Is Benq W7000 or Acer 9500BD worth the extra $$ over the HD33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just as the title says.. I have been reading reviews, posts on here, etc for these 3 projectors in extreme excess over the past 3 months trying to decide which one to get. I like the flexibility of the Benq and Acer(now considering this one since the new firmware is out) but naturally they are $300 or more than the Optoma HD33. Are the features of either of these worth the extra money? Is there something i may be overlooking that the Benq or Acer have the the HD33 doesn't that will make a big difference(other than the obvious stuff- lens shift, dynamic iris, etc). I was hoping to save that little bit and spend it on the surround sound instead especially since i will need to purchase some 3D glasses to go with. I already have the mount(birthday gift) - Peerless PRG. Below are the specs for the room.

18x20 light controlled Room with 8ft ceiling
Seating will be ~16ft away
Wanting 120" screen
50% movies/tv and 50% Xbox gaming - probably 20% or less of either will be 3D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 AM

Liked: 17
You also need to decide if you want to wait a bit for the just-being-announced 2013 models. See >$3K forum.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-30-2012, 10:44 AM

Liked: 10
I ended up going with the acer, new egg has a 10% off coupon that works with the acer, that brought the prices very close to each other.
Since then though, i saw that nfm.com has the optoma for $999, i don't believe its an authorized dealer though.
I bought the acer for the iris and small lens shift, though outside of very dark scenes, it probably has about the same picture as the optoma.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-29-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdejose View Post

I ended up going with the acer, new egg has a 10% off coupon that works with the acer, that brought the prices very close to each other.
Since then though, i saw that nfm.com has the optoma for $999, i don't believe its an authorized dealer though.
I bought the acer for the iris and small lens shift, though outside of very dark scenes, it probably has about the same picture as the optoma.

If you are going to use the Iris, check out the official acer thread as there are some settings which will probably interest you. The settings were from timduru and are in the latter part of the thread. He has some calibration settings which worked pretty well for me. I also used Disney's WoW disk which worked well, but isn't really a pro calibration.

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page