Anyone near Northern CT willign to demo their HT for me? Specifically their PJ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-24-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to see what other people experience when watching movies and see how it compares to mine as is. I'm really interested in seeing the black level of other PJ's as well, I'm trying very hard to accept my PJ's blacks but it's tough sometimes.

I live about 10 min from Springfield MA and 25 min from hartford smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I live 10min from you what are looking for. I have the hd33 setup and the black levels in 2d are not the greatest. I had a epson 6100 lcd that was better. but in evey other respect the hd33 blows it out of the water.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
I have a 6010, X-30(aka RS45) and X-70(aka RS55) you can see. They are not at the same location though but I can move some around if you want to see them side by side. Feeding Hills is pretty close to Enfield. PM if interested.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Bob,

So how is the black level of the Epson compare to either of the JVC, close or no cigar? I do not care about the 3D comparison, just contrast and depth when viewing dark movies like Alien or Underworld.

Thanks.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The 6010 is probably the most versatile all around projector and best value. It does everything very well but is not a leader in any single category. For 2D the JVC is king and clearly the winner in those areas. I have the X-30 in my house as movies are my priority, I have also had the Epson here and switched for the JVC.

So if someone wants to see the X-30 they are welcome to come to my house. I can also get the X-70 here. For the 6010 it would have to be in Feeding Hills as that install is not easy to move.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

The black level is clearly superior on the JVC. We have had the following in a shootout and here is how I would rate them for black level and contrast.

JVC - Clearly the winner.
Epson - Very good and on very dark scenes not too far behind the JVC but darks scenes with brighter areas the JVC pulls away. A good step above the optoma Gray
Optoma 8300 - Not Bad just don't put it next to the first 2.
BenQ W7000 - The worst by far but in fairness if you need the lumens this thing can be bright in its best modes. Great ambient light sports projector.

I don't have the 8300 or W7000 anymore so those are not available for someone to see.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-30-2012, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Bob, hopefully I can come demo the JVC this week, I'm not looking forward to upgrading right yet but am excited to see how the JVC performs against my Panny smile.gif
post #8 of 8 Old 08-01-2012, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, just to update this, I visited Bob earlier this week and demo'd his X30 against my 4000 and there is a difference in blacks no doubt, but not as big of a difference as I expected per all of the hype (not from Bob, just other user impressions). Another thing that my PJ needs a calibration for is colors. Compared to his X30, my colors were too rich and looked like the X30 if it was in "wide" color mode so that definitely needs adjustment. The blacks also seem to be a bit washed out with a blue tint (to me anyway) and maybe a good cal can fix that. They won't be as deep as the X30 I understand, but maybe better than currently. One last thing that I still have an personal issue with and I even noticed it on the JVC was the lack of detail in dark scenes, but , after it was explained to me, it's just the way it is, you can see more detail if you crank up the brightness but it's really not meant to be seen when it's dark. I still feel that I should be able to get the best of both worlds, dark scenes with lots of dtetails, idk tongue.gif

So, that's all. I learned a lot from Bob so I thank him for taking the time to chat with me and hopefully I can come demo the X30's 3D performance soon smile.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page