I just bought a sweet home theater room with a house attached !!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 07-28-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wooohooo... Sooooooo excited...

We just bought our first house (a foreclosure) and I was ecstatic to learn it has a fully wired, good-sized media room in the basement! And it's not a room converted to a theater, but rather it was originally designed and built to be one (5 years ago). The room has no windows and a tightly-sealed 3" alder door that, when closed, allows the room to become pitch black. So light is not an issue at all.

The ceiling has 2 rows of five dimmable inset LED's and all the wiring and outlets I could ever want.
The walls are also wired for a 9.1 system. (But I have no speakers, AVR, projector or screen so I have to build this system from the ground up)

The room is a perfect rectangle:

length - 24' 8"

width - 10' 1"

ceiling - 9' 10"

The screen wall is beautifully framed in knotty alder and below has 3 rows of component shelves, plus a door on each side with cutouts with speaker material inserts. I can tell there was once a fixed screen on the wall which I assume was removed by the previous owner.

By my measurements, the wood-framed screen area is 8' 8" wide x 5' high... which (I think) would accommodate 120" screen.

Intended uses:

70% -- Movies, movies, movies... I LOVE MOVIES, all kinds!
(I don't really care about 3-D. It sometimes gives me a headache, and I'd rather wait a few years until the technology advances further)

15% -- Football & Baseball

15% -- Television

0% -- Gaming (not my thing)

So... my questions for anyone willing to help are... given this room set up, intended uses & no interest in 3D:

1) what projector would you recommend under $2000. & why?

2) what projector would you recommend under $3000. & why?

3) what would be a good fixed screen for this room, considering ambient light is not an issue?

I would be very appreciative of any advice or ideas any of you might have.

Cheers! biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-28-2012, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Sounds really nice, grats on your new home! If you haven't really seen all the different type of PJ technologies in person, then you might want to see which you may like better by viewing some of 'em in use. Some people like DLP, but some see a rainbow effect and can't watch 'em. Some dont like the the film effect of other tech. Check some out and see what you like, or can watch without a problem then that will help you narrow down to price/brand.
post #3 of 30 Old 07-29-2012, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Sounds like a great room. For pure movie vewing in the $2k to $3k range in a dark cave and no 3d or gameing I would go with the DLA tech of JVC or Sony for the great black levels. If you want the hasel of big and difficult setup of a CRT projector black levels are the best. If your into makeing your own screen checkout the great DIY section. Under $2k lots of choices in LCD or DLP read read read all you can about each.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #4 of 30 Old 07-29-2012, 04:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Simple answers:

PJ (way under) under $2K: http://www.visualapex.com/Epson/Projector-Specifications.asp?For-The=Home-Cinema-8700UB-R&SE=Google&KW=HC8700UB-R&gclid=CN25qP7XvrECFROd7QodQFEAsw

Great Blacks, sharp image, easy installation, no chance of RBE, 2 yr Warranty on PJ & Lamp

PJ under $3K: Epson 5010 Even greater Blacks, sharp image, easy installation, no chance of RBE, 2 yr Warranty on PJ & Lamp

Screen:
1st Choice 58" x 104" (119" diag.) DIY Screen....sprayed w/ RS-MM LL Cost $225 w/Velvet Trim

2nd Choices
116" Diag. Fixed http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix_Widescreen_Fixed_Frame_Screen_115_White_p/ff169lt-110mw.htm
120" Diag. Fixed http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-Screens/Projector_Screen_Details.asp?chPartNumber=R120WH1

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 30 Old 07-29-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 67
If you are a movie person, go with a jvc projector. AVS has b-stock rs40s for around $1800 and you can buy a new rs45 for around $2500
post #6 of 30 Old 07-29-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
second the JVC. Don't go crt (spent a lot of years messing with crt, it is OBSOLETE)
lycos100 likes this.
post #7 of 30 Old 07-29-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 223
While it's well known the JVC has exceptional IQ, just the known issue involving premature (...very premature...) Lamp Dimming and/or outright failure makes their selection problematical at best, and inadvisable for sure should the TS/OP want a basically trouble free insertion into FP advocacy. Personally, I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for suggesting one to a NOOB to front projection.

The above should not infer that Epson, or any other Mfg than JVC would be completely trouble free. We could only wish...., and picking up a PJ like a RS-45 at a Firesale price has to be tempting. My comments are based on extensive experience, as well as the flood of member posts regarding ongoing issues, primarily involving lamp longevity.

Simply put, even a cursory overview of the various JVC threads show a raft of individuals (ie: a poop load) have experienced multiple Lamp Failures. To be fair, JVC has for it's part stepped up the free replacement of such lamps that do have a early demise, but at times they are not "expeditious" about doing such, and/or require that the offending Lamp be in their hands before replacement. (...recently, the sending of images of the Lamp's structure has sufficed...)

Brook no mistake, I'm almost a Fanboy of JVC products that are not consistently on the blink, and as a Custom Design / Installer, more accepting than most of the usual "Murphys" that go hand in glove with selecting PJs based on sheer performance. But just the same, the best PJ on the Planet isn't worth dried Owl Poop on a cold Forest floor if it's not working when you want it to....repeatedly. JVC's are among the most expensive of the choices....Re-furbs notwithstanding, and beyond the RS-1, RS-2, RS-10 and RS-20 units of 3-4 years back, the latest crop has been just to "issue-y" for me to suggest 'em anymore. The last 4 JVC units I have installed (all X3s) have all had between 3-4 lamp replacements each, and 2 of 'em have had serious Firmware / Power supply issues.

Run away...run away...run away...run away...run away...run away.......and get a DLP or LCD with a better "current" tract record.
lycos100 likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #8 of 30 Old 07-29-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The Epson is better for ambient light, and 3D usage, but the JVC is the better projector for movies in a dark room. If you want 3D, don't get the JVC, otherwise consider it.

You have to look at the lamp issue as part of the overall cost of the projector based on your usage. If you can get another comparable projector for $2500ish but a B-stock for under $2000, you already have $500+ to spend on an extra lamp. That said, even for the lamps it depends how many hours per year someone uses their projector and how long they care until the lamp has to be replaced. If you use your projector under 500 hours per year, it's not as big of a problem. For heavier users, it can be a problem but not as much so if you got a good deal on it in the first place.

As someone that watches all the JVC threads, I have not seen anymore failures than other LCOS projectors except for the lamps. DLP is sometimes more reliable than LCOS over many years (sometimes) because the tech is generally simpler except for the color wheel (but CW's are far more reliable now than they used to be), however LCD reliability is about the same as LCOS. The projectors themselves failing are not real common, usually it is the lamps. With warrantied projectors, the PJ failing itself is not the primary thing to worry about.

As another person that has seen the recent Epsons and JVC, the average JVC has three advantages:

1) Pixel Fill of LCOS - The image produced is more consistent and smoother. Pixel fill and Pixel SIZE still matters, if it didn't people wouldn't spend thousands extra for E-Shift and 4k up-scaling.

2) Sharpness - So far Zombie, JMALTO, and many other posters in the SHOOT OUT thread have all agreed the JVC is sharper than the Epson 5010 on average. Even across 5+ samples everyone in that shootout has pretty much put the projector's sharpness in this order, 1) Benq w7000 and mid-priced DLP's, 2) JVC RS-45/RS-55 3) Cheaper DLP's, 4) Panny 7000 & Epson 5010 about the same, 5) other pj's

3) Black Levels

Whereas the Epson 5010 has these advantages:

1) 3D far superior with the Epson

2) Epson is brighter for ambient light due to having torch modes

3) The Epson calibrates better because the RS-40/45 does not have a full CMS, and the color on the Epson is generally a bit more pleasing overall (although most wouldn't notice that much).
lycos100 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #9 of 30 Old 07-29-2012, 03:03 PM

Liked: 11
Off topic, BUT...Still about the topic....

"I just bought a sweet home theater room with a house attached !!!"

That must be put in the running for (Best Thread Title Of The Year)...LOL

Well if we voted on stuff like that.
lycos100 likes this.
post #10 of 30 Old 07-30-2012, 03:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by The big picture View Post

Off topic, BUT...Still about the topic....
"I just bought a sweet home theater room with a house attached !!!"
That must be put in the running for (Best Thread Title Of The Year)...LOL
Well if we voted on stuff like that.

Lets vote!

1. I just bought a sweet home theater room with a house attached !!!

2. I just simply walked into Mordor, and lived to tell about it!

3. I just got a Dell, dude!

4. I just found Waldo!
post #11 of 30 Old 07-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
If you are a heavy user (1000+ hours a year) I'd stay away from the JVC's. Unless you like spending $500 every six months on bulbs.

I'd go with either a Panny ae4000 (hard to find now) or Epson 8700ub.
lycos100 likes this.
post #12 of 30 Old 08-16-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

I want to thank all of you for your responses, and I apologize it has taken me so long to acknowledge them. I had a close family member go into the hospital for over two weeks and all thoughts of a home theater fell right off my radar. But I am again doing the research and hoping to make a decision soon. I've been reading up on the Epson 5010/6010 as well as the JVC RS45 and it seems both are pretty darn good machines, though each (as is nearly always the case) has its drawbacks as well.

But again, thanks for all the good advice/recommendations, and I look forward to the day I can finally push "play". biggrin.gif
post #13 of 30 Old 08-31-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

If you are a heavy user (1000+ hours a year) I'd stay away from the JVC's. Unless you like spending $500 every six months on bulbs.
I'd go with either a Panny ae4000 (hard to find now) or Epson 8700ub.

I have about 400 hours on my lamp and I am still using low lamp with the iris closed down 3/4th of the way. Shooting onto a 9' wide scope screen with 0.85 gain.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #14 of 30 Old 09-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I don't think you would be disappointed in a refurbished Epson 8700ub (or the 8500ub if available) combined with a Carada Brilliant White screen. Both would fit well in your budget.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
post #15 of 30 Old 09-06-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Is the OP aware that new Epson 5020 will be out next month?
post #16 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Is the OP aware that new Epson 5020 will be out next month?

Doesn't seem like there's a lot to get excited about (change wise) - at least from this news story.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/epson-home-cinema-projectors/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #17 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry but to me the author of that article sounds like a JVC nut hugger or not a fan of epson. 200K to 320K C/R is more than just a "slight bump". And he failed to mentioned worthy upgrades like the improvements in the wireless transmitter, THX modes, 2 pairs of lighter rechargeable 3D glasses, and 6K lamp hrs.
post #18 of 30 Old 09-11-2012, 08:14 AM

24' X 32' room (about 800 sq. ft.) 17 ft ceiling, 206" screen size, 11.1 sound, using a 8700ub (also two previous models used) and is absolutely fantastic. Your room size is similar so my recommendation is what I did....................you will not regret it. My place is VERY, VERY popular with everyone, especially when an "event" occurs. I just added a Roku for yet more content availability and so far happy with its abilities.
Hope this helps
post #19 of 30 Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzothekat View Post

24' X 32' room (about 800 sq. ft.) 17 ft ceiling, 206" screen size, 11.1 sound, using a 8700ub (also two previous models used) and is absolutely fantastic. Your room size is similar so my recommendation is what I did....................you will not regret it. My place is VERY, VERY popular with everyone, especially when an "event" occurs. I just added a Roku for yet more content availability and so far happy with its abilities.
Hope this helps

16:9 or 2:35:1? I thought my screen was big! eek.gif

Either way I have screen size envy. smile.gif

post #20 of 30 Old 09-11-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

16:9 or 2:35:1? I thought my screen was big! eek.gif
Either way I have screen size envy. smile.gif

16:9 ratio, and I will never go smaller, only bigger (screen size). To me it is the ONLY way to go, if you can that is, the room really needs to be big enough to easily fit the screen and seating.
It really does make you feel like you are in a small comercial theater.
post #21 of 30 Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you post pictures of your setup? I'd love to see it. My screen in 2:35:1 is 158", I wonder what that equates to in 16:9? I have a constant height setup so my 16:9 is only 124" when I zoom back in. I have noticed that when I turn off a 2:35:1 movie and switch back to tv before adjusting the zoom it's still plenty bright at that size, and the pic goes almost to the floor and higher than the top of the wall on a 7'7" wall.

post #22 of 30 Old 09-13-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Can you post pictures of your setup? I'd love to see it. My screen in 2:35:1 is 158", I wonder what that equates to in 16:9? I have a constant height setup so my 16:9 is only 124" when I zoom back in. I have noticed that when I turn off a 2:35:1 movie and switch back to tv before adjusting the zoom it's still plenty bright at that size, and the pic goes almost to the floor and higher than the top of the wall on a 7'7" wall.

I will try with the only pic I have with me:

Taken with an older cell phone so not very high quality.
post #23 of 30 Old 09-13-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

My god. eek.gif that is incredible. smile.gif

How wide is the screen? I want to put it in perspective.

post #24 of 30 Old 09-14-2012, 03:31 AM

Quote:

My god. eek.gif that is incredible. smile.gif
How wide is the screen? I want to put it in perspective.

This is kind of funny but it is a 16:9 ratio that measures almost exactly 16 foot wide by 9 foot tall. The room is 24' X 32' with 12' wall height and 17' peak. Ceiling mounted fans and a mini-split heating and cooling unit which believe it or not actually lowered my A/C cost for my whole house by 30% (by keeping my main unit from running mostly) even though I added about 800 square feet for the room.
I have been contemplating making the screen a foot bigger since I can fit it in. It is a very open and "editable for the situation" theater room. One of the most popular things to do is PS3 racing with the steering wheel that has feedback. You can't help but have your heart beat skyrocket and clench the wheel like it was your last time on earth since it is so real feeling when you are 8 feet in front of the screen (your field of view is pretty much full of the image at that distance). I use one of those video game chairs (very low to the ground and laid back like a race car) with the wheel "mounted on a contraption of 2x4's" to really enhance the realism of the games.
post #25 of 30 Old 09-14-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

That's what I'm talking about. No more of these 100-110" mickey mouse sizes for me

BTW I love Carp's 158" screen,,that is perfection. But why does his look more 16 x 9 than Enzo's?
post #26 of 30 Old 09-14-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

You know, I have directv dvr to record every ep of Million Dollar rooms and Beautiful homes and real estate and I have seen all them and IMO Carp's screen is the best I've seen. It's kinda funny that those million dollar homes with their vast 10-12 seat theaters always seem to have a 110" or smaller screen and Carp's with his 2 lazy boy recliners and massive 158". Imagine how good that screen would look with a new epson 5020 or one of the new entry JVC's.
post #27 of 30 Old 09-15-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Zoey, not that it's true that I can compete with mega bucks setups, but I do agree that it's odd that so many of those systems choose to go with smaller screens. I'm obviously not a videophile, so maybe they see things I don't and it causes them to prefer a smaller screen. For me, when I first fired up the projector and played with the size of the image it seemed to just look better and better the larger it got.

I highly recommend using the wall and buying the projector first. I had just the wall for the first 2 months before I messed with a screen.

Here are some shots of the first weekend I had the projector. I knew right away I wanted to go as big as possible, and if my wall would have been taller I would have gone even bigger, I did have to leave room for a center channel. Please excuse the mess.

024.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

Image size is around 61 inches tall in all 3 photos, that's what I ended up with for a screen size.

post #28 of 30 Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah, when I 1st saw my 1080UB at the seller's house from craigslist projected on his wall I was in shock and bought it right there and then. Now don't get me wrong it looks great on the wall but I got a simple entry 100" electric from Elite 1.1 gain right away because I can't watch a full movie on the wall as after a while it just seems like it's too washed out from the wall paint which in my case it was beige.

As for the smaller screen size. I Know why they do that. It's because their HT installer/designer always seem to recommend quality over size so it's not really "their control". I would dare say at least 90% of them just let their assistant or property manager hire and handle the HT and they only thing they decide on are the colors and style of seats. I'll just say loosely that most don't know the technical part of it, they just want it done and sign the checks.

But now I know what I want when I hit mega millions...158" - 2.35:1 and built everything around that. I do prefer the big soft sofa style couches and loungers over the singular movie theater chairs. I still want my HT NOT to look at a movie theater but more like a family room with a big ass screen if you catch my drift.
post #29 of 30 Old 09-17-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

That's what I'm talking about. No more of these 100-110" mickey mouse sizes for me
BTW I love Carp's 158" screen,,that is perfection. But why does his look more 16 x 9 than Enzo's?

I totally agree, I cannot understand anyone putting six figures + into a room and ending up with 100 - 150 inch screens. Just for comparison total cost for "everything ,furniture, equipment including building the room itself" was less than $35,000. Absolutely the best bang for buck I have ever committed to.
post #30 of 30 Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh jeez, anything close to 150" would have been better. But I'm talking about those with 3 or 4 rows of seats and they have 96", 110". For 3 rows of seats a 125" would be the minimum.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page