Panasonic PT-AE7000U vs. Epson Home Cinema 5010 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would someone please help me figure out which is a better choice? I am looking to build a home theater in my basement and need some help in choosing the right projector. The room in the basement is pretty dark. The projector would be about 18' from the screen and I'm looking to install a 120" screen. I have been told that they are both very similar in picture quality (given how dark the room is) but I should choose Epson because they have better customer service. They're priced currently about the same ($2,599), except Panasonic is currently offering 2 free 3D glasses with the order. Would love to hear your thoughts on these two projectors.

Also, would anyone have any suggestions for a good projector screen for ~ $1,000. I was looking for a 120" (58"x104") fixed frame screen.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 11:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 153
The only reason to choose the Panny over the Epson is if you will be using a CIH / 2.35 screen.
Otherwise, the Epson 5010 is brighter, has higher contrast, and has cleaner 3D (less ghosting than the Panny). The Epson is a no brainer vs. the Panny.

I am not an Epson owner, nor do I favor any specific projector but just recommend what I think best fits a given request.

For a screen, there are several different ones you could do, but since you will be a 3D user, I would probably go with the Da-Lite HIGH Power screen, but it depends where you will be mounting the projector and the room conditions.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 08-22-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the feedback on the projector.

As for the screen, I will be mounting the projector on the rear wall about 7' high and about 18' feet from the screen. I will have pretty good control of ambient light in the room and will be watching mostly movies at nights anyway (and some sports) - so the room will be fairly dark. I was thinking of getting the Da-Lite Da-Mat screen, but you seem to be recommending the HIGH Power screen. Is that a better screen for 3D movies?

Thanks again.

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae7000u