Need help with picking out a new projector around $500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone,

I recently bought and returned a viewsonic pjd5133 and I'm looking to replace it with something that is a little more capable.
I made the mistake of not trusting my gut when i saw the 800x600 resolution and decided to trust the overwhelming positive feedback that was offered on another sites review page. "cant see the pixels at all, even on larger screen" and "perfect for gaming". Boy was I disappointed when I hooked it up to my ps3. Or anything else for that mater. I could see the pixels clear across the room.

To be fare I will say that the pjd 5133 did have some likable qualities to it: Plenty bright, okay contrast, decent menu/remote, lamp life, and inputs and outputs.

Anyway, since I'm still new to the projector world I thought that would ask some advice what would be a decent buy.

Budget: $600 max prefer $500
Use: mainly movies and ps3 gaming. dont care about 3d whatsoever.
Light and contrast: I have very little ambient light so what the pjd5133 was just fine by me.
noise: I would prefer nothing louder than 32db

Thanks in advance.
Also these are the projectors that I am looking at. BenQ W700 - Acer H5360 - SharpVision DT-510 - Optoma HD66 - Viewsonic pjd5523w
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-08-2012, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Maybe look at the viewsonic pro8200 too, it is more than 500, although I did pick up a new one in dec for 650. So look for sales. The pro8200 is 1080p, 3 year warranty, 6,000 hours on bulb in eco, 20 watt (10x2) speakers, excellent gaming because low lag, and safe if you are rainbow effect sensitive.
Good luck on your next purchase, 800x600 doesn't cut it for gaming or blu-ray movies or high def tv football or tv shows. 720p could work, but Next year the new consoles are coming out, I wouldn't settle for 720p, maybe a few years ago, but not today. But if you can't afford it, get the best you can afford, right?
post #3 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 AM

Liked: 10
my hd66 is being replaced by best buy (extended warranty) today.

I could take a refund or store credit instead of the Optoma HD66 I'm sure, can anyone give me a better option for $599 or maybe a little more?

Only problem I have with the Optoma HD66 is how limited you are with projector placement (if not ceining mounting, as I am a renter).

Any better options now that the HD66 has been out a couple years and tested?
post #4 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, rgtaa
I am seriously considering the pro8200. But I would have to go with a refurbished model though to get into my price range. Is that a bad idea in your opinion?
Also, I would be watching a lot of sports and other content with this. Have you noticed a problem in that area at all?
Thanks again.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

TV sports looks good on the pro8200, gaming too.
Gee, that's a tough call to make , refurb compared to new. I like the 3 year warranty on new pro8200.
I sort of wish viewsonic had the same type of refurb program Epson has, all epson refurbs come with regular 2 year warranty, same as NEW.
90 day warranty is hard call to make.
Maybe look in our viewsonic pro8200 room and post it as question. I know Coderguy and others did get refurbs and Coderguy has no problems with his, as far as I know.
How much price difference are we talking about. Maybe wait for sale, I think it's a call you are gonna have to make yourself, because if it does break in 6 months, what are you gonna do? But on the other hand it could work for years, no problems.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I would only take a chance on the refurb if you saved like $200 or more, if it's less than that, just buy a new one. Most issues on most projectors will occur before 90 days, but that is not an absolute guarantee by any stretch. I went into the Viewsonic refurb deal knowing full well that it could break, but so far so good (around a year of usage and 2000 hours on the lamp and it's still kicking like it was new).

Keep in mind the refurb might have the older firmware with the color reset bug (like mine does), but it doesn't bother me since it only affects 3 settings that are very simple to reset, but it might bother some.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #7 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Get the Acer H5360 for $400
post #8 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Not a huge reason to buy the Acer if he doesn't care about 3D (but that is an incredible price).
The Benq w710st (w700) is better than the Acer, it's sharper, it's got better contrast, but it does cost more.

The problem with these cheaper 720p DLP's could be the rainbow effect. At 3x color wheels we get some fairly high rainbow sensitivity, whereas the Viewsonic has the least RBE of any projector under $1500. So they are on opposite sides of the spectrum. I would guess 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 people are going to be bothered by RBE enough on a 3x color wheel to consider it a deal-breaker, and that is quite a lot of people. The number on the Viewsonic will be much much less, not only is it a 4x color wheel, but it has 7-segments, basically it operates similar to a 5x or 6x color wheel as far as how much RBE it has.

The Benq w710st is the projector I'd choose if going 720p, it's actually got better contrast than all these projectors once you count the IRIS it has on it, but really gotta watch out for RBE on all these DLP's other than the Viewsonic.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #9 of 14 Old 08-11-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Based on what I read on coderguy's older post I think I just might go with one of the refurbs. I think thay are around $600. That puts its at $200 under the new price unless they are cheaper somewhere...
Anyway, If I do go with a refurbished one, Is there a way to fix the firmware problem with the usb service jack in the back?
post #10 of 14 Old 08-11-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

The firmware cannot be upgraded by a user, only if you send it back to Viewsonic which could be a major pain. If the refurbs are going for $600, I might try to wait to grab the Pro8200 on sale instead (up to you though), I paid under $500 for my refurb.

post #11 of 14 Old 08-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I agree with Coderguy on that.
I picked up the pro8200 NEW for 650 in December at Newegg along with a number of us in the pro8200 forum room.
So, if you can wait, I would. I don't see any Sales anywhere on it, I just checked , it's going for 799 everywhere, Amazon, etc.
Sometimes if something is going clearance, or special holiday sale or something, there are Sales. Just not now.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-11-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

well that sticks a wrench in my plans for the upcoming football season. I guess Ill just have to wait and keep my eye open.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-17-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone...
coderguy, if you dont mind me asking, where did you get your refurbished pro8200?
Also, I just completed the whole RMA process with NewEgg and I have to say that it was awesome! very surprised at how attentive they were and how quick the process was. If I cant find a good deal on a refurbished one I will just have to save my money up and buy a new one from them.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-17-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

E-cost.com I believe, but I think they are long gone. I think they do get a few batches in here and there, but you may have to wait forever. I would try to get a new one instead since it will have the newer firmware. Mine has the older firmware, but I don't care, because I paid so little for it. I don't think the newer firmware fixes the pixel mapping issue on the Pro8200, but the issue isn't that big of a deal.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page