need a new projector and CLUESS!!!!!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hows it going everybody? last novemeber i asked for ya'll help in replacing my epson 705hd for my livining room and i chose the 8350 which i love!!!! Then i replaced my 25" monitor in the bedroom with the 705hd. now when i got 8350 my 705 had 5000hrs on original bulb. Well i ordered a replacement bulb threw amazon and it blew out the mintue i turned the projector off then back on. So i put the factory bulb back in.. now with over 5500 hrs of life on it. its still going strong. But knowing a new epson bulb is 200. and the 705 looks horrible compared to the 8350 i really want deeper blacks and my color to really pop Now my budget should be between 500 - 800 dollars.. I was looking at the ml500 acer k33 hd66 acer h5360 viewsonic pro8200 epson 710hd even the old peoples fan favorite hd65.. i just have no idea what to get. and to make matters worst.

where the projector sits at the picture isn't straight.. but when laying in bed its hard to notice.. as you can see from the pics the image takes up almost the entire size of the wall with the door open. Even with the dying bulb in eco i get very clear bright image day and night specially with help of my black out curtain. With the picutre not being centered my new concerns are picking out a pj that won't go anymore off centered. keep a very bright imagine. since i spend most of my tv watching in the living room (8350 has 1400hrs since dec 1) i'm less worried bulb life and more about the brightest largest most colorful imagine i can project. i'm not sure if 500lumen led is gonna give off the same brightness as my 705 does on eco? since both my pjs are lcd i don't know how much different dlp is really gonna be. I don't think i have a issue with rainbow. as far as my current room size the 705 sits exactly 10feet from the wall. projecting over 100inches.. and looks amazingly better than it did when it was my living room projecting 130" i think? 705hd 8350 wich projects at 150-160" i really wanna colors pop more like that at 100" in the bedroom.. Any suggestions would be GREAT!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The Pro8200 is probably out due to image offset. The 710HD is the same as your 705HD for the most part.

Something like an Optoma ML500 will give a pretty good image at 100", and the image offset is fairly low.

That said, your main problem with very low blacks is that your room has very bright white surfaces all around the screen area. You'll never get a really low black level just due to the reflected light back on the screen. But the ML500 will beat the 705HD in black levels from my viewing of both side by side.
dirkjones likes this.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

how about the hd20?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkjones View Post

how about the hd20?
How about HD23 smile.gif higher lumens, better CR, better black level
Old 08-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It has less lens offset, so it might work.

I think the biggest thing you can do would be to get an electric screen (assuming you don't want something permanent) that would drop down and give you a huge boost in brightness and contrast over a textured wall.

The 500 lumen pico PJs can do a 100" image easy, and it is right around 10' away. It does seem like you're concerned about bulb cost - so why do you state you don't care about bulb life? Seems counterintuitive to me.

Sounds like you could also use horizontal lens shift?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

It has less lens offset, so it might work.
I think the biggest thing you can do would be to get an electric screen (assuming you don't want something permanent) that would drop down and give you a huge boost in brightness and contrast over a textured wall.
The 500 lumen pico PJs can do a 100" image easy, and it is right around 10' away. It does seem like you're concerned about bulb cost - so why do you state you don't care about bulb life? Seems counterintuitive to me.
Sounds like you could also use horizontal lens shift?

Oh i mentioned blub cost for 2 reasons. 1 i know alot of people who talk about led are drawn to it because not needing a new bulb every 3 to 6k hrs. i care more about picture quality, than i do about replacing a bulb since my bedroom projector is only used maybe 2 to 3hrs a night.. The main reason why i brought up bulb price, is because i do like my 705hd. yet i feel it would be a waste of money to spend 200 for a new bulb when i could spend say extra 3 or 400 and get extremely better projector.. I agree on the screen.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post

How about HD23 smile.gif higher lumens, better CR, better black level

hd23? wow i haven't been keeping up with the projectors since nov.. I'm reading about that now.. also started looking at the vivitek d950 Optoma PRO360W.. i wanna say closer to 800 price range but i have a feeling i'm a end up spending 1 - 1200.. the hd23 seems lika a good fit.. im also liking the ml500.. from what i've seen..
Old 08-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Are you happy with the epson 8350 black level? I'm thinking the pro8200 would be about the same. You can tilt the pro8200 up or down, and have the PJ right side up or down, I usually have to make adjustments to make it look good. I guess it depends if you want 3 year warranty, 6,000 hour bulb life on eco, 20 watt speakers (10x2), Light-canon, with Lowest rainbow effect, super low lag for gaming, at cheap price that the pro8200 gives you. Sounds like you were given many good suggestions, I guess you got to research them , have fun deciding which is best for you.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

Are you happy with the epson 8350 black level? I'm thinking the pro8200 would be about the same. You can tilt the pro8200 up or down, and have the PJ right side up or down, I usually have to make adjustments to make it look good. I guess it depends if you want 3 year warranty, 6,000 hour bulb life on eco, 20 watt speakers (10x2), Light-canon, with Lowest rainbow effect, super low lag for gaming, at cheap price that the pro8200 gives you. Sounds like you were given many good suggestions, I guess you got to research them , have fun deciding which is best for you.

Since i've never seen any projector besides the 2 that i have in a home setting.. I extremely happy with the black levels of the 8350 specially coming from the 705. I've never seen dlp in action, but i've heard the color tends to shine over lcd.. i'm excited about the choices people have given me. hd23 pro8200 ml500 seem to be my top picks right now.. If anybody has anymore suggestion I will gladly take them. I'm debating extending my order date.. my budget is only limited because i'm my current media server is down to its final hd bay and sata port = new server build. I'm already running 3 2tb drives 1 300gb (os) 1 500gb (downloads only) drive.. my new build is gonna run 470.. then i'm a move my old server in the bedroom do a quick network setup and call it a day.. I figure if i do them seperate months i might shell out 1200 to 1500 at that budget whats the best pj for watching movies won't be doing any gaming on it
Old 08-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
if you really can stretch your budget to 1.2 - 1.5k, then you should seriously consider the Panasonic AR100U, I think it's perfectly fits your purpose