2 best value projectors for our team - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-21-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings, I need to find 2 candidates for "best value" projector for my team. We work in the entertainment industry and need something that will project well in a lit room. Our budget is 500-800 dollars. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Apologies but the budget just went to 300-500 dollars.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-21-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopebohy View Post

need something that will project well in a lit room. Thanks!

Not possible.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Not possible.

Try to find a short throw projector like the Optoma GT720 or GT750. There are always deals on those two. I got a GT720 for $450. It's very portable, I even use it on my 220in outdoor screen.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-24-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopebohy View Post

Apologies but the budget just went to 300-500 dollars.

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Not possible.

Under most circumstances I would call "BS" on such a remark.....tongue.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

But not this time because you (dopebohy) DO have to spend more than $500.00

For $800, the Ultra Short Throw 1280 x 800 WXGA Viewsonic PJD6683ws does everything needed so much better...even then the Optoma GT750e, another good choice at $678.00

3000 lumens.
98" image at 3.5' @ 100 ft lambert ! eek.gif Smaller Screen? 80" diagonal at 2' 10" @ 150 fls. That's "screamin' bright"...almost Zerox'in the wall! cool.gif
6x Color Wheel
15,000:1 Contrast (...a Industry Tops for ST PJ ...)

And...I can easily show you how to make a DIY Screen that will augment the 6683's oomph in "HIGH" ambient light for well under $100.00 Well under.

When you need a PJ/Screen combo to perform "Great" in worse case conditions, you can neither send a Boy to do a Man's job, nor pay "Boy's wages" to get it done.

If performance and utility....getting what you pay for, and being wholly happy with your decision means anything to you fellows workin' in the entertainment industry, you better reconsider that drop down into $500.00 territory.

So really Jim McC wasn't really spoutin' that 'ol BS...he was tellin' ya "The God's honest...." So Pass the Hat....or get out the Cryin' Towel if you make the wrong choice.

So use the Veiwsonic as the no#1 Choice and the Optoma as 2nd Choice. And BTW, under almost every circumstance a Short Throw PJ means little or no chance that people's presence in the proximity of the screen will intrude shadows on the projected image.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So you are in the entertainment field and "your team" need a PJ for something or other, right?

My advice, go check out your competition and see what they are using, and see if it "works". Check out their equipment and screen, etc. Then report back, maybe there are cheap alternatives.

What size room
what size screen
how bright a room
SPELL it out for us. Tell us your "act" or what you are gonna be Projecting.

As to viewsonic PJD6683ws , I don't see any reviews anywhere on it. I did check amazon and looked for pro reviews. Maybe he can provide links to Pro reviews and user reviews , unless he owns one and sharing from his own experience. I myself would only get a PJ that had "good pro reviews and mostly good user reviews". I like to play it SAFE. Then I wait for SALE. smile.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 08-24-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Actually, (...and no offense intended....) when people come aboard and ask to do the impossible for impossibly little, it's almost always a case of their knowing a impossibly small amount of what is needed to be known. biggrin.gif

A point in dopebohy's favor.....he came aboard to at least ask. More often than not, because of such foresight, they and their aspirations can be salvaged. But there are limits, and resolving truly difficult requests...and getting it right the first time around requires that you meet the minimum criteria in your suggestions to be able to effectively give another sage advice.

But golly...the particulars and peculiarities inherent in such cases can be daunting...and even discouraging. As such is all too often the case, I have found that referring to and sticking to known and proven formulas I myself have tried and succeeded at does the Poster (...and me...) the best service.

If dopebohy has the time and patience at this conjecture to really research....make a decision or two based on that and advice, and then wait until his PJ / Screen of choice luckily falls to within his budget....or he somehow finds quality Used equipment still in Warranty at a reduced price, , then all that would of course suit him best. If he does though....I'll be jealous. biggrin.gif That would be too much good luck for anyone (...then again, I hate all PowerBall winners as well...)

Personally speaking.....unless his viewing environment isn't as bad as stated, and his personal standards are lower than someone like him is apt to possess, I maintain the same stance that Jim took.

It ain't happenin' at $500.00. Leastwise not looking like much of anything.

Absolute necessities:

Uber Lumens(3000+)
High Contrast (Blacks that start out Gray only get "more Gray" in ambient light. The reverse is where you want to be starting out.)
Short Throw to optimize lumen output
Highest resolution possible. VGA is not acceptable..mad.gif
HDMI
5000 hr Bulb (4K on Eco)
A "Dark" Gray, High Contrast High Gain surface (1.0-1.2 gain)

Sub $1000.00 ? Absolutely
$500.00? End of discussion.

Except one little thing:

dopebohy, rgtaa mmakes a valid point....can you relate as to what part of the Entertainment Industry your involved in, and as to how the need for a Large Screen ties in?

Might not only be revealing, but some assist in solving the problem at hand.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-31-2012, 05:12 PM

Hi!

I am in a similar situation. We are experimenting with using video-projectors for live backgrounds in our tv-studio. And TV studios tend to be quite bright areas. Have researched quite a bit on the net and tried with two different projectors already. I originally thought that this would not work at all, but after trying with the two projectors I got a little bit more positive cause the results were not that bad.
Ideally one would use video modules for something like this in a tv production but those are extremly expensive and right now out of our budget. This is why I am trying to get it to work with projectors, at least as a temporary solution until we are able to buy vide modules.

Tonight I tried to use our 500$ Optoma meetingroom projector to see how it would look on camere with all the other studio light on. And it was not that bad at all. I cant remember the exact projector name, but this is definitly NOT a short throw projector, had to move it far back to get a large enough picture. The projector is quite bright (2500 ansilumen I think). If the projector used "normal" brightness levels the picture looked washed out. But after setting the brightness as low as possible and the contrast as high as possible, the picuture didn't look half bad.

The things we are going to project is just blurry, abstract, colorful animations (not movies). Noticed that it looked quite bad when I played a normal video, and with animations that contained black backgrounds the background was too washed out to look good. But when playing animations with blue clouds, green fields and other stuff with bright colors it looked quite good. And we can live with these limitations and produce animations that are bright and colorful.

But to the point.....even though the picture from this projector (which probably is totally wrong for this purpose) looked OK, I am wondering if I can get better results with another projector under 1000$? The problem does not seem to be that it has to have lots more brightness than the 2500 AnsiLumen this projector had. I had to turn the brightness all the way down on it. The problem is more that I would like the picture to be less washed out in its colors and more contrast. Am I right in thinking that the projector I need to buy needs to have as high as possible contrast ratio (and that the brightness is less important)?

I have a Optoma GT750 at home which I use for games and movies. Tried this one in the studio a few months ago, but then the studio was not ready so couldnt really get a realistic test. And now I don't want to damage my projector in taking it down from its ceiling mount and dragging it back to work to test it once more. But from what I remember the Optoma GT750 felt less washed out and brighter than the other Optoma projector.

Have done som research on the net and I came up with the excact same two projectors as people here have mentioned. The Optoma GT750 and the ViewSonic PJD6683ws. The question is if I should go for the Viewsonic one since that one has a higher contrast ratio and is even more short-throw? Its a little bit more expensive, but not a deal breaker.....
I dont care about the image quality, resolution and stuff that you would care for in a home theather. The picture just has to be bright (and preferably I should be able to adjust the brightness quite a bit), have a good contrast and bright colors.

The other (and bigger concern) is image flickering. Our cameras are high end in the 30000$ price range and I am able to adjust the shutter on them. I got a nearly flicker free image by adjusting the cameras when testing today. But that was just video from my mobile phone through hdmi to the projector and I think the video output from the mobile is 50hz. I dont totally understand the whole screen refresh rate thing, but I am quite sure that I am able to get a totally flicker free projected background if its projected in 60 hz or higher and the cameras are adjusted correctly. The Viewsonic projector is listed as having a refrash rate of 15-120hz. Does this mean that If I have a picture source like a PC-videocard that you can set to for example 100hz that the projector will project a 100 hz image?

Would be very thankful if someone could give some advice around this not so very common area of using projectors :-)
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page