Need Help! Time for Upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so i still have an older Mitsubishi HC1500 720p projector which i love, but my secoond bulb is going and the color wheel is starting to get loud. I am projecting onto a Painted screen which i got from these forums called Black Widow. It works great. My projector is about 14 feet from screen.

Now the dilemma, Do i keep my projector or buy a new 1080p projector? I have a feeling the color wheel is on its way out and i need a new bulb. I would rather not spend anymore then 1,500 on a new one. The only one i have looked at or read about was the Epson 8350 or the Mitsubishi HC6000 or 7000. Now also am i not going to like switching from DLP to LCD? Just so many unanswered questions is making this so hard.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on a projector to upgrade too. Again i love my projector now just not sure how much life it has left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
3D or not, how big of a screen, and is online FPS gaming lag times important?

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

My screen is 106inches and i go game with Xbox 360 so lag times do matter. And then i mostly watch movies. I can completely control lighting but the wifey likes the recessed lighting on a little when she is watching movie. So lumens might play a role as well.

I would venture the 3D aspect if it fell within my budget.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mitsubishi hc4000 is better than the Epson 8350 for your purposes, although the 8350 has more brightness to punch through ambient light, but I think coming from DLP, LCD might bother you. Watch out for placement flexibility since the Mits has no lens shift. If you are more focused on movie viewing and black levels and not gaming, then I think a refurb Epson 8500ub or 8700ub is where it's at. I heard some were under $1500 or even far less now, but they probably have too much lag for you.

If you want 3D or just a brighter DLP, the Optoma hd33 would be another one. However, the hd33 isn't quite as good as the Mits at 2D for movies (but Optoma is semi-close), but the Optoma is brighter and it comes with 3D. Optoma hd33 is under $1,500. One thing about the Optoma is the placement is really tight, it has less Zoom than the Mits, so check the calculator in my SIG to find placement (or any calculator). Make sure it works.

If it were me and if it fit in my room, I'd probably buy the hd33 because it comes with 3D, has good 2D PQ, is brighter than the MIts hc4000, less RBE, and still comes with a 2-yr warranty.
I think the long-term reliability might be less on the Optoma than it is with the Mits, but the 2-year warranty should hopefully offset that.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Well thanks for your input. I will check out the Optoma. Yeah i think i'll probably stick with DLP. I'm sure any of those projectors you mention will be an upgrade from my current Mits HC1500, i hope smile.gif. The problem is my son only uses it for gaming and the wife and I use it for movies. So i need a projector that will kind of serve both purposes if there is such a projector.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mitsubishi hc4000 serves both purposes very well, but I'd say the Optoma hd33 does too. The main difference is the Mits hc4000 might have better black levels for movies but the Optoma has more brighter modes. You could also look at the Benq w6000, but it has no 3D (only Optoma has 3d) but the Benq is audibly noisier.

post #7 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

unfortunately it look like placement will be difficult with the Mits HC4000. Thats too bad. My ceilings are only 7.5 ft high and to ceiling mount it to fit my screen it would not be high enough and i can't place it on a table.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-18-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

The Benq w6000 will work better as it has center-point lens shift and can be mounted anywhere between the top and bottom of the screen. It actually probably has one of the best images of the three, as long as you don't mind a slightly audibly noisier projector.

The Optoma hd33 might also still work and should be a bit quieter than the BENQ w6000. The hd33 has half the offset of the Mits, but depending how high you mounted your screen the hd33 might still be a very tight fit from a ceiling mount height perspective. Also, the hd33's maximum throw position for a 106" screen is only 13 feet 10 inches, so if your projector is currently mounted at 14 ft back and you put the Optoma hd33 where the current PJ is, then the hd33 might throw too big of an image (but I cannot say that for sure since these numbers are often not perfectly accurate, usually only within a few inches). That said I think the hd33 would probably fit, but only you would know the limitations of the room (not me).

The Benq w6000 on the other hand should have no issues fitting the room, at least as far as from a mounting distance from the screen, or from the mounting height. The Benq w6000 also has quite a lot of zoom and is flexible. You may have to get a drop-pole mount for the w6000 however since it might have to be slightly lowered compared to your old mount, it will depend on how high up the top of your screen is. Although you can mount the Benq almost anywhere between the screen, optimally the Benq's lens should be mounted a foot or more just below the top edge of the screen so that you do not need to use the maximum lens shift.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page