701XU 3 months later.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-23-2002, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just thought I'd throw these comments out here for those on the fence.

Just do it!

I bought a 701XU based on all the info from this forum and always wondered if there was something better... of course there is, but if you just stop thinking about, you become much happier with what you have.

I've had it about 3 or 4 months now, only have 30 hours on it... been building my HT... then waiting for seating... it's all together now, and I finally sat down and watched a DVD all the way through the other night! Watched Star Wars PM, hoping to see the new one the next day. Was sold out and saw Spiderman.

I am now MUCH more observant of PQ at the movies, and looking at the BLACK curtains around the screen, "black" is very grey at the movies too!
Images are sharp, but not all that much better than what I'd watched the night before at home!

Got to say I am now "blown away" with my Panny purchase. Sitting back at 2X screen width I saw no screen door, no motion artifacts, and only some grays that could be a little darker... I am surely going to do a lot more DVD renting, than going to the movies getting "taken" on their popcorn prices!

All I have left to say is GO FOR IT, whether it's a Panny, Piano, HP, or whatever.... you'll never watch another movie on a small TV again, and may gain the patience to wait for blockbusters to come to DVD.... eventually saving you enough money to pay for that projector! (doesn't take too many bags of popcorn!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-23-2002, 08:49 AM

Liked: 10
Hey Tom,

Thanks a lot for your thoughts!

I'm just starting the process of looking at PJs and your thoughts were a good reminder of why I'm looking to get a PJ to begin with.

It's easy I think to get caught up in all the different threads and discussions about the details of each PJ, pros and cons and not see the forest for the trees... I currently have a 25" Sony Trinitron, so an improvement as far as pic size will not be much of a challenge ;)

Will

"And truth does not depend on me"

-King's X
post #3 of 5 Old 05-23-2002, 09:10 AM

Glad to hear it's coming along. I can't wait to get my curtains, masking and real screen set up. I also need to paint the room darker and get the rest of my seating together. The picture's already impressive with my 75U and makeshift set up now. -Noam

"From now on I don't want anyone to come in and see me while I'm here. Is that clear?"
-Major Major
post #4 of 5 Old 05-23-2002, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Well said Tom. I had the same reaction when I went to the movies for the first time after setting up my "budget" HT... the picture quality & sound at the [recently built] AMC I actually felt were worse than mine!!! I was very happy with what I had, but reading about all the fanatics on this board spending, tweaking, filtering, tweaking, spending, tweaking, HTPCing, tweaking, spending.... well I thought maybe my standards were too low. All it took was 2 hours of "A Beautiful Mind" to re-affirm just how nice a system you can put together for <$3000 (sound included).

cheers!

(550hrs and climbing)....

PS:
cost of a case of Sam Adams: $24
cost of chips, cigars, and some Coors light for the ladies: $20
cost of a budget HT: $3,000
cost of watching Celebrity Boxing II on a 100" screen complete with crazy betting, rampant cursing, random yelling, cheering, jumping up and down and knocking over the bong, frequent high-fiving, and much moaning about the imminent demise of civilization: PRICELESS
post #5 of 5 Old 05-23-2002, 01:09 PM

Tom and kedelbach, Agreed. I was thinking the same thing last night watching the new "Legend" director's cut.

<<cost of a case of Sam Adams: $24
cost of chips, cigars, and some Coors light for the ladies: $20
cost of a budget HT: $3,000
cost of watching Celebrity Boxing II on a 100" screen complete with crazy betting, rampant cursing, random yelling, cheering, jumping up and down and knocking over the bong, frequent high-fiving, and much moaning about the imminent demise of civilization: PRICELESS>>
:D

Mike
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page