Need some help..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a few questions Im hoping someone on here can answer. I was thinking of purchasing a projector as my downstairs TV and I have some questions.....

-Can I use a projector everyday for extended period of times? Probably 5-6 hours daily.

-Is there any way I can play PC games on a projector and still have good resolution? I dont console game but I do play a lot of games on PC and would LOVE to play battlefielld 3 on a HUGE screen!

-Which projector would you guys recommend me getting? I was thinking of a budget of around $1000 if possible.

Thanks for any help!

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Yes to 5-6 hours daily, that is not a problem, and yes to PC gaming (1080p still looks good blown up in gaming).

The best projector for this depends on a few different things, projectors need to be in a pretty dark room to have a good image. Which projector you buy also depends on if you can mount it high (ceiling height and what not). Some projectors have lens shift to make them easier to install (like the Epson 8350 or Panny ar100u), but others do not (like the Pro8200 or Mits hc4000).

The Viewsonic Pro8200 has low gaming and lag and produces a very bright image, but the Mitsubishi hc4000 has a better image for a little more but it isn't nearly as bright.
The Mits hc4000 is good for up to around 120" screen with some gain, but the Viewsonic is good for up to around 150" screen or so.
Overall in this price range, the Mits hc4000 (just barely over 1k) has the best overall image if you are going for that screen size in a room that is mostly darkened. Neither the Viewsonic nor the Mits have placement flexibility, so you need a fairly high ceiling or to mount the PJ screen somewhat low to the floor.

If you need more mounting flexibility such as you have lower ceilings, the next (2) options would be the Panasonic ar100u and the Epson 8350. Overall the Epson 8350 probably produces a slightly better image because it has better black levels, but the ar100u is brighter for larger screens.

All 4 of these have pretty low gaming lag, but the Pro8200 or Panny ar100u are brighter than the Epson 8350 or Mits hc4000. However, brightness isn't everything. If you wanted 3D capability, you could consider a 720p projector like the Optoma gt750 or the Benq w710st (can do 3D but requires some futher add-ons you have to buy I believe).

I would try to narrow it down to one of these four most likely depending on your placement flexibility and brightness needs.

Pro8200 vs. Mitsubishi hc4000 vs Panny ar100u vs. Epson 8350

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 08-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
In addition to what Coderguy said, all good stuff. I would look at if you would like something that is portable or not. Meaning do you want one that you could take into bedroom, or unplug it and put it in den, easily and effortlessly.

Also, some of the 4 he mentioned have internal speakers, some don't. Some have 20 watt's (10x2) and some have a lot less or NONE. In a pinch, all you would need would be xbox 360 and PJ with the built in speaker PJ's. All of the PJ's Coderguy listed you can plug into your sound system, so don't worry about that.

Also important is the Warranty on the different models , if you are spending 1,000 dollars, some of these PJ's only have 1 year warranty, or 2 year warranty or 3 year warranty. How would you feel if you bought a 1 year model and something went wrong 13 months later. Expensive to fix.

Also, Bulb life. Some of those 4 models coderguy suggested have 2,000 hours stated bulb life, some have 6,000 hours bulb life. That would be something that would interest me. Also how much to replace bulb? Also, some of the models he suggested have reported problems with early bulb pop, so do you want a PJ with a KNOWN problem.

Now Rainbow Effect is something to take into account, some are sensitive to that, some not. Coderguy himself sold his hc4000 because he couldn't take the Rainbow Effect, and bought the pro8200 because it didn't bother him as much or at all. Again something to think about.

Now as to gaming, I think all 4 are good at gaming and TV viewing. Coderguy was going at it from just Picture viewpoint, which he does, because that is the most important thing for him. I look at it from complete package, that is why I list some of things I look for in PJ's. We are both right, it comes down to priority. The order of importance of how we make the decision to buy one or the other PJ.

Now, most PRO reviews don't go into how many problems USERS have with the PJ's they review, most PRO reviews just view the PJ for a few days to test it, so go into forum rooms to see the problems people are having the the 4 PJ's you are looking at to see, which is the most reliable. Not to say everyone will have a problem, no, but is there a pattern. If a number of people claim to have exactly SAME problem. It could be production run gone bad, don't know. Again, the PJ with the longest warranty does give you more PEACE of MIND, because if you have 3 years to have problem show up, so you can send it in to repair center to have it repaired or replaced, free. Short warranty means your window is shorter. And on a 1,000 dollar investment, how do you feel about that?

Now of the 4 PJ's coderguy listed, the Pro8200 is the cheapest by 300 dollars or more, has the longest warranty of 3 years, has the longest bulb life of 6,000 hours, has the lowest rainbow effect, has the best internal speakers 20watts (10x2). So look at the whole picture. But check the 4 models out, because what is important to me might not be important to you.

Tags
Projectors , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Panasonic Pt Ar100u Lcd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Optoma Gt750e 3000 Lumen 720p 3d Gaming Projector , Benq , Viewsonic Pro8200 1080p Dlp Home Theatre Projector