Mounting Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-03-2012, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, I am new to all this and looking to get into a projector for the first time. I had a few quick questions that hopefully someone could answer. My budget is on the low end so I was planning on starting with one of the 1080p DLPs (probably the HD20, I was really set on the HC4000 until I measured my room). This room is going to be in the basement and the ceiling heigh is relatively low, about 85 inches. Here is picture of where I was planning to mount the projector (it wouldn't be hanging down from the bottom of the beam, but rather attached to ceiling and tucked in the concavity in the beam)

It is a support beam running across the middle of the basement, I started marking the studs in the ceiling with the painters tape. The distance from the back of the support beam to wall would give a throw distance of about 150 inches. I'm shooting for the 100 inch screen, below is picture with the tape marking where I have the screen calculated to go. That is if I can get to projector flush with ceiling (and taking into account the approx 8" offset. As you can see, it is cutting it a tad bit close, hence question #2 below.

1) Do you think a projector would get too hot being up against that support beam? Would it be better to place it further in front of the beam?

2) As above, I am trying to get a model without lens shift (of course that may change if need be). Because of the low ceiling height, I want to get the projecter as close to the ceiling as possible. What kind of mounting solution would be best that for that? Also taking into account the issue of the support beam and overheating.

Thanks so much, looking forward to getting this project underway.

PS - If anyone has any fancy ideas on how to actually get the HC4000 to work in that room, I would definitely be open to that. Would tilting the projector upwards work and also tilting the screen upwards. If so, how would one actually go about tilting a fixed wall screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I just got the Optoma HD20 and after a test run all I can say is that the projector gets hot. So, if you do put it close to the beam it will warm up. The front gets hotter than the back though. I am not sure what is wrong with the HC4000 in that room? Is it because the vertical offset from the projector lens to the screen? Almost all mounts allow for vertical tilt adjustment, so you will aim it up on an angle to adjust for the downward offset. There are keystone adjustments you can make to get the image back to the normal rectangle shape.

I just got a V7 PM1U40 Universal Projector Ceiling Mount and that looks like it will mount the projector about 4" from the top of the ceiling.

*I am a newbie, but I have done a ton research in this field lately.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

Is it because the vertical offset from the projector lens to the screen? Almost all mounts allow for vertical tilt adjustment, so you will aim it up on an angle to adjust for the downward offset. There are keystone adjustments you can make to get the image back to the normal rectangle shape.

Yep, exactly, that is my problem. Thanks for the info on the mount. I've also tried to as much research as possible. I was trying figure out if I tilt the projector, would it be better to use keystone adjustments or tilt the screen at the same angle as I tilt the projector
post #4 of 5 Old 09-04-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

In addition, I did some calculations, and I would have to tilt the projector about 6 degrees and the top of the screen would be 5.5 inches off of the wall and the bottom would be flush with wall. That would provide the necessary tilt to the screen. Does any one know if that would look okay. Is that too much tilt for the screen?
post #5 of 5 Old 03-16-2013, 01:05 PM

Greetings peeps!

Does anyone have any tips/ideas on either buying a legit extension or making an extension out of PVC for the V7 PM1U40? It will need to be roughly 14"

Thanks!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Wall Mount , Projectors , Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page