New To The Game: First Time Projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, so i've always been one who has enjoyed watching movies, in fact one who has made numerous 200-mile trips to the nearest 'True' Imax just to get a better movie-going experience, but i've never really had a very good setup at home. I have a decently nice audio system already in place, as well as blu-ray player etc, and simply and looking towards display devices. I have never in my life owned a projector, nor have i really seen one in action outside the movies or school/office rooms. While i am very technologically inclined, i'm not completely familiar with projects, and ultimately i want the projector that gives me the most enjoyable "movie experience." I unfortunately cannot watch plasmas since they flicker violently for me, rendering them unwatchable, and getting a large scale LED TV is far outside my budget, so i'm looking into projectors. I watch some TV and play some games, but in all honesty those are secondary; if asked what i wanted in a projector i would say "To watch blu-rays" so the context of my question can be assumed with only blu-ray source (i dont have a VP and honestly cant afford a real one) and external sound, within a moderately well light-controlled room. The room is fairly small, but is not likely to be the final destination of the projector so unless a particular model's throw range is WAY off the norm, i dont think that should be an issue. I have done a tiny bit of research (but obviously not enough) and have come to the point where i dont know which direction to go. Keeping in mind that i want the best EXPERIENCE, (2D only, i have no interest in 3D whatsoever, i already have a 3d monitor), what are my best options? I have a 'planned' budget of about 500-600 for the projector and ~120 for the screen, but the whole budget could stretch up to about 1k tops if noticeable improvements could be made. So far i have looked at a few models but really can't get enough objective data to make a decision. Should i look towards buying a new monitor such as the Optoma HD20? Or would i get a better overall experience putting the same cash towards a much older but higher end projector such as the JVC-RS1 or Pioneer PRO-FPJ1 (RS-2 rebrand)? I dont know for sure, but my though would be that the newer projectors would have better technical performance (i.e. brightness, response time, and image clarity/sharpness) but a nicer older projector would have better image quality (color, saturation, black-level, etc). Can anyone offer any suggestions for what i should consider? New, Used, or Refurbished is all free-game to me, i just want the best for my limited budget. Also since i see flickering on Plasma TV's i can only assume that i'm a perfect candidate for serious RBE issues with a DLP projector, though i have no way of knowing for sure. Thanks in advance for all the help, and sorry if I'm not doing this right, i'm totally new to this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Holy wall of words Batman!
If you can get a rs1 or rs2 in that price range, then it may not be a bad purchase. Those bulbs are a little pricey I think. Another discussion around your budget, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1423699/need-help-with-picking-out-a-new-projector-around-500
post #3 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hahaa, sorry, i tend to get a bit wordy, i'm not good at compressing my thoughts, but i thought it would be better than missing information tongue.gif
but yeah, i'm definitely looking for a 1080p projector if it can be had i think, i have rather critical eyes, so unless someone can attest to their awesomeness over a 1080p PJ, i think options like the Benq w710st and Optoma HD66 wouldn't really be my lane. I'm just not sure if tech has advanced so far that a newer projector can be better than one like the rs1 (features aside). The pro8200 looks like a possible contender, but honestly at that price range for new (i dont see many used yet) i find something like the HD20 (or maybe even stretching to an HD33?) would be more worth it.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Most people don't have problems with Plasma HDTV's and you do, and you say you are very critical in movie watching. I think you will have to demo some of them to see if they would bother your eyes. Maybe stick to LED/LCD hdtv's for now and buy PJ's a few years in LED/laser format.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

I live in a fairly small town, and while we have stores like walmart and best buy, the most that's ever out on demo is their tv's, never projectors. Any ideas on how i might could demo some projectors elsewhere? And the reason i'm considering a projector over an led/lcd tv is purely screen size; while an lcd panel might give a more true-to-pixels 'image', i [Hope] that a projector might give a more enjoyable 'experience' overall, even if a bit less resolute. When i said critical, it mostly pertained to my worries about RBE due to what i see with plasmas.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page