Tweakers - where do you start (was AE100 my current config) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-23-2002, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read with interest Li On's AE100 configuration. What struck me though, was the combination of parameters .. like

Gamma +5 on the DVD player .... so ... have to push brighntess down to -18 on the projector. Using color temp of "warm" .. so push the blue to +16.

Now.. even if I had the *exact* same equipment as Li On, and even if I said that his set-up was the *best* possible with that equipment.. I am sure that I would never never ever stumble across that combination. There are too many variables, and I would probably come up with a different answer depending on what I started with first.

So.. my questions to all you dedicated tweakers out there... how do you do what you do. Is there some sequence of adjustments you usually go through first (like the obvious brightness/contrast) or what?

I'll use Li On as an example here.. but its really hypothetical.... if I erased your brain cells and reset all the settings on your DVD player and AE100.. would you come up with the same settings. If so .... how?

Ron .. Tweaker in Training Wanting to Know More .. Goodson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-23-2002, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

A good place to start is using one of the commercial tweaker DVD's. Avia and Video Essentials seem the most popular, although I use the freebie that's on the THX setups in T2:UE, X-men and others. These step you through step by step, adjusting one thing at a time, with routes to go back and re-adjust for those parameters that interlock.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-23-2002, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

I'd repeated too many times how I tweak my picture so here goes the SHORT version!

1. you KNOW a good picture (XG85/G70 at BEST setup in my case) to reference
2. you KNOW what picture looks BEST to you
3. you see the out-of-the-box picture and know what it's lacking
4. you try ALL the adjustment combinations to get the best possible picture while watching TONS of familiar clips to check/adjust black level, bright level, shadow detail, white layer, resolution, color, flesh tone, video noise, and all kinds of weird artifacts!
5. if the resulting picture is still not good enough, change something, screen, DVD player, cable, different filters, video processor etc and repeat step 4 again!
6. you just can't tweak anymore, then sit back and enjoy movies or get a new projector and start all over again.

I always envy those just put in the AVIA, check the bright/contrast and all is done. Living with a projector is not that simple for me.

regards,

Li On
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page