Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-21-2002, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone!

I am a newbie, just getting interested in the world of front projection...I am in the process of getting my basement finished for a home theater.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone with more experience can answer:
1) I was originally thinking about the SE Cinema 12SF, but I've heard some bad things about DLP's in general, including the rainbow effects and that they can cause headache/eyestrain....that's not something I wanna deal with at all...so my question is: would the Panasonic AE100 be a decent alternative? It's inexpensive (relatively), decent pq from what I've read, and not many artifacts and such. Please give me some advice about this projector.
2) which screen would you recommend for this pj?
3) as far as aspects are concerned, I know this has a true 16:9 display, but what happens when displaying 4:3 material? Do you get grey bars on the sides of the image? Any light spray (or is that only with DLP's)? Is there a way to mask the grey bars?
4) has anyone tried this pj with HDTV input? were the results favorable?

I would really appreciate any and all info, recs, advice, tips, etc...this is a WONDERFUL forum and I'm happy I found it...thanks for your help!

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-22-2002, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the reason you haven't gotten an answer is, all of your questions have been answered time & again before. Just go over the threads on the AE100.

If at first you succeed, try not to look astonished
post #3 of 4 Old 05-22-2002, 09:28 AM

Actually, I was just thinking that perhaps some of the newer folks might not have much experience with the excellent Search feature of this site.

So, here's a very brief tutorial:
1) Click on the small, gray "search" button near the top of any avsforum page.
2) Type in your keyword(s) in the "Search By Keyword" field
example: type "AE100" (without the quotes) to find all threads concerning the AE100, or "AE100 AND screen" to find all threads that contain information about *both* the AE100 AND screens"
3) Within the "Search Forum..." drop-down menu, select the appropriate forum through which you want to search
example: choose "-- Digital Projectors - Under $5000 USD MSRP" to choose this particular Forum. If you *don't* choose a particular forum, the search will go through *all* forums... obviously taking *much* longer to perform your search.
4) Click the gray "Perform Search" button near the bottom of the page.

That's it! In a few seconds you will be presented with a page of links containing your search criteria.

Also, you have tons of flexibility in your searches... you may search by a particular date range, by a user name, etc. One simply needs to play around with the system to gain an appreciation for how powerful this search feature really is.

Enjoy! :)

Ken
post #4 of 4 Old 05-22-2002, 11:55 AM

Quote:
That's it! In a few seconds you will be presented with a page of links containing your search criteria.
Pages in this instance, I am sure of it :D
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page