Debating on projectors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-29-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys been reading a ton here lately and i'm getting ready to start upgrading everything in my setup. Right now i'm looking at a projector screen mount and new entertainment stand or equipment shelf. My budget is $2000 but could be pushed a tad higher if the upgrade would be worth the extra $$.

Ive been going back and forth about going with a projector or a new TV. i have a 47" Lcd right now and i'm to the point where i'm ready for something bigger. Everytime i watch something i wish it was bigger!! I am looking at the HC4000 and have read tons of good things about this model, but i see a few Espon's and Optoma's being thrown around.

My room is a little bigger than 12x18 and i am looking at about a 100" screen. There are 2 windows that i can block almost all the light from coming thru so there not too much of an issue. just debating mainly on what would the best projector be for my room. placement shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-29-2012, 07:18 PM

Liked: 11
You have to be careful of information paralysis. Panasonic, BenQ, Epson and Optima all make great projectors at great prices. Pick a budget (you can really do well at $2k) and jump in. I started out six years ago with a Panasonic. A couple years later I moved up to DLP because I discovered I liked the DLP pop where colors jump off the screen. If you don't need 3D you can really save some money. The site sponsors are great to deal with and calling them and speaking to a live human will save you money. Jump in already and start enjoying theater at home! biggrin.gif
OneXhanded likes this.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmaddog View Post

You have to be careful of information paralysis. Panasonic, BenQ, Epson and Optima all make great projectors at great prices. Pick a budget (you can really do well at $2k) and jump in. I started out six years ago with a Panasonic. A couple years later I moved up to DLP because I discovered I liked the DLP pop where colors jump off the screen. If you don't need 3D you can really save some money. The site sponsors are great to deal with and calling them and speaking to a live human will save you money. Jump in already and start enjoying theater at home! biggrin.gif

Thanks for the reply. I think thats my main issue is i have read so much i dont know what to get anymore. i'm not a fan of 3d so thats out, and theres not really any place here to demo anything... i mean ive got a best buy, but well enough said. i think there might be a theater store in town i can check out try and get some ideas. I"m not looking for the greatest system, but i do want something bigger and to look great four a few years until i'm ready to upgrade again.
post #4 of 20 Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Finding a place to look at PJ options is very difficult. That said, there may be someone in your area who posts here and might be willing to have you take a look at their set-up. We've done that a couple of times and I know it was helpful.
OneXhanded likes this.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-30-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
btokars has an excellent idea if you're having trouble seeing a specific pj in person. Art has done lots of reviews and has some suggestions, http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080p-projector/awards_under2000.php

Coderguys suggestions here on AVS are great as well.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks
OneXhanded likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-31-2012, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
In the first link he gave, in Art's 2012 review round up, the viewsonic pro8200 is given honor mention, and in Art's 2011 review round up the viewsonic pro8200 was 2nd place tie with epson 8350.

I looked at the prices of the models he recommended, the warranty, brightness, inputs/outputs, internal speakers watts or none, bulb hours , bulb replacement costs. And the viewsonic pro8200 came out on top for me. It was the cheapest by hundreds of dollars, longest warranty of all of them (3 years), lots of inputs/outputs, had 20 watts internal speakers (10x2), was super bright, a good gaming PJ, with low Rainbow Effect, and good company.
Then I checked the user reviews on Amazon and most liked it, and I read the reviews of some that didn't and also read comments others posted about the negative reviews.
Finally I read the last 4 or 5 pages of the viewsonic pro8200 forum in this room to get a feel if any issues with the unit.

When I was making my decision, I did that with all the models I was interested in.

I rather keep hundreds of dollars in my pocket than buy something more expensive with less bulb hours, less warranty, etc.

Even Coderguys top picks (the second link he posted) , has the viewsonic pro8200 in many places on that page, and he himself owns the pro8200 and has over 2,500 hours on it. So if it is good enough for Coderguy , it's good enough for me. And the price was right.

Also, it was my first PJ, so I didn't want to spend a lot of money for something I didn't know if I would use much, I wanted one that was 1080p and not 800x600, and one that was good for gaming, was very bright, portable, good for TV sports and blu ray movies. Also had long warranty so I didn't have to worry for 3 years if anything went wrong with it. So CHEAP and GOOD. Now if the difference between them is not that great, maybe 5 to 10 percent better, that's nothing to me. I'm not into nit-picking. Most never made it into ART's 2012/2011 Top ROUND up, and the fact the viewsonic pro8200 was in it for 2 years in a row, meant , it wasn't a bad or average PJ, it was towards the top, just not the very best ( the 2nd best or honor mention best) , but for me looking at the big picture (warranty, bulb life, etc) , it was the BEST FOR ME. smile.gif

Now the first 4 or 5 months I didn't use the PJ that much, but NOW I am using it more, and it does get better and better , and I'm getting spoiled. After going from 42 inch HDTV to 100 inch screen, the 42 looks tiny and dull. I could put 6 42inch screens into the 100 inch screen.
I had to rearrange my room , for the first 4 or 5 months I was too close to screen, now I'm back about 7 feet and it looks so much better.

p.s. For example, the pana PT-AR100U which is listed 1st this year in ART's round up , only has 2,000 hours bulb life and expensive bulb replacement. Only has 1 year warranty, no internal speakers. Considering I picked up my pro8200 for 650 dollars NEW from newegg in dec 11 ... the ar100u is 1,300 dollars on Amazon right now (double the price) . Compared with 6,000 hours bulb life on pro8200, meant I would have to replace the bulb 3x more with more expensive bulb if I bought the pana PT-AR100U . And one year warranty on pana PT-AR100U or 2,000 hours warranty whatever comes first, .... crap, ....if something goes wrong after 1 year , expensive to fix.

That is the stuff I look at that Coderguy and Art's review do NOT go into. Price/warranty/bulb life/ bulb replacement costs and look at whole picture and if the double price is really a GOOD DEAL. Not for me.
OneXhanded likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-31-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
quote name="jnabq" url="/t/1426869/debating-on-projectors#post_22359192"]btokars has an excellent idea if you're having trouble seeing a specific pj in person. Art has done lots of reviews and has some suggestions, http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080p-projector/awards_under2000.php
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

In the first link he gave, in Art's 2012 review round up, the viewsonic pro8200 is given honor mention, and in Art's 2011 review round up the viewsonic pro8200 was 2nd place tie with epson 8350.
I looked at the prices of the models he recommended, the warranty, brightness, inputs/outputs, internal speakers watts or none, bulb hours , bulb replacement costs. And the viewsonic pro8200 came out on top for me. It was the cheapest by hundreds of dollars, longest warranty of all of them (3 years), lots of inputs/outputs, had 20 watts internal speakers (10x2), was super bright, a good gaming PJ, with low Rainbow Effect, and good company.
Then I checked the user reviews on Amazon and most liked it, and I read the reviews of some that didn't and also read comments others posted about the negative reviews.
Finally I read the last 4 or 5 pages of the viewsonic pro8200 forum in this room to get a feel if any issues with the unit.
When I was making my decision, I did that with all the models I was interested in.
I rather keep hundreds of dollars in my pocket than buy something more expensive with less bulb hours, less warranty, etc.
Even Coderguys top picks (the second link he posted) , has the viewsonic pro8200 in many places on that page, and he himself owns the pro8200 and has over 2,500 hours on it. So if it is good enough for Coderguy , it's good enough for me. And the price was right.
Also, it was my first PJ, so I didn't want to spend a lot of money for something I didn't know if I would use much, I wanted one that was 1080p and not 800x600, and one that was good for gaming, was very bright, portable, good for TV sports and blu ray movies. Also had long warranty so I didn't have to worry for 3 years if anything went wrong with it. So CHEAP and GOOD. Now if the difference between them is not that great, maybe 5 to 10 percent better, that's nothing to me. I'm not into nit-picking. Most never made it into ART's 2012/2011 Top ROUND up, and the fact the viewsonic pro8200 was in it for 2 years in a row, meant , it wasn't a bad or average PJ, it was towards the top, just not the very best ( the 2nd best or honor mention best) , but for me looking at the big picture (warranty, bulb life, etc) , it was the BEST FOR ME. smile.gif
Now the first 4 or 5 months I didn't use the PJ that much, but NOW I am using it more, and it does get better and better , and I'm getting spoiled. After going from 42 inch HDTV to 100 inch screen, the 42 looks tiny and dull. I could put 6 42inch screens into the 100 inch screen.
I had to rearrange my room , for the first 4 or 5 months I was too close to screen, now I'm back about 7 feet and it looks so much better.
p.s. For example, the pana PT-AR100U which is listed 1st this year in ART's round up , only has 2,000 hours bulb life and expensive bulb replacement. Only has 1 year warranty, no internal speakers. Considering I picked up my pro8200 for 650 dollars NEW from newegg in dec 11 ... the ar100u is 1,300 dollars on Amazon right now (double the price) . Compared with 6,000 hours bulb life on pro8200, meant I would have to replace the bulb 3x more with more expensive bulb if I bought the pana PT-AR100U . And one year warranty on pana PT-AR100U or 2,000 hours warranty whatever comes first, .... crap, ....if something goes wrong after 1 year , expensive to fix.
That is the stuff I look at that Coderguy and Art's review do NOT go into. Price/warranty/bulb life/ bulb replacement costs and look at whole picture and if the double price is really a GOOD DEAL. Not for me.

Thanks for the long reply i really appreciate it.
I have read thru coderguys list of projectors and have mainly been going back and forth between the Mitsu HC4000 or the Benq W6000, but i will look into the Viewsonic pro 8200 as well. Right now amazon has the HC4000 for $1085 thru Electronics Expo - i havent heard a lot about them i was originally going to order from B&H or Projector People, but they are about 100-200 ish more. any ideas. I have ran thru the calculator on elite a couple of times and seems i would be able to run the HC4000 at low lamp mode and shouldnt have any issues.

still need to decide on a screen as well. looking to order the projector screen and mount within the next couple of days. it seems the more i read the more i cant decide on something.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-31-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

btokars has an excellent idea if you're having trouble seeing a specific pj in person. Art has done lots of reviews and has some suggestions, http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080p-projector/awards_under2000.php
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

Thanks for the reply's both of you.

I have read thru coderguy's thread a couple of time and am mainly debating between the Mitsubishi HC 4000 and the Benq W600, but i will check out the Viewsonic Pro8200 as well. i'm looking for somthing around the 1000-1300 range for the projector with pretty good blacks with total budget of about $2000. Right now amazon has the HC4000 for $1085 thru Electronics Expo. I havent heard too much about them and i was going to order with BHphoto or Projector people, but they are about 100-200 more than amazon right now. would the amazon deal be a good one to go with? I tend to stray away from used items so thats the best proce ive seen lately.

It seems as the more and more i read the less sure i am about actually buying something and i had planned on buying the projector mount and screen within the next couple of days. oh yea any good screen recommendations at 100"?
post #9 of 20 Old 08-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
HC4000 is good PJ. Should work for you. Coderguy had to sell his because the Rainbow Effect was too much for him. But if the Rainbow Effect had not bothered him, I'm sure he would still own it. Are you Rainbow Effect Sensitive?

Both are good PJ's. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Probably the blacks are better then the pro8200. Don't know if I would spend 400-600 dollars more for just a tiny bit of extra black, but some people will. It's too bad we can't go into place, that has these things lined up , next to each other. I go into BB and most of the hdtv's look about the same. The pro reviews will have one a little bit better, but is it worth 600 or 2,000 dollar's better. For some people, yeah. But if it's in my home and I have nothing else to compare it with, it looks good to me. smile.gif
post #10 of 20 Old 08-31-2012, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btokars View Post

Finding a place to look at PJ options is very difficult. That said, there may be someone in your area who posts here and might be willing to have you take a look at their set-up. We've done that a couple of times and I know it was helpful.

Just took delivery yesterday of an HC4000 ordered from BB website. Haven't had much time to view, but the pic quality out of the box is excellent. With BB's 30 day return policy you wouldn't have anything to lose in giving one a try.
post #11 of 20 Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbturbo2 View Post

Just took delivery yesterday of an HC4000 ordered from BB website. Haven't had much time to view, but the pic quality out of the box is excellent. With BB's 30 day return policy you wouldn't have anything to lose in giving one a try.

Awesome do you mind me asking what you paid at best buy?
post #12 of 20 Old 08-31-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

well i got a good deal on a Espon 8350 i'm going to try it out for a little while and decide if i like it or not. if not i can swap it out for the HC4000....biggrin.gif now i wish i would have gone ahead and bought a screen frown.gif when i was looking a few weeks ago

any suggestions for a 100" - 110" screen under 300?
post #13 of 20 Old 08-31-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneXhanded View Post

well i got a good deal on a Espon 8350 i'm going to try it out for a little while and decide if i like it or not. if not i can swap it out for the HC4000....biggrin.gif now i wish i would have gone ahead and bought a screen frown.gif when i was looking a few weeks ago
any suggestions for a 100" - 110" screen under 300?

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-ER110WH1-Projection-Screen/dp/B00366TZ3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343948273&sr=8-1&keywords=elite+screen+110 is what a few users I've seen here purchase on a budget. Or try the DIY screen forum.
post #14 of 20 Old 09-01-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-ER110WH1-Projection-Screen/dp/B00366TZ3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343948273&sr=8-1&keywords=elite+screen+110 is what a few users I've seen here purchase on a budget. Or try the DIY screen forum.

I was looking at the one yesterday. Was wondering if it was worth it. I'm not too much of a DIY, missing 5 fingers on the left hand puts a damper on a lot of projects, but i manage well enough
post #15 of 20 Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneXhanded View Post

i was originally going to order from B&H or Projector People, but they are about 100-200 ish more. any ideas.

FWIW you can contact B&H via askbh[at]bhphoto.com with the product and a link to a competitor's page and ask about price-matching. We say, "Yes," as often as we can.

Henry Posner
post #16 of 20 Old 09-03-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryp View Post

FWIW you can contact B&H via askbh[at]bhphoto.com with the product and a link to a competitor's page and ask about price-matching. We say, "Yes," as often as we can.

will definitively have to keep that in mind for the future
post #17 of 20 Old 09-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Hi everyone. I have been shopping around for a new tv for a few weeks now and it just dawned on me I could get a huge screen if I went to a projector. I have no where t look at one so I was wondering how they compare to led tvs. And d:Do they always have to be in a dark environment. One last thing do any projectors do motion interpolation or the soap opera look. I really like that look. I know I know I just do.

James Reid:D
post #18 of 20 Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

Hi everyone. I have been shopping around for a new tv for a few weeks now and it just dawned on me I could get a huge screen if I went to a projector. I have no where t look at one so I was wondering how they compare to led tvs. And d:Do they always have to be in a dark environment. One last thing do any projectors do motion interpolation or the soap opera look. I really like that look. I know I know I just do.

Actually, within the last couple of years projectors are coming very close to led/plasma visuals, while providing the benefit of a very large image. Darker rooms are better, due to the projectors inability to project, "black". Any light that comes onto the screen will diminish the darker areas of the image. Some pjs do better in this regard, and different screens can help as well. Lots of latest pjs will do, frame interpolation these days.
post #19 of 20 Old 09-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Well I decided on the BenQ W7000 projector. Now trying to get the right screen is proving to be a difficult task. My projector will be 18 feet from screen. The walls are off white but there is little light from the basement windows. At night it is very dark during the day semi to pretty dark. Would a 120in screen with say 1.0 gain work? I am set on getting a fixed screen.

James Reid:D
post #20 of 20 Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

At 18', 3D may suffer a little and you might want to consider a screen of about 1.3 gain according to, http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page