Indoor/Outdoor projector under $750 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help me to choose between conflicting wants. I know I'll have to make compromises, and the quality wont be terrific by the standards of many posters here. But I'm not overly picky - I just want to make the best choice with my budget and then enjoy it. The budget is $750, but lower is better. I'd prioritize reliability and replacement blub cost about equal to image quality.

My uses are: 50% movies- DVD, Blu-ray or online content. 25% sports - over the air HDTV and online. Lastly, 25% for TV shows over the air HDTV and online. In both cases, I'll use HDMI input, but audio will be handled by a receiver & speakers. No 3d needed. My kids may play Wii on it, but that is not a priority.

I'll use it mainly in my TV room - which is 14*14 with 9" ceilings. It has three windows which I can close with curtains, and a large doorway which wont be closed, and that area has a window which can't be closed. But if need be, I could put a large curtain in the doorway. I'll mount a pull down screen to use it. I also want to use it for occasional outdoor movies. In both cases I want as big a screen as I can get - I figure about 120" inside, and perhaps 12' outside.

To repeat - I'm not expecting miracles, but last year I projected a movie with a cheap business projector and the quality was fine for me, so I think I'll be pleased regardless. I figure that in a few years I may shift the projector for only outdoors, and my garage man cave, and get a new projector for just indoors.

Based on research so far, I'm considering the Epson 710HD for $650, or the Optoma HD66 for $580. What do you think about those two models? Or is there something else I should consider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Epson 710HD, Optoma HD66 or Optoma GT750 is a viable option, if you can stretch your budget a little more, perhaps you can consider a Full HD pj Viewsonic PRO8200
post #3 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Don't forget about the Benq w710st which is said to have better contrast due to the IRIS. Never seen it personally, but some people have said it beats the GT750.
Just make sure to weigh all the options and don't get too worried about it, once you pick one it'll be fine.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #4 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The 1080P Benq EP5920 is on sale directly from Benq with the discount code "DEALNEWS$50" for $750. The year is 2012. There is no reason to buy 720P anymore. I have their W1100 for over a year now with almost 3,000hrs on it. It's a nice step-up from the Optoma HD70 I have.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Interesting, that is a new PJ I've never heard much about or seen yet. That is a good deal for 1080p, that and the Viewsonic Pro8200 are probably the two cheapest. There are also a couple Acer 1080p's sometimes close to that price on special. Also some refurbished or used units can be had at times.

I would generally agree no reason for 720p if he can budget it, but I was just noting that if he did go 720p, the w710st has better contrast than some of the others mentioned. Now these cheaper 1080p projectors are still not going to match the contrast of an IRIS'd projector, but they will produce a better image in many respects.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #6 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

The 1080P Benq EP5920 is on sale directly from Benq with the discount code "DEALNEWS$50" for $750. The year is 2012. There is no reason to buy 720P anymore. I have their W1100 for over a year now with almost 3,000hrs on it. It's a nice step-up from the Optoma HD70 I have.

here is one pro review on the benq ep5920:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq_ep5920_home_entertainment_projector_review.htm?page=Limitations

Now the Benq ep5920 , 1 year warranty, 10 watt total internal speakers, not that bright compared to pro8200, no user reviews on Amazon, hasn't been tested by users, nobody knows if it's a gaming machine, ... for about same price as pro8200.

The viewsonic pro8200 has 3 year warranty, 6,000 hours on eco mode, IS A LIGHT CANON, has super low lag if you ever plan to game. Has for 2 years either got either 2nd BEST PJ of 2011 along with the epson 8350, and honor mention this year by ART, has 20 watt (10x2) internal speakers, sharp, has lots of user reviews and pro reviews, has lots of posts on the forum rooms. And one of the few DLP PJ's with very LOW Rainbow Effect. Is around his price point.

I agree with others, if you are gonna spend 700 dollars, why would you get 720p? It's like buying a low def TV a year AFTER the digital changeover to HDTV. How would you feel about getting a 400x300 projector? or 800x600 , what would be your gut feeling. Same reasoning, ... most would say not enough detail and would not be clear, especially if you blow the image up 100x on big screen. 720p was 5 years ago tech level for HDTV, but for PJ 1080p. Think Blu-ray movie, football on cable, 360 game, pc screen, on small screen 720p is good, 32 inch hdtv, but at sizes 10x bigger, you need 1080p I would think.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like stretching my budget $50 for the PRO8200 makes sense.

But is 2000 lumens enough for a big screen outdoors?
post #8 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_c View Post

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like stretching my budget $50 for the PRO8200 makes sense.
But is 2000 lumens enough for a big screen outdoors?

Not at mid-day!

It was a joke. smile.gif

Hell yeah, the pro8200 will be brighter than the other choices. Now it depends how big a screen , I'm using about 100 inch wide screen and it's super good at night. I will let others comment on their experience. The pro8200 is good for indoors, den, living room and OUTSIDE (at night) smile.gif . Now if you have a 600 inch screen , no! smile.gif You have to think flashlight, the further away this flashlight is from the screen the image would be bigger but the image would be darker. So from 12 or 16 feet away I'm thinking the pro8200 would be good choice.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 12:33 AM

I've been researching for one of these for an outdoor poolside theater as well.

I'd research here http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php?board=8.0 for good info on the outdoor aspect.

You will need lots of lumens for outdoor use to deal with starting movies at dusk.

Many users on those forums love the Epson 705 HD (710 is an updated model?).
I saw one user using this light cannon InFocus IN126 (3200 lumens for $600) on one of Carl's screens

You can get more ideas from Old Algebra's website (she posts quite a bit on BYT website)

Trying to balance 1080p (mainly for indoor image quality) versus 720p (higher lumens while keeping cost down) will be your decision.

I'm leaning toward the gigantic 22 ft wide screen from Carl's, so the big lumens will be needed.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page