Projector lumens vs. Harry Potter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-13-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I recently got the LG PA70G (LED light source) projector rated at 700 lumens. So far in my light control basement, this projector has exceeded my expectations in terms of brightness with most of my media: DVDs, hard drive stored movies, and Xbox games.

But the one area so far where brightness can be a bit lacking, is when watching some darker movies. One example is "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1". Scenes such as persons sitting around a table in the castle (the bad guy with no nose is sitting at the head of the table) seem on the dark side. I know the PA70G projector is capable in my basement of producing sufficiently bright images with other materials, and so am wondering why Harry Potter material looks dim.

My question to those with traditional bulb higher lumen projectors, do you find movies such as Harry Potter displaying dimmer than other movies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Has to do with the gamma curve of the projector not the brightness of the lamp. Watched that on a JVC RSS40 and scenes were almost unwatchable but on my OLD Mitsubishi HC3000 with poor black level and a gamma of 2.2 it looked fine.. Also could be the source if you are not watching it on BR, HTPC output can be very flaky and some Cable/Dish stuff can be just as bad depending on compression.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 08-13-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Has to do with the gamma curve of the projector not the brightness of the lamp. Watched that on a JVC RSS40 and scenes were almost unwatchable but on my OLD Mitsubishi HC3000 with poor black level and a gamma of 2.2 it looked fine.. Also could be the source if you are not watching it on BR, HTPC output can be very flaky and some Cable/Dish stuff can be just as bad depending on compression.

Thanks for the tip, I do recall seeing a gamma adjustment setting somewhere in the projector menu. Also, I previously changed the black setting from "high" to "low". The low setting significantly improved the blacks on most material, but not sure if it hurt materials such as Harry Potter. I will have to do some further testing.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It could be that LG have used a high contrast tone curve to give the images more punch. Have you tried different picture modes? Adjusted contrast setting? Dynamic contrast, gamma and black level are all in the 'advanced' settings, have you tried those?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by andysm View Post

It could be that LG have used a high contrast tone curve to give the images more punch. Have you tried different picture modes? Adjusted contrast setting? Dynamic contrast, gamma and black level are all in the 'advanced' settings, have you tried those?

Yes, I have tried them.

My recommendation:
1. Start with the 'picture wizard' in the advanced menu
2. When you're happy with that, put on a blu ray and pause it on a dark scene. Go back to settings and fiddle with dynamic contrast, brightness and contrast until you get enough details without ruining the black level.

For me, that's the best compromise so far. YMMV

The PA70G isn't a $2000 projector, but I think it can do a dang good job on most signals if you calibrate it to your liking.

It's as good as $1,200 projectors from 5 years ago. We seemed to be pretty happy with those PJs, and rightly so. They did a decent job! So does the PA70g.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-15-2012, 07:30 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post

I previously changed the black setting from "high" to "low". The low setting significantly improved the blacks on most material, but not sure if it hurt materials such as Harry Potter. I will have to do some further testing.

Wondering if you have done any more testing with the high low black setting?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , New 2700 Lumens Dlp Projector Projectors , Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Hc3000u High Definition 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page