Blank slate home theater projector help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-23-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have read countless threads on this site and I am overwhelmed at the plethora of knowledge by those posting. My wife and I just purchased a new house and I finally get my home theater room!

Lets start with the room dimensions. The room is 11'8" x 18'8" with an 8ft high ceiling. The room has no windows so light control will not be an issue. Also the room will be used primarily for watching movies, playing games, and some sports viewing. I have complete control over what to do with this space.

My budget for projector and screen is around 1500ish. I think I have decided on the Epson 8350 combined with and Elite Screens fixed frame 120" 1.1 gain( http://amzn.com/B00366S0UW ). Unless someone can offer a better suggestion for this room.

I am planning on eventually having two rows of seating, but for right now and budget issues will probably start with a sectional.

1.) Should I ceiling mount the projector? If so, at where would offer the best picture on said screen?

2.) Can I wall mount the projector at the back of the room? Or is this to far?

3.) How do I know where to place the "sweet spot" chair in the room? how far from the screen?

My main concern is getting the best picture possible out of this projector. I would even be willing to construct a "coffee" table/housing to place the projector in front of the seating if this would offer a better viewing experience.

Any help on this would be appreciated, and as I said before this is a blank slate and my first time dealing with home theater/ projectors so if I am overlooking something or you have some suggestions please pass them along.

Thanks,
Jared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

I am also considering the elite 125" 1.1 gain screen. Not sure if that five inches makes a difference or not?
post #3 of 4 Old 08-24-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have any input?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-24-2012, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have no idea if you have any interest at all in 3D or not, but I can tell you this; Every single person that said they didn't want 3D, when I let them watch a 3D movie on my wall - without fail, every single 1 of them looked at me and said, "Could you set something like this up in my place?" To get 3D in a theater vs just watching movies/tv in a theater really means you approach the situation from an entirely different direction. But that aside - Let's just look at answering the question you asked, namely any ideas? Well, for 1500, I set up a 159in screenwall, a ceiling mounted 3D pj, a 700watt 7.1 surround sound system and can play games 2d/3d, watch blurays 2d/3d and watch hidef cable. tv while running it all from a single 1 handed remote. I can also surf the web, or even type responses to AVS forum posts - YUP, doing it right now, with my 1 handed remote. Well, I don't type with 1 hand, but you get the idea.

This is my parts list:

Optoma HD66 pj
Denon AVR1911
Onkyo HT-750 speaker system
LG 3D Bluray player
Home built HT PC
Nvida 3D vision
a gallon of behr silverscreen paint
a lenovo N5902 mutimedia remote

Cable box plugged into the denon
computer plugged into the denon
Bly-ray plugged into the denon

denon plugged into the HD66

You can see it all in action if you want, just search Acme Studios 3D HT

Probably not the kind of answer you were looking for, but I hope it at least gives you some ideas
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page