The durability of projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-08-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Anyone can sharing what brand of pj you own? what technology is it? how long it last for? just want to know which projector is more durable that can last for long time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-08-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Mitsubishi DLP's tend to have very few reported issues in this forum compared to many other brands. We don't have all the data, but the Mitsubishi hc4000 definitely appears to be one of the most reliable since it has a long product life-cycle with such few issues and almost no breakdowns reported in the thread (only a few out of thousands). DLP projectors will generally have the ability to last longer since they do not have panel degradation like the other two techs, but their color wheels can still break or they can have a power issue. That said, this is where I would put my bet if I were going for longevity.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 9 Old 08-10-2012, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Anyone?
post #4 of 9 Old 08-10-2012, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Longest life projector with "zero" maintenance is likely an LED DLP unit. No user replaceable bulb, no color wheel. So no large scale moving parts.. just the DLP DMD which is usually very reliable.
SiggUA likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-10-2012, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Rps13
I'm not exactly disagreeing with you, but we don't know yet how well LED PJ's hold up, they have just come out the last year or 2. Maybe they will turn out to be the best, but they are still not very bright and 1080p in LED is not out yet, but should be soon, and then we will have to wait a few years to see if they really last. I agree in principle but it's theory. Now from the stuff that has been out the last 5-10 years, what has held up the BEST is interesting question, something maintenance free , except for changing the bulbs, right?. I guess we have to look to forum rooms , not sure there is a graph on it, maybe there is, I don't know.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-10-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
My only issue with DLP LED is that many of the cheaper ones have fairly poor build quality and poor contrast. If we are talking sub $1,500 projectors with good PQ, then I stand by the fact that the Mits hc4000 has the fewest reported issues in this forum overall (and god knows I spend too much time reading posts in this forum). The LED lamps will last longer, but something else might go wrong, theoretically though they would be the most reliable once they are seasoned and 1080p LED is affordable, but it's not yet and they aren't.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #7 of 9 Old 08-11-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The hc4000u might be very reliable but I had to returned my hc3800 twice, so there is clearly model variation within the same family.

To me, lamps are the weakest links, so LED is a positive direction.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

The other option is have a "good" company undercut the competition and come out with "cheap and good" bulbs that cost 50 dollars. smile.gif
But I wouldn't count on that, but if DLP wants to continue and Thrive, cheap bulb replacement would make these things sell, because bulb life is a turn off if the bulb costs 250 dollars to replace and only lasts 2,000 hours. Compared to 50,000 hours on HDTV.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-11-2012, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The bulb for my current DLP projector costs about 100 Euro and last for 5000 hours. Thats not too bad. It translates to a lifetime of 20 years at my current usage rate. Very likely the projector will be obsolete, dead or sold before the end of the life of the bulb.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page