AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

AE100 my current config

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  kenfab 
#1 ·
Hi,

Usage at 421 hours at Low lamp mode. No keystone adjustment is used on the projector. NO optical filter on the AE100. Below is my current config in the past 150 hours or so and may stay that way to the end of...

Room setup: size around 8'x9'. Side walls are mostly covered so there is only average light reflection in the room.

Screen: wall mount Vutec BriteWhite 1.5 gain 50"x67" 4:3.

Viewing position: around 110" to screen so it's about 1.6x screen width away.

AE100 position: ceiling mounted around 113" from lens to screen. Min zoom (smallest image) for 16x9 anamorphic and max zoom (biggest image) for 4:3/letterbox source.

Warning: this config is for my own setup and my taste only. The values are NOT some universal magic setting for any AE100. That being say, if one has the exact setup, I do expect one to see a similar picture which looks GREAT! :)

DVD source:

Panasonic RA71 -> S-video (2m StraightWire Silver S-video cable) -> iScan Plus V1 -> 15pin RGB (Canare stock 75ohm 5m 15pin-to-male-BNCs + Canare stock 75ohm 2m female-BNCs-to-15pin cable) -> AE100 15pin VGA input.

Panasonic RA71 config:

All viewing is in the following picture control mode:

U1: Contrast 0 (default), Brightness +5 (default 0, range from 0 to +15), Sharpness 0 (default), Color -5 (default 0, range from -7 to +7), Gamma +5 (default 0, range from 0 to +5).

U2: all default.

AE100 setting values (16x9 anamorphic DVD):

Picture:

Picture Mode: Normal

Bright: -18

Contrast: +15

Sharpness: 0

Color Temp: Warm

W-BAL R: +8

W-BAL G: -6

W-BAL B: +16

Signal Mode: WIDE480

Position:

H-Posi: -8

V-Posi: +19

Dot CLK: -4

CLK PHASE: 0

Option:

PC Priority: WIDE

For 4:3/Letterbox, all values as above except:

Position:

H-Posi: +16

V-Posi: 0

Dot CLK: -8

Option:

PC Priority: Normal

Picture:

Signal Mode: VGA480

HDTV (1080i) source:

JVC DH35000 DVHS (Japanese model) -> 1080i component -> KeyDigital KD-CTCA2 component to RGB transcoder (auto sense mode) -> 15pin RGB (Canare stock 75ohm 5m 15pin-to-male-BNCs + Canare stock 75ohm 2m female-BNCs-to-15pin cable) -> AE100 15pin VGA input.

AE100 setting values:

Picture:

Picture Mode: Cinema

Bright: +12

Contrast: +12

Sharpness: 0

Color Temp: Normal

W-BAL R: -32 (min.)

W-BAL G: +2

W-BAL B: +18

Signal Mode: HDTV60

Position:

H-Posi: +9

V-Posi: 0

Hope it helps.

regards,

Li On

Added: Jun 4, 02.

Panasonic RA71 config:

U1: Color -2 (default 0, range from -7 to +7)

AE100 setting values (16x9 anamorphic DVD):

Picture:

Bright: -8

HDTV 1080i AE100 setting values:

Picture:

Bright: +18

W-BAL R: -22

W-BAL G: 0

END.

See less See more
#3 ·
Wednesday Morning update: OOPS! Li On, I had forgotten that you're now using an Interlaced External DVD Player and not an HTPC. Unfortunately, my External DVD player (Toshiba SD-6200) is not the same as yours and would obviously not be able to replicate the settings of your unit.

Hmmm, I know this may be asking alot, but if you get the chance could you please re-hook up your HTPC (I believe you'd said it was Radeon 7500-based), calibrate that, then add those settings to this thread? Since I own a 7500-based HTPC, I would more closely match your setup (as would many others, I would imagine).

Thanks Li On! :)

Ken

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kenfab
Hmmm, I know this may be asking alot, but if you get the chance could you please re-hook up your HTPC (I believe you'd said it was Radeon 7500-based), calibrate that, then add those settings to this thread? Since I own a 7500-based HTPC, I would more closely match your setup (as would many others, I would imagine).

Thanks Li On! :)

Ken
Hi Li On,

I would be interested in your radeon settings too! Hope its not asking too much.

Cheers!

#8 ·
Hi Bob,

I said in a few posts that the RA71+iScan gave a excellent PQ almost as good as my HTPC setup. Now that was a while ago. With my current final tweaked config, I'd like to say it's actually better than my old HTPC picture!

I've a major issue with the Radeon HTPC setup (a first generation Radeon 32M DDR, WinXP sees it as a 7200), the Radeon overlay Gamma control affect the color rendition. If I push (upto 6) Gamma to reveal ALL shadow detail, flesh tone looks pinkish! The AE100 R/G/B adjustment does compensate a bit but I never really find a perfect sweet spot for the most balance picture. It's already good enough and I can live with that.

As always, it's a give AND take. They all have their own issues. For perfectly flagged film source DVD, the HTPC may still edge out a bit but I watch MANY video source DVD too and the HTPC just can't match the RA71+iScan deinterlace performance.

Now my biggest issue with the RA71+iScan is the DAMN Marcovision problem. It cause picture distortion at image top so vertical panning in 1.85:1 movie looks a bit weird sometimes. No problem for 2.35:1 as the distortion is in the black bar only. Of course, the HTPC don't need to deal with the damn "quality control" as Marcovision claim that's what it's doing! But hope is coming. I just found a place to modded the RA71 for Marcovision free. Will have the result by this weekend.

Convenience is good but PQ is more important. Now I've both! :)

regards,

Li On

#10 ·
I'm sure many AE100 owners like me are following this thread in the hopes of significantly improving their picture. The one change I made last night made a dramatic improvement.

The 25' m/m svga cable I purchased from pccables arrived. I had been using a cheap 6' vga cable I picked up at a local pc store. I swapped them out, prior to snaking it in the ceiling, hoping the picture wouldn't degrade. The improvement to black detail and contrast was immediate. I didn't get a chance to mess with gamma or rgb settings yet. All I can say is if you are not using a quality cable to connect your HTPC you are not getting the most out of the projector.

Jeromes excellent review in this thread was done using the cheap cable. Another visit may be in order:).

Regards

Gregg

#11 ·
Absolutely! Sorry I've been away for a few days. Both my home PC and internet gateway router went up in smoke and I need to replace some hardware. I will be down at home for the next couple of days.

--Jerome

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.