Infocus IN72 Problem - Thick White Vertical Bar(s) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Infocus IN72 DLP projector that is many years old, but only has about 500 hours on the lamp over the lifetime.

Recently I flipped it on and noticed a thick white bar toward the right side of the screen. (pictures below). It is there the second you turn on the projector, and often flickers with different intensity depending on what images are on the screen. Interesting thing is, the bar will disappear after the projector warms up (say 10 minutes). I noticed it once about a year ago, and then have used the projector about 20 times since then with no problems.

Then I didn't use it for most of this summer, and turned it on again last weekend. The white bar was back, only that time it took about 20 minutes before it went away. And I used it again this weekend, and the bar stayed on the screen for about 40 minutes before disappearing. Very frustrating indeed when you're trying to enjoy a movie or video game.

I will attach two pictures to this message. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on? Is the projector on it's last leg, or could there be an easy fix? Thanks. smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-29-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

I was really hoping some experts in this forum might be able to give me some ideas.
Is my unit slowly dying, or do you think opening it up/cleaning dust/checking for loose connections might help?

Thanks...
post #3 of 10 Old 08-31-2012, 06:11 AM

I have the same exact issue on my in72, though mine usually produces multiple white bars and they do not ever go away. I can usually apply some pressure between the stand and the bottom of the projector and they will go away, but if someone bumps the projector or jumps on the floor they will come right back.

I haven't ventured into opening up the projector yet, but I am planning on it today. I am either going to fix this issue or buy a new projector.

I would love some insight from anyone else who thinks they might know what this is.

Thanks
Nathan
post #4 of 10 Old 09-02-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Nathan,

Any luck with your IN72? Mine sits on a high mounted shelf on the wall. Yesterday I tried applying pressure, shaking it up and down and turning it upside down. Nothing worked to get rid of the line. Except time. After an hour it finally just went away. And right when it went away the part of the picture that was under the white line seemed to 'melt' into focus over a second or two.
Could it be the color wheel? I don't know enough about how DLP projectors work to really know.

Ken
post #5 of 10 Old 09-02-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'm getting two bars consistently now. I noticed that I can see a "rainbow of colors" flashing inside the white bars. I know DLP projectors have color wheels, I'm just not sure if this means my color wheel is going bad. Especially since the problem seems to correct itself after the projector is on for like an hour. None of you uber-experts in this forum have any ideas or input for me? Kinda disappointing...

post #6 of 10 Old 09-04-2012, 09:21 PM

No, I turned mine on and had no bars, so I just left it alone. I ran it for a fantasy draft over the weekend and didn't have any problems either. Seems like with mine the more gentle I am with it the better. I am guessing its a loose connector or something, but I am not 100% sure. Just going to keep talking nicely to it to get a bit more life out of it.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 AM

I don't know if this will be of any help, but when I was trying to save money with my X10 I purchased a non-OEM housing/bulb. When I plugged it into the projector there would be white lines, the reds would smear, and there would be white shimmering. It was a horrible mess. I then took the bulb and put it into a OEM housing and suddenly everything was fine. I was thinking that perhaps the bulb might be the cause of your problem. Have you tried taking the bulb out and putting it back in? Unfortunately you can't do the exchange bulb thing so easily with the IN72 since the housing is pretty complicated. I have a IN72 I use quite a bit but haven't experienced the problem.

From the sound of it, though, it does seem your projector might be on its last legs. I work in IT and see LCD units (I know yours is a DLP) go out and I've seen the white line problem happen before. Have you tried resetting your projector back to default? Maybe one of the settings is causing a problem. I know that with my X10 if I set the BrilliantColor setting sometimes I get half a good picture and half yellowish. It's ugly. When I turn it off everything is fine. Make sure you unplug everything other than the power to do the test so you don't have any external factors involved. When/if it's determined that everything is good then start putting your component cables back in to the projector one by one.

Good luck!
post #8 of 10 Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Nathan,
Thanks for the reply.

I did try taking the projector apart, and checking the connections between the circuit boards because I read in an older topic from years ago that a loose connection or "bad heatsink placement on the image processor" could be the problem. Unfortunately that did not help.
I'd hate to think that the projector is on it's last leg since I've only used it about 500 hours. And I can't afford to replace it right now. frown.gif

I did not touch the bulb during my first attempt to take apart the IN72. But I'll give it a shot this weekend.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thought I would bump this one more time for any ideas from anyone, before I'm forced to take a sledgehammer to this thing... frown.gif
post #10 of 10 Old 10-14-2012, 07:33 AM

Liked: 13
Somewhere inside there is a bad solder joint. When it warms up and expands, its enough to close the joint and work properly. However, it can only get worse. There is no way to fix it other than to have a tech diagnose it hands on, and there are so many newer and better projectors out there, that a precision adjustment tool (ie sledgehammer) may be the best way to "fix" the problem.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page