy, like fry's.

As of Nov 2012, most are reporting uniform focus is good. I do and others in the pa70g thread.
The pa70g doesn't suffer from warm up focus issue. So when you buy it , if it is focused it stays focused from when you turn it on to when you turn it off.
Now it is important when you place the pa70g in room , that PJ is aligned with center of screen and is straight back from screen , not to the left or right. I noticed this after owning the pj for 4 months. I got excellent focused unit, and last week set it up in different location, and the screen left side was closer than right side by about 6 inchs, and I noticed I wasn't straight back from center screen but left 1 foot and down one foot from center screen, so I noticed slight unfocused left corner. Fixed the screen and moved pj and picture was in focus again.
Hi,
I did what you said on changing the position of projector for throwing, after that everything seem infocus even throw a 140 inch screen.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ql4w0j7 View Post

I have a little bit larger room so what you recommend? LED projector of course. previously i had ML500 and acer 330.. focusing issue.

And one more question what about fan nois in BenQ GP10 ? are loud?

Not really that loud to me, still acceptable especially in eco mode.

My sound system will override the noise from GP10.

If you have separate sound output to your sound system, GP10 should be fine for you. 1.2 throw ratio and 240 inch max size are the clear winner.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye View Post

that not entirely true. the newer models of (LG PA70G) don't have focus problems. I have a build date of 1-2013 and have good focus all around the screen. once it warms up a few seconds it's focused all around on my 106" screen. well at least mine is smile.gif and It's awesome. here are a few pic's I took with our old 5mp camera the picture is even better in person http://www.avsforum.com/t/1405666/lg-pa70g-led-1280x800-700-lumens/1920#post_23123627

Hi thebigdaddye,

If what you say is true, then its going to be great to have a 700Lumens projector without focusing issues. Plus, i think LG has a very good inbuilt media player in their projectors which can play almost any file thrown at them. i had a try at the LG HW300Y about a year ago, and it played the downloaded files flawlessly.

But then the GP10 has a really good throw ratio which could just keep it an inch ahead.

Thanks for your info!!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone confirm what DLP chip the BenQ is equipped with? SQUARE or DIAMOND pixels...The pictures don't display individual pixel structure. Has anyone confirmed 3D works over HDMI @1280x720 / 120hertz with no hacking etc..I am trying
to find an online user manual that might answer some questions but no luck.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeman View Post

Can anyone confirm what DLP chip the BenQ is equipped with? SQUARE or DIAMOND pixels...The pictures don't display individual pixel structure. Has anyone confirmed 3D works over HDMI @1280x720 / 120hertz with no hacking etc..I am trying
to find an online user manual that might answer some questions but no luck.

BenQ GP10 loves diamond, so diamonds are everywhere smile.gif

I haven't tried the 3D capability yet but based on what GP10 owners have commented in the chinese forum, GP10 does support 3D but all of them only tried on PC graphic card.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:

Hi thebigdaddye,

If what you say is true, then its going to be great to have a 700Lumens projector without focusing issues. Plus, i think LG has a very good inbuilt media player in their projectors which can play almost any file thrown at them. i had a try at the LG HW300Y about a year ago, and it played the downloaded files flawlessly.

But then the GP10 has a really good throw ratio which could just keep it an inch ahead.

Thanks for your info!!
By the way , my 1.5 years old LG plasma TV can't even play a MP4 AVI , DIVX and H264 video files. I wish to throw the LG built in internal player away. mad.gif

Shorter throw ratio is very attractive feature among the rest of competitors, although the image quality may not the best but I'm still go with it.

Of course, I was scared by the focusing issue on K330 , Optima and LG when the first released of PA series projectors.

I bought a 5M HDMI cable recently, the image looks sharper than output from vga, it is awesome.

By the way, bad quality of audio out really be considered seriously when you want to buy this projector, all of your android Mini PC or any devices with audio input will not work fine.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:

By the way , my 1.5 years old LG plasma TV can't even play a MP4 AVI , DIVX and H264 video files. I wish to throw the LG built in internal player away. mad.gif

Shorter throw ratio is very attractive feature among the rest of competitors, although the image quality may not the best but I'm still go with it.

Of course, I was scared by the focusing issue on K330 , Optima and LG when the first released of PA series projectors.

I bought a 5M HDMI cable recently, the image looks sharper than output from vga, it is awesome.

By the way, bad quality of audio out really be considered seriously when you want to buy this projector, all of your android Mini PC or any devices with audio input will not work fine.

What u say could be true about a TV from any manufacturer. The latest TVs do run most of the downloaded content i guess bcoz i had a try at the latest LED tv from Sony and it played movies fine.
But projectors are altogether a different story. I certainly do not know why LG media players worked fine on a projector but not so well for you in a TV!! Firmware maybe??!!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:59 PM

Just uploaded a video of 130-140 inch in a darken room.

Tags
Benq Gp10 Dlp Projektor 3d