Need help speccing a replacement projector - 4500+ lumens, short throw - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-18-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long story short, the projector at our church is dieing a slow death. It's about 10 years old and has issues. In any case, the plan is to replace it. This is the model currently in use - http://www.aboutprojectors.com/Panasonic-PT-L6510U-projector.html. The current set up is a screen that's about 12' x 9' or so with the projector set in an attic space behind the screen in a rear projection setup.

I went out and grabbed this guy off Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-TX779P-3D-Lumens-Multimedia-Projector/dp/B005C982P4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345336099&sr=8-2&keywords=5000+lumens

It didn't work out well for me. Turns out the old projector is about 10' or so behind the screen so a short throw is what I'm going to need. In short my question is whether the Optoma TX779P will work with some kind of short throw lens or if I need to look at another model of projector? If that's the case, what would the experts recommend for rear projection ~10' throw range and as 12' x 9' setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-19-2012, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Have you considered a mirror for more throw distance. For rear projection and flexable space behind the screen mirrors work out well

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 4 Old 08-19-2012, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

Have you considered a mirror for more throw distance. For rear projection and flexable space behind the screen mirrors work out well

I've not heard of this. I'm not particularly knowledgeable on projectors. Can you link me to something with more information on a setup like this?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

After looking more at the current projector, it would appear that it has a short throw lens installed on it already. Would it be possible to simply move this lens to the new projector? What would that involve? Would it fit or would there be issues making it work? Would I be better off buying a new short throw lens?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page