Projector Choice Help Please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was trying to decide between the models below. The projector will go in a dedicated home theatre room with limited ambient light and was 4.5m wide (14.67"), 4.3m (14.11") long and 2.7m (9") ceiling.

Most likely viewing will be from 4m (14") onto a 100/110" screen and predominately 2D blu ray content.

Epson Home Cinema 5010 or Pro Cinema 6010
BenQ W7000
Panasonic PT-AE7000

Or would it be considerably better to stretch to the next price range?

JVC DLA-X70R
Sony VPL-VW95ES
Mitsubishi HC9000D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I'd say get a B-stock JVC if you are not into 3d.
They are usually under $2k but you may need to wait a few weeks.

But if you are a heavy user (1000+ hours a year) I'd stay away from JVC. Early bulb failure has been well documented.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-25-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Out of the bottom three you were looking at the Mitsubishi HC9000D would be the best bang for you buck projector. You can get one for around $3500 and throws a beautiful picture. If you have the cash the JVC X70 is a nice step up because of the e-shift technology built in. It gives the overall impression of more detail/sharpness. If 3D is something of great interest the Epson 5010 would be your best option out the the ones you listed. It will offer decent 2D performance as well.

You should look into home theater shops around your area. It's nice to be able to actually see them in person. You can read as many reviews as you want but seeing them for yourself will really be the determining factor. All the ones listed throw an amazing picture. There are, though, subtle differences between all of them that make each projector unique. On a personal note when shopping last year I read countless reviews all telling me JVC was the way the to go. It turns out that, for me, DLP was the best fit for what I thought made the best overall picture quality.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-25-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Wow $3500 seems cheap, best buy had the 9000d at $5500. I will have to shop around some more I think. But thank you for the advice of course everyones tastes and preferences are different so I will have to see the picture in person in a similar environment to the one in my room, to make a decision.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page