Help picking out first projector for basement <$1000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-23-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Here is the layout of my basement from the viewpoint of someone standing at the back of the room looking towards the wall that will have the screen on it:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1drtKIVKZ90y-qrhA7O1ccmKRhtay2rkQTWakYX-zvWU/edit

As you can see the wall that will have the screen on it is 84.5" tall, and 117" wide. The 84.5" tall is obviously the ceiling height as well. I have up to 13'6" where I will eventually put in the seating, so the viewer will be around 12' from the screen or closer. I can ceiling mount the projector as far back as it needs to go, that isn't an issue. The room can be pitch black, as there are no windows.

I am attempting to do the proper research on these forums and the web, but some opinions will help. What projectors should I consider, and is it possible for me to get a 100" fixed screen in there? The dimensions for a typical 100" fixed screen are about 54" x 92" (with frame added to viewable size). This leaves me about 2.5 feet of total space for above or below the screen, and about 1 foot of leftover space on each side.

3D isn't super important, but would be nice. I am not sure how my short ceiling (just over 7 feet high) will affect my decision? Is 100" screen too big for the space, and should I drop it down to a 92" screen instead? The big question is what projector is best for this area? I'd like to get 1080p but 720p isn't out of the question if the picture looks comparable from the 12' viewing distance. Hopefully I'll be making my purchase early next week, so any help is appreciated. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
100" will be fine...you'll always want bigger after a while so don't consider a 92" screen. I'd even consider bigger but then you might have to go with an accoustically transparent screen with the narrow space to work with.

With the low ceilings I'd look into a refurbished Epson 8350 which can be had for right around your budget.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page