Buy Epson 6010 THX mode or 5010 w/ paid ISF calibration - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm trying to decide if I should get the 6010 w/ THX, or a 5010 and pay for someone to come over and get it calibrated. Of course with the lamp over time I'd need to calibrate it again? or not?

How much does it cost btw to have the projector calibrated by a professional?

I read the 6010 in THX mode is already calibrated, and thinking the extra year warranty, glasses and THX is worth the price increase. How much more is it? 5010 looks like it's about 2400 online from one of the sponsors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
THX mode is not calibrated on the 6010 or any other projector. It is just closer to being accurate than other picture modes. You'll have to call local dealers for pricing on the 6010 as they are not sold on the internet. Both the 5010 and 6010 benefit from calibration. Calibration cost svary significantly and cost is not always a good indicator of a good calibration. Look for a calibrator that is experienced with that projector and is willing to spend the extra time to adjust the gamma on that projector. It takes a little work but can make a nice difference.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-26-2012, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Dont forget that if your going with a scope and lens combination, youd want to look at the 6010 due to its available stretch modes.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I picked up the 6010 for $500 more than the 5010 If it's priced at $2400.

I'd like to think it depends on how critical you are of your viewing. I chose the 6010 as I am not close to anyone that can calibrate and I feel the THX modes get it close enough. I do have my own equipment but I read that it drifts over time and might no be calibrating properly so I just decided I wouldn't deal with it. I just throw it in THX mode when I sit down for a serious viewing session.

I am sure you can get a better picture with a calibration, I'm not sure if one could easily tell, also I'm sure the level of calibration would differ from person to person depending on skills.

So I would say get the 6010. Do some tweaks to brightness and contrast and adjust anything else to your liking and leave it at that.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-26-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

I picked up the 6010 for $500 more than the 5010 If it's priced at $2400.
I'd like to think it depends on how critical you are of your viewing. I chose the 6010 as I am not close to anyone that can calibrate and I feel the THX modes get it close enough. I do have my own equipment but I read that it drifts over time and might no be calibrating properly so I just decided I wouldn't deal with it. I just throw it in THX mode when I sit down for a serious viewing session.
I am sure you can get a better picture with a calibration, I'm not sure if one could easily tell, also I'm sure the level of calibration would differ from person to person depending on skills.
So I would say get the 6010. Do some tweaks to brightness and contrast and adjust anything else to your liking and leave it at that.

For $2900 that's a good deal as it comes with the glasses and an extra bulb.. 5010 is selling for 2600 everywhere.. i'd jump on that. where'd you get it at that price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page