Grey or white screen for Optoma HD20? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-06-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I know this question has been discussed repeatedly on these forums -- and I've read virtually every thread discussing it -- but I am hopelessly torn between two screens and need some input on my particular situation to help me stop obsessing over it.

Specs:

- Projector: Optoma HD20
- Screen size: 100"
- Throw distance: ~12 feet
- Viewing habits: 40% movies/TV (lights off), 40% live sports (possibly dimmed lights on), 20% video games
- Room characteristics: basement room with no windows -- complete light control; walls painted a light/medium tan; white ceilings

I have already purchased an EliteScreens EZFrame 100" screen in CineWhite (1.1 gain). However, the more I've thought about it, the more I've come to believe the same screen in CineGrey (1.0 gain) might be a better option, due to (a) my white ceilings and tan walls; and (b) the fact that I'd probably prefer to have at least some light on when hosting guests to watch sports.

Should I return the white and get the grey?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I would think the best thing to do would be to paint the ceiling a flat gray and maybe darken the walls. You most likely thought of this and have some reason against it. The gray screen would help I would think. I painted my ceiling and it made a drastic difference in a dark cave room without the reflection of light off the ceiling and walls.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 5 Old 08-06-2012, 01:22 PM

I would recommend going grey and considering a slightly negative gain(.8) as well.
As long as you have enough lumens to spare, this will help with your live sports viewing (better off-angle view and less reflected light back to screen under all conditions).
Might be cheaper than a unity gain also.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-06-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

I would think the best thing to do would be to paint the ceiling a flat gray and maybe darken the walls. You most likely thought of this and have some reason against it. The gray screen would help I would think. I painted my ceiling and it made a drastic difference in a dark cave room without the reflection of light off the ceiling and walls.

Thanks for the input. I'd be all for having the walls and ceiling painted, but I think my wife would kill me if I poured any more money into the room than I have already. Now, a few months from now, I'm sure I can get away with painting -- so maybe that should be my long-term plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperVision2010 View Post

I would recommend going grey and considering a slightly negative gain(.8) as well.
As long as you have enough lumens to spare, this will help with your live sports viewing (better off-angle view and less reflected light back to screen under all conditions).
Might be cheaper than a unity gain also.

I think I'm going to have to order the grey and return the white. Just seems like that's going to give me the best picture.

One thing that I found interesting is that I've read some materials that indicate brighter (i.e., more foot-Lamberts) are needed to view pictures in rooms with ambient light. If that's correct, it seems like I would need a screen with a higher -- not lower -- gain in order to address my concern about watching sports with guests with the lights partially on. Am I missing something here?
post #5 of 5 Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

I have a GT 700 One of the forum member recommened one of the darkest tints of grey on the screen color scale, it was good.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page