Epson 6010 won't power on - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have our new Epson 6010 installed on May 30, 2012 mounted on a 15 foot ceiling. About every third attempt to power on this projector, nothing happens. The only solution is to bring out a tall ladder and press the power on button. Not an ideal solution. We replaced the first 6010 with another but the same problem happens with the replacement.

Apparently Epson has finally admitted this is a problem with the 6010 (and probably the 5010 as well) and they plan to correct this with a new firmware version 1.6. It can't happen fast enough for us. Last evening, we invited 28 friends to watch the Olympic Opening Ceremony. Same thing happened again. Got the ladder out from the basement, pressed the power button and then we're OK but still embarrasing. Probably not a big deal if your projector is mounted on a table or a low ceiling but if you are thinking of mounting this projector on a high ceiling where the power on button is only accessible by climbing a ladder, this projector may not be for you until Epson fixes this with a new firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 AM

Liked: 12
what is your source confirming that Epson knows about this problem?
post #3 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k02c5 View Post

what is your source confirming that Epson knows about this problem?

Dealer ultra escalation
post #4 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1402198/strange-remote-control-issue-epson-3010

*My 5010 is from the 1st batch in Dec2011 and I've never had any remote issues.
I'm currently running FW v104

post #5 of 17 Old 07-31-2012, 06:19 AM

Maybe this would help with your 15ft ceiling prior to 1.6 update . Insert a main power switch somewhere between and turn off after your HT enjoyment , Only turn on before your next movie and you will have no remote problem , apparently , extended power standby causes this problem , no more standby , no problem .

I am doing the same and also help saving some power bill .

Larry
post #6 of 17 Old 07-31-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Ng View Post

Maybe this would help with your 15ft ceiling prior to 1.6 update . Insert a main power switch somewhere between and turn off after your HT enjoyment , Only turn on before your next movie and you will have no remote problem , apparently , extended power standby causes this problem , no more standby , no problem .
Larry
I've had my 5010 in standby for over 2 weeks and it powered up with no problem.

Those of you who are having the issue, do you have the power off confirmation disabled so only a single command is needed to power it off to stand by?
Also, what is the voltage of your AC power. Mine sits around 120-122.

post #7 of 17 Old 08-02-2012, 06:46 AM

I am using 220 volts main and I put it into standby by pushing the Standby button once - never any problem to put it into standby and no problem to turn it on again by next day or two , after several days or weeks of standby , I might have remote on problem , need pushing PW button . Now , I simply cut off the main and only supply power an hour earlier to warm up the unit , then , no more remote on problem ! Many need version 1.6 to fix it .
post #8 of 17 Old 08-02-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am using 220 volts main and I put it into standby by pushing the Standby button once - never any problem to put it into standby and no problem to turn it on again by next day or two , after several days or weeks of standby , I might have remote on problem , need pushing PW button . Now , I simply cut off the main and only supply power an hour earlier to warm up the unit , then , no more remote on problem ! Many need version 1.6 to fix it .
I've seen no official report that Epson has validated this as an issue or IF it will be addressed with the next FW release.

The reason for asking about EXACT power being applied to the projector is that one owner solved his issue by bypassing the UPS, which may have been providing/regulating power to high or low for the projector. Those with issues should just see if their power level is near 115-120AC/220AC just to see if there is a commonality.
There's not many reports on this and it may help isolate/solve the issue if Epson does not acknowledge it as a widespread issue.

[Speculation]It may be that if the AC power is to high or low the AC-DC convertor may not be applying adequate power to the remote circuitry causing odd behavior.[/Speculation]

*I usually only use my projector once a week and it powers on everytime using the remote.
This was on FW v1 & 104.

post #9 of 17 Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Larry

Thanks Larry. I've affected the same thing on my URC MX-980 by programming a Reset button that has the same effect as unplugging and then plugging the pj back on. I only need to use this about one in 3 times after the pj has been in Standby for a few days. Epson should include your solution in their setup manual (an on off switch). As it is now, when users complain about this power on problem, Epson expresses ignorance and sends a replacement pj. A very expensive process for them since this problem exists in all pj's. I had them send a replacement and the same power on problem existed on the new one, the same as others reported when a replacement was sent. After I complained again, they sent me a disk with firmware 1.4 without asking what version I had. Both my pj's already had firmware 1.4.

If Epson monitored this forum, it could be very cheap R & D for them.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-06-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

So far there have only been 6 reports of this issues from 100's if not 1000's of 3010/5010/6010 owners just at AVS.
Even with a replacement, those with this specific issue still have the same problem.
It may be something in your environment that is causing the issue.
If this was a widespread issue, believe me, you would hear it loudly here.

I would look at things like AC power(level and may be hertz, noise).
Any RF in the room that interfere
Make sure the connected equipment in the HDMI chain to the projector HDMI is not configured to send HDMI on/off commands(Anynet, HDMI Link, etc)

May be next time this happens, try disconnecting the HDMI cable from the projector and see if the remote works.

post #11 of 17 Old 08-06-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

So far there have only been 6 reports of this issues from 100's if not 1000's of 3010/5010/6010 owners just at AVS.
Even with a replacement, those with this specific issue still have the same problem.
It may be something in your environment that is causing the issue.
If this was a widespread issue, believe me, you would hear it loudly here.
I would look at things like AC power(level and may be hertz, noise).
Any RF in the room that interfere
Make sure the connected equipment in the HDMI chain to the projector HDMI is not configured to send HDMI on/off commands(Anynet, HDMI Link, etc)
May be next time this happens, try disconnecting the HDMI cable from the projector and see if the remote works.

This sounds like an official Epson response to the problem we have encountered. Are you an Epson rep or are you referring to only the 6 reporting this problem in this forum? It could very well be that those experiencing this problem don't bother to report it since their pj power button is easily accessible (on a desk or low ceiling) and just pressing the power button solves the problem. Your suggestion of unplugging the HDMI cable is no help to us since it is inaccessible in our high ceiling. Since this problem is intermittent, I doubt it has anything to do with our setup. Again, the best solution for users (and Epson) who mount their pj on a high inacsessible ceiling would be to include an on/off switch in the setup manual. This easily solves the problem. As I mentioned before, I solved our problem by adding a Reset button on our URC MX-980 that has the effect of turning our pj off and back on.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-06-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger16 View Post

This sounds like an official Epson response to the problem we have encountered. Are you an Epson rep or are you referring to only the 6 reporting this problem in this forum? It could very well be that those experiencing this problem don't bother to report it since their pj power button is easily accessible (on a desk or low ceiling) and just pressing the power button solves the problem. Your suggestion of unplugging the HDMI cable is no help to us since it is inaccessible in our high ceiling. Since this problem is intermittent, I doubt it has anything to do with our setup. Again, the best solution for users (and Epson) who mount their pj on a high inacsessible ceiling would be to include an on/off switch in the setup manual. This easily solves the problem. As I mentioned before, I solved our problem by adding a Reset button on our URC MX-980 that has the effect of turning our pj off and back on.
I'm just throwing suggestions out there to see if there is a commonality between those with issues because I doubt Epson is going to do anything with such few reports.
If this was a widespread issue, with the amount of AVS 3010/5010/6010 owners, you would hear it loud and clear.

*You can unplug the HDMI cable on the other end.
And no, I'm no Epson rep and have expressed issues I've encountered in the 5010/6010 thread. smile.gif

post #13 of 17 Old 08-18-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm just throwing suggestions out there to see if there is a commonality between those with issues because I doubt Epson is going to do anything with such few reports.
If this was a widespread issue, with the amount of AVS 3010/5010/6010 owners, you would hear it loud and clear.
*You can unplug the HDMI cable on the other end.
And no, I'm no Epson rep and have expressed issues I've encountered in the 5010/6010 thread. smile.gif

Well looks like Epson has just responded to the power on problem with firmware 106 > http://www.avsforum.com/t/1377321/official-epson-powerlite-home-cinema-5010-6010-thread/2340
post #14 of 17 Old 08-18-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well looks like Epson has just responded to the power on problem with firmware 106 > http://www.avsforum.com/t/1377321/official-epson-powerlite-home-cinema-5010-6010-thread/2340
Where does it say FW 106 resolves or address this specifc issue?

Does someone have the release notes for v106?

post #15 of 17 Old 08-20-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Where does it say FW 106 resolves or address this specifc issue?
Does someone have the release notes for v106?

Contacted Epson again and they re-confirmed that firmware 106 will solve the power on problem some have experienced. Remember, this is no big deal for those who have access to the power button since they can just press it to start. But many installations will be ceiling mounted and some too high to access this button (auditorium hall etc.).

If anyone with the power on problem has firmware 106, would you please confirm that this fix works as Epson says.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-27-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Contacted Epson again and they re-confirmed that firmware 106 will solve the power on problem some have experienced. Remember, this is no big deal for those who have access to the power button since they can just press it to start. But many installations will be ceiling mounted and some too high to access this button (auditorium hall etc.).
If anyone with the power on problem has firmware 106, would you please confirm that this fix works as Epson says.

Firmware 106 now installed and so far, no power on problems. I'll update in a week or so to confirm this fix worked. FYI, this new firmware was released for only one reason, to fix the problem some had powering on their pj's. If you are not experiencing this problem, you may want to forgoe this update. I understand the new 1060's are now installed with 106.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-09-2012, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Firmware 106 now installed and so far, no power on problems. I'll update in a week or so to confirm this fix worked. FYI, this new firmware was released for only one reason, to fix the problem some had powering on their pj's. If you are not experiencing this problem, you may want to forgoe this update. I understand the new 1060's are now installed with 106.

After multiple power ons since installing firmware 106, I am happy to confirm that I have not experienced any more problems starting our Epson 6010 pj. This upgrade appears to have fixed the power on problem reported by some in this forum. Thank you Epson for listening.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page