Epson 3010 - making the ceiling mount sturdy and vibration-free - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-27-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just installed our Epson 3010 this week and LOVE it - it's been fantastic so far.

Only issue we are having is that when anyone walks around the floor immediately above where the projector is mounted, it vibrates and shakes the picture quite a bit. The room above the projector is the kitchen, so it definitely will see it's fair share of activity.

I'm trying to come up with a solution to eliminate the vibration. We are using this mount:
http://www.amazon.com/Projector-Gear-Projector-Ceiling-PowerLite-Extension/dp/B006HYMH7W/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1346093134&sr=8-6&keywords=epson+3010+ceiling+mount

And we do use the 13" extension due to an overhang above the screen. I believe the extension does add to the wobbly-ness. I contacted the manufacturer of the product, but they were not much help. Their response was "if the ceiling moves, it will vibrate - not much you can do."

Toying with the idea of purchasing the same type of brackets one uses when hanging a garage door opener and adding them for more stability. Might anyone have other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-27-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Extra brackets prob won't help much. The vibrations will need to be isolated somehow. One thought in the previous discussions that would be simple, if it's an option, would be to wall mount it. Other threads on the topic,

http://www.avsforum.com/search.php?advanced=1&search=projector+vibrate+vibration&titleonly=1&byuser=&output=all&containingforum[]=24&containingforum[]=68&replycompare=gt&numupdates=&sdate=0&newer=1&sort=relevance&order=descending&Search=SEARCH
post #3 of 6 Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw33mn View Post

I'm trying to come up with a solution to eliminate the vibration. Might anyone have other ideas?

As the previous poster commented you want to isolate the mounting plate from the ceiling. Outside of the visual nuisance of a vibrating picture, over time there may be internal damage to the projector from the vibrations. I know Peerless sells their Vibration Absorber Ceiling Plate - ACC840 model. I haven't used it so I don't know how effective it is. The principle seems to be to use rubber pads to isolate the plate from the ceiling. You could try a variation of this by installing your own foam or soft rubber washers found at a hardware or home supply store. The object is to isolate the ceiling plate from the lag bolts or screws you installed into the ceiling joists so the washers would be placed between the screw and plate and not between the plate and ceiling. Because foam washers are soft you will need to sandwich them with metal washers on both sides to give them rigidity. Plus when you put everything back together don't tighten the plate snug to the ceiling but leave a gap to allow the washers to flex. I hope my description means sense.

If this inexpensive solution does not work you could purchase a wall mount assuming the wall is rigid enough and is not tied into the ceiling joist giving you the vibration problem.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 6 Old 08-29-2012, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
You might think about using a wall mount like this one from Monoprice

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #5 of 6 Old 08-30-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

As the previous poster commented you want to isolate the mounting plate from the ceiling. Outside of the visual nuisance of a vibrating picture, over time there may be internal damage to the projector from the vibrations. I know Peerless sells their Vibration Absorber Ceiling Plate - ACC840 model. I haven't used it so I don't know how effective it is. The principle seems to be to use rubber pads to isolate the plate from the ceiling. You could try a variation of this by installing your own foam or soft rubber washers found at a hardware or home supply store. The object is to isolate the ceiling plate from the lag bolts or screws you installed into the ceiling joists so the washers would be placed between the screw and plate and not between the plate and ceiling. Because foam washers are soft you will need to sandwich them with metal washers on both sides to give them rigidity. Plus when you put everything back together don't tighten the plate snug to the ceiling but leave a gap to allow the washers to flex. I hope my description means sense.
If this inexpensive solution does not work you could purchase a wall mount assuming the wall is rigid enough and is not tied into the ceiling joist giving you the vibration problem.

Thanks for the suggestion! I might experiment with this a bit. Unfortunately a wall mount is no longer an option since all the wiring is in the ceiling and measured pretty exact, we wouldn't be able to pull the cables to connect to the projector if we were to move it.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-31-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
This is probably a more common problem than one would think. In addition to the Peerless isolation plate discussed earlier both Chief and Da-Lite have their own version.

Chief - CMA 345

Da-Lite CM-VIP

If you Google 'vibration isolation video projector' you will find many topics of interest that may give you ideas on how to MacGyver your own solution. The floor itself is the culprit since it was probably not built with enough bracing to keep it from flexing from the weight of the traffic.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page