Projector for sports/movies around $1500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I am currently looking for a projector (or in the next month or 2) for my basement which has very little light come in from outside. It will be about a 100 inch screen. The main purpose for this screen will be for watching sports and movies. If I play any video games on it, it will be like guitar hero or maybe messing around a little every once in a while but I have smaller tvs for my main video game usage. I would like to spend around $1500, definitely would not want to go above $2000.

I have done quite a bit of researching but obviously for that price range, all projectors I will be able to find flaws in them. The one I keep going back to is the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350. Would that be a good choice for my set up? Which other ones should I consider?

Also, is there a big different in either having a screen or using the special paint? I could get the paint for free so I was planning on doing that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Btw, I do not care for 3d!
post #3 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The 8350 is a good choice but that is quite a bit of a lower budget. For a 100" screen, the Mitsubishi hc4000 subjectively (but not that subjectively) has the best 2d image under $1300, and the Benq w6000 is another contender for a bit more (more features but audibly noisier). Don't forget to budget for other things as well. You might also need HDMI cables, HDMI switch, UPS power or heavy surge device (I prefer UPS), projector mounting equipment, and of course a decent bluray player to show off the new projector.

If you wanted to push your budget to about $2k, then a B-stock JVC RS-40 would be a huge step up from any of these, but I don't know if anyone has them in stock (maybe not). AVS (the forum sponsor) sometimes has some B-stock JVC's. These used to be $3,500 projectors and new the RS-45 still goes for almost $3000, so it is a serious projector with some serious 2D picture quality. However, the Mits hc4000 is no slouch either, it is one of my favorites.

With any projector like the hc4000 that doesn't have lens shift (the Benq w6000 and Epson 8350 do), then you need to make sure it can be mounted in the dimensions of your room such as if you are even able to ceiling mount and what not (you can try my calculator in my sig to help with that).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #4 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbur06 View Post

Also, is there a big different in either having a screen or using the special paint? I could get the paint for free so I was planning on doing that.

Yes and no, it depends on how good the paint job is and if you decoratively frame it on something to make it look like a real screen. At a high DIY level I'm sure painted screens approach the quality of MFR'd screens, but IMHO small screens around 100" are so cheap that there isn't a big reason to paint the thing. You could get you a 0.9 to 1.3 gain Da-Lite screen (any material you want) or other brand for not that much money at all.

If you picked a cost-effective pulldown screen, it'd be less than $150 for that size, some decent even under $100, for a fixed frame around $200+ depending on what you wanted. The image will look ok on a painted wall, but unless the rest of the walls and ceilings excecpt for the painted screen are all very dark, it will lack a bit in the contrast area. Fixed frames are more aesthetically pleasing, but manual pulldowns with black cases aren't too bad either. With the lights off they don't look that much different (a little).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 5 Old 08-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Hc4000 is great for gaming and is very reliable. I would have bought one if it could fit in my room
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page