Other 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've spent many hours reading post and have realized maybe I should start and ask my own questions. I'm new to the forum but from all the reading feel like I have a basic understand. Thanks in advance for any input I truly appreciate and respect everyone's advice.

So I bought a house last December and have been planning on turning an already finished room in the basement into a media/ game/ man cave. The room itself is 12x20 and the ceiling is is 7'6. The room might have been somewhat set up for a theater with the lighting the previous owners have installed (never had any contact with the seller to ask him what his plans were for the room). On one side of room he has two can-lights on a dimmer (my guess screen side) the other side of the room has three can-lights on a dimmer (seating side ). Would you guess the same ?

I have decided I want to go the projector route but need some help on deciding which one I want to go with.
EPSON 8350
Panasonic AR-100U
Or any other highly recommended projector

The room I'm placing the projector has no ambient light

I talked to a rep at projector people and they recommended the PT-AR100U (2800 lumens) and run it on Eco mode (anyone else do this?)

Would the epson be more suitable with 2000 lumens

My projector will be used 50% sports/TV 25% gaming 25% movies

Thanks again for any responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What size screen do you plan to have? Are you RGB sensetive to DLP's? Will it be a light controlled room?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

my plans were to have 106" screen and yes its a light controlled room. I'm 100% open minded to any type or projector LCD/ DLP just want to stay around that $1300 price point for the projector.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to add more but reading other threads I've seen people say their only paying $1000 for these units??? Everywhere I look $1299
Old 08-11-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

I guess one of my main questions I was looking to have answered is do many people purchases bright projectors and run them on eco mode?????

Looking into the Panasonic PT-AR100U for in a light controlled basement setting with not light coming into the room

Or would I be better of with the epson 8350 ( lot of issues in reviews dust blobs and exc.. Do these same issues pop up with the Panasonic????)
Old 08-11-2012, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The AR100U was built I have read for ambient light rooms or very large screns. That isn't to say you can not make it work. If is too bright can add light filters to the lens to dim it down. I have no experience with either projector.
DLP doesn't have issue's with dust blobs in general as it is a sealed system. DLP also handles fast motion on screen the best as a single pixel will change at .08ms vs .2ms of the fastest LCD's. LCD's generally are brighter and come with lens shift allowing easier placement. A bright DLP in these price ranges are Pro8200 by ViewSonic, H6500 Acer. Recomend reading on the Mitsubishi HC4000 too. The HC4000 is the dimmest but will do a 106" screen in a light control room easily.

Some times you can find Optoma HD33 3D projectors in your price range too.