Which projector for movies/gaming/hockey at around 2200 or less - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I have a garage I fully converted into a living space. Done up real nice. My room is light controlled, but I would like some light on during regular tv viewing.

Room is about 16 x 25.

Ceiling is about 9 feet.

I can set the screen on any wall.

So for $2200 or less what would be perfect for me?

Dont want to notice lag during xbox gaming. Would like the picture to pop. I love vibrant color but being used to a panny gt50 I dont want the blacks to be horrible. Sont want to see the puck in hockey games blur.

Can anyone get me started at what I should be looking at?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

I dont care for foot ball too much but for sure hockey almost nightly.

3D on a 55plasma was ok, is it much better at 120 inches?

I dont really know where to see a projector around here to be honest.

I havent seen a projector in action since high school 20 years ago, so I have this thought in my head that if I go cheaper its going to be all washed out like back then. haha.

Will for sure watch blurays on it.

Im not very picky as long as it has pop, good blacks, and can show me a huge picture and no noticeable lag in gaming.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Reading these forums it sounds like DLP is what I want because of no motion blur.

How is dlp with gaming lag?

And are they bright too with good color?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Looks like everything is OPEN for you, so maybe browse the threads here and see models that look interesting, and look at Pro reviews and user reviews.
You have room size, check. smile.gif
You gave ceiling size, check. smile.gif
You gave money willing to use, check. smile.gif
You gave "want good blacks", check. smile.gif
Something you can game on , check. smile.gif
Something you can watch TV sports on. check:)
Something to watch Movies on. check smile.gif

Are you interested in 3D?
How big a screen size would you like?
Are you Rainbow Effect Sensitive?

It doesn't seem like you would have placement problems, if you did you might need something with Lens Shift, but, you can place the PJ in best place and lock it down, right? , with ceiling mount.

Now you could go cheap and good and get your feet wet, and watch for a year or 2, then once you are INTO PJ's you can get a New PJ on in 2014, that could be LED/laser.
Or you can get best PJ for 2,200 today, and use if for a number of years and get another expensive one in 3 or 4 years?

Do you have anywhere in area where you can see some PJ's in action, to see if you are RBE, or see if you like Black level of PJ.

I myself went with cheap and good, so I could see if I use PJ a lot. And I don't use mine as much as I thought I would, so I'm glad I got what I got. And I got one with long warranty 3 years and is portable, so I could use it in bedroom or den or porch. I got one that I game on and has super low lag, watch football TV with, and watch Blu ray movies on. ( I bought a cheap and good viewsonic pro8200). But there are lots of better and more expensive PJ's you can choose from , so enjoy the Research Process.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdidasNYR View Post

So I have a garage I fully converted into a living space. Done up real nice. My room is light controlled, but I would like some light on during regular tv viewing.
Room is about 16 x 25.
Ceiling is about 9 feet.
I can set the screen on any wall.
So for $2200 or less what would be perfect for me?
Dont want to notice lag during xbox gaming. Would like the picture to pop. I love vibrant color but being used to a panny gt50 I dont want the blacks to be horrible. Sont want to see the puck in hockey games blur.
Can anyone get me started at what I should be looking at?
Thanks!

You have a great room for a projector. Projectors are designed for the dark. It drives me nuts when eveybody wants the best of both worlds. Don't get me wrong it can be done to have a great picture with some lights on but you are going to have to engineer it just right to make it work. If your not a great DIY'er you could spend your whole budget on a gray high gain screen alone. Any light not from the projector that hits the screen will destroy the black level and contrast will suffer. You have enough room to design a rear projection with some mirrors but it will take alot of engineering to get it to work. You also might want to considera Mitts rear projection set they max out at 92"and are close to your price range they work well with or without lights on. Projectors have come a long way in 20 years, even the last few years. 3D is awsome at 120" and DLP is the way to go if your not RBE sensitive. I don't know were you are but find a DLP you can look at some DLP's are worse than others. I have never seen a rainbow on any of the DLP's I have seen so I have no idea what they look like.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care