Home Theater Noob - Projector Suggestions 2k Budget - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I'm sure this is probably a repetitive question but the options are always changing as new gear is released. I'm looking to buy a projector for a theater room project. My budget is about $2,000. What is the best bang for my buck?

Thanks!

Edit: Just realized I've been lurking since 2007 and this is my first post. lol so sad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
A couple in the for sale section, or call AVS and see what they can do.
If you do any gaming
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425972/panasonic-pt-ae7000u
If you like 3D and brighter
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425612/epson-5010-3d-projector-and-2-epson-glasses
post #3 of 11 Old 08-25-2012, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I think you need to spell it out for us what you are planning to watch on your PJ and room size and screen size. Do you game? 3D? TV sports? Blu Ray, Computer use, 1080p, do you have placement problems needing Lens Shift, how dark a room.

I would think you should look over other people threads in this section who are also looking to buy PJ's , and see what was suggested for them and see if it helps in narrowing it down for you, what you want.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-25-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the lack of details originally. Here are some specifics.

Screen size: 44x78 inches

• Room brightens: The room can be turned completely dark
  • 3D required: No, we are not looking to use 3D
  • Usage: HD TV, Sports, blueray, HTPC
  • Lens shift: I'm not even sure what this is. There is a platform attached to the back of the wall for a pj however. I don't think placement will be an issue.

Hope that helps. Thanks!
post #5 of 11 Old 08-26-2012, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Bump
post #6 of 11 Old 08-26-2012, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A b-stock JVC would be my first choice in this price range.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-26-2012, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
You are getting better at providing details of your room. Nice room.

This type forum room is slow compared to many other type forum rooms, so you have to allow days instead of hours for response. Also if you have generic question, most of us don't know "how" to answer.

Think about if someone asked you " I have 50 thousand dollars to buy a car, which should I get". What would you recommend? Your car, or sports car, or luxury car, or 20,000 dependable car. Probably, just say, go to car dealers and look over consumer reports.

So it is with PJ's. You are on the Internet, Check PRO sites for reviews of PJ's in your range, also, Amazon user reviews. Narrow it down, then come here and ask us, "should I get this Model or that, can any one help me in making final choice or help with pro's and cons' of them.

The FUN is in the research. Do you want a refurb, an OLDER model. Well , how do you feel about getting a CAR ... With 50,000 to spend on CAR , do you want a used car or NEW car, and older 70,000 car, that is selling for 50,000 , or a NEW car. Do you want a 50,000 car with 90 day warranty, or a 50,000 car with a 10 year WARRANTY. I'm giving you a way to look at these PJ'S. Because some PJ's come with 90 day warranty, some with 1 year or 3 year. Come back with 3 or 4 models you found on the INTERNET that seem good to you.

Also, repair costs and replacement costs. Do you want fancy car, that needs constant attention and repair and replacement costs are HIGH, or a low maintance model, with low replacement costs, (on bulb, iris issues, convergence issues). Looks good but with reported many problems. But people love the look of the car or PJ and don't seem to care others have problems or that it costs a lot to maintain.

Just to let you know, I'm the guy that likes a cheap and dependable car, something that has long warranty, good gas mileage, is rated by PRO's as dependable and relatively repair free , by GOOD company. But that is me. So I got Viewsonic pro8200. It has 3 year warranty, long bulb life, people are not reporting problems with unit, good company, Bright, ... and got it on sale, I could have spend 2,000 dollars on PJ, but only needed to spend under 700. So I keep 1,300 in my pocket for something else that is cheap and dependable and gets "good reviews".

Do you see what I mean, of course I would recommend "mine", since I "had" to figure out what is good for me.

Hope that helps. Also, did you look at other threads in here, going back 3 or 4 pages and look at all the other people that asked your question. Read them.

Don't get the pro8200 because I recommend it. Research all the PJ's and then figure out what is important to YOU. I gave you the "reason" I got my PJ, but your reasons for buying a PJ could be different.

I played on my pro8200, 8 hours on Saturday, playing Battlefield 3 and computer use , and it is Awesome experience, Flying Jets on 100 inch screen and then rewatching Avator ... so good luck. Looks like a gaming room, what PJ did you have before?
post #8 of 11 Old 08-26-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hey rgtaa,

I guess I understand your point. But me being a car guy, if a new car buyer gave me their requirements I could rattle off several cars that I recommend. My point being, I'm not expecting anyone to tell me exactly what I want but rather a starting point. Based on the few requirements I listed and the budget I've provided, I'd really like to get a few options. Based on those options I can do some research and make my decision from there. Thank you for your input however, I'll do a better job of reviewing the first few pages of this section. In regards to pro sites, I have trust issues. I'd rather take the opinion of real people on forums such as this than trust what newegg has to say about it.

Lastly, this is a new home to me so I have never owned a projector before. With a room like this, I felt obligated to buy a projector. heh
post #9 of 11 Old 08-29-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hate to have to do this but.. *bump*

Getting antsy and wanting to buy.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member