What did you replace your Epson 8350 with? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-06-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know I'm not the only one who has had issues with their Epson 8350.

1st unit developed dust blobs
2nd unit was a refurb that arrived with dust blobs
3rd unit developed dust blobs and auto iris error
4th unit is on the way, refurb? Lets hope not

My living room isn't very dusty and I dust often. Im also very tech savy and was sometimes successful at blowing out the dust blobs myself but I shouldn't need to do this. Not to mention I can't fix the auto iris issue that likes to randomly show up. So I had to call epson anyways.

FYI, to check for dust select a blank source input so you have a black screen. Turn off the lights and start adjusting the focus. You will be amazed at all the dust particals. The dust really isn't an issue till you get a larger piece that can be seen during normal viewing.

Epsons replacement program has been great. However, I wish I didn't have to use it so often. My 2 year warranty will be up in March. So I think its time to move on soon. Ill probably attempt to sell my 8350 once I end up with a working unit.

With that said what projector did everyone in the same situation as me move onto?

Does the 5010 suffer from these issues?

What about Panasonic? Looks like they might be a suitable replacement.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-06-2012, 09:32 PM

Liked: 10
I picked the Benq W7000 for my needs (ambient light, gaming, TV, streaming, movies etc) Definitely a step up but of course it was $900 more. Has been trouble free so far and fingers crossed. It has 3d too but I don't have much need for that myself.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 421
How is the Benq on it's brightest mode? One thing I love about the 8350 is that in my room with a 17 foot throw on a 158 inch diagonal 2:35:1 screen the dynamic mode looks fantastic. I'm concerned that if I someday try to get a refund for the 8350 I won't be able to find another projector that looks so good and is bright enough. If I don't use dynamic I don't have enough brightness.

thanks!
post #4 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm I'll take a look the Benq W7000. How does the light output compare to the Epson 8350? Fyi I run the Epson in Dynamic mode.

Does the Benq have lens shift?

Any move from Epson to Panasonic?

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk 2
post #5 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 06:38 PM

Liked: 19
Crazy question considering I'm doing just about the same thing as you. I had the 8100, the first unit died on me, they sent me a new one that the focus ring didn't work on. The next one they sent me had a big black splotch on half of the screen. They felt bad for me and sent me an 8350 which I had go out on me after having it for around 3 months. I'm now having the auto iris issue constantly with the new one and my warranty was set to expire yesterday. I called them up and I'm going to get a new refurbished one and sell it. I ordered a B-Stock JVC RS-45 from Mike at the AVS store today. It was cheaper than the 5010 and the 2D performance is quite a bit better. Epson defiantly has some quality control issues and that's why I stayed away from them when purchasing a new projector.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

How is the Benq on it's brightest mode? One thing I love about the 8350 is that in my room with a 17 foot throw on a 158 inch diagonal 2:35:1 screen the dynamic mode looks fantastic. I'm concerned that if I someday try to get a refund for the 8350 I won't be able to find another projector that looks so good and is bright enough. If I don't use dynamic I don't have enough brightness.
thanks!

Purely subjective on my part but it seems brighter in best mode than the 8350 in cinema. I would say about as bright as the 8350 in dynamic. We have a 132 inch screen and used to use dynamic for games in the daytime. Now I just leave it in best mode and the kids are still happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoakk View Post

Hmm I'll take a look the Benq W7000. How does the light output compare to the Epson 8350? Fyi I run the Epson in Dynamic mode.

see above

Does the Benq have lens shift?

It has limited lense shift. Not near as much as the epson but enough for me

Any move from Epson to Panasonic?

I looked at the Panny 7000 but was scared off by the higher price in Canada and by some of the issues noted on the forum
post #7 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
post #8 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slennon View Post

Purely subjective on my part but it seems brighter in best mode than the 8350 in cinema. I would say about as bright as the 8350 in dynamic. We have a 132 inch screen and used to use dynamic for games in the daytime. Now I just leave it in best mode and the kids are still happy.

Thanks slennon. Do the colors look good on dynamic? That's what I love about the 8350, dynamic looks so bright AND the colors look good at the same time - thanks.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 05:48 PM

Well it pushes green iirc but I haven't calibrated it. I don't use dynamic as I find the user 1 mode plenty bright enough and I have calibrated it. Lots of info on the W700 thread esp from Zombie and coderguy. They know WAY more about this machine than me.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Thanks slennon. Do the colors look good on dynamic? That's what I love about the 8350, dynamic looks so bright AND the colors look good at the same time - thanks.

The w7000 is far superior in brightness to the 8350 when accounting for color accuracy.

The Benq w7000 has much better color at an equivalent brightness than the 8350 does. For instance, you can get 1300 lumens very near or right at D65 with the Benq, but only 500ish lumens on the Epson 8350 in its most accurate mode. Sure the 8350 can hit that same amount (1500ish lumens) in Dynamic Mode, but the Benq w7000 does it in best mode without a green tint. The Benq can approach 2000 lumens in its brightest mode, but it will quickly get bad color like all projectors do in their brightest.

The only negative in brightness on the w7000 is that it lacks the ability to maintain that 1500 lumens in 3d mode, but it can do it in 2D and for 3D it can still do around 1000 lumens.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #11 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Happy to read your comments re. the W7000, slennon. I just listed my JVC DLA-HD250 for sale (on CAM, among other sites) and I'm thinking of replacing it with a W7000.

I thought I had cured the HD250's motion blur ills, but nothing I do seems to fix 'em...and my wife doesn't notice them at all, so it's clearly just me and not the PJ. Damned shame, because it is otherwise an absolutely awesome PJ. frown.gif

In your opinion, would the W7000 be too bright in a light-controlled basement HT room with seating that's ~15' head-to-screen?
post #12 of 12 Old 08-09-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, thanks guys. Unfortunately I used the projector calculator pro and it looks like the Benq 7000 wouldn't fill up my screen from my throw distance of 16'10". Oh well, I have over a year left on my 8350 warranty I guess I might as well ride it out as long as possible and hopefully by then there will be a great option to replace it with.... assuming I can get a refund. Funny to be thinking like this since my current unit has no problems at all but I have no faith in it for the long haul.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page