Optoma Gt720 Issue (Pics included!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-20-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I just got my first projector, It's the Optoma GT720, I bought it open boxed off of Ebay. It came in all original packaging and everything, well I'm on here because I don't know too much about projectors but I had it plugged in and it looks great and everything but I noticed it was running VERY hot and smelled funny too. A couple of times during a video playing there was a popping noise and the screen flashed white. I thought that might be just dust on the lamp or bulb? Again, I know nothing about projectors, but I also noticed these marks on the projector that weren't there an hour ago when I had opened it. It looks like the plastic was burning slightly? I tried wiping these white marks off, but they won't go away. It looks like the plastic housing was slightly burning. If anyone knows anything about this, I would appreciate it. I have pictures included below. I only have a 90 day warranty from open box from Optoma, so if I need to send it in, I'd like to do it soon. Thanks again.

Sorry for the glare. White lines on plastic housing below

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-21-2012, 12:11 PM

Liked: 10
Sounds like you need to send it in, if it is doing that there is something abnormal going on.
You should never hear a pop, sizzle or any other noise then the fan.
If there is a smell and any-sort of burning marks etc. it should be disconnected and sent in immediately.

Having used hundreds of projectors over the years for various projects, the only time you hear & see things like that is when there is a problem.

Was there anything close to the projector that may have prevented the heat from escaping, you should never have anything withing 1 foot of the projector at a minimum -
Read this article - Projector Overheating

Good Luck, hope this helps some BUT I think you should send it in immediately.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-21-2012, 04:03 PM

Liked: 12
Hot, funny smell....something is definitely wrong. There are currently no projectors on the market that include spontaneous combustion as a feature.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page