ACER K130 1280x800 300 lumens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys, what I read so far, the pa70g sounds to be quite a good deal if the cost is really below 500$. Unfortunately here in Europe, the rate for the pa70g is about 700€ (880$)!! I would prefer the smaller pb60g (rate in Europe is 550€=690$) anyway , because I like the projector to be very handy so I can easily carry it to other places. And I already noticed for myself, after having owned an ACER C20 with just 20 lumens, that I probably will be fine with everything above 200 lumens. Also because I just watch/play in the evening or when it's darker.
I loved the ACER C20 btw, pretty decent picture and sharpness for that small unit (size of a smart phone!) and cheap price (150€). Unfortunately, it just lasted for a week. After using it everyday, somehow a lot of pixels started to disappear, I had to return it and didn't bother/risk to get a new one. I figured, it was because of the heat building up in that small projector because of the none existing fan (which on the other hand made it completely silent!), or because it simply had been build by ACER...That still is also a concern for other LED projectors, because I read that this just happens. Hence, who cares that the lamps hold 10 years if the panels/pixels or however just break...what good is a warranty of 2 years then...

Anyway, about ACER, that brings me to my actual question. As one of the cheapest and smallest/best projectors available at the moment seems to be the ACER K130, I wanted to ask here if anybody has info an this one. It has been out since April already, but it is still hard to come across tests, reviews or even comments. I find this one very attractive and for a price of 420€ I am really close ordering one.
The only user info I found so far are these 2 opinions: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer-K130-user-reviews.htm and 1 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsaz_ydDknI which leaves a good impression.
I also would just love to know, how it plays hd files from usb. The LGs seem to do a good job on that, but I read for example, that the ACER K330 has problems with some files...

I am not posting the specifics, because you find them online anyway. But here are some points:

+very good contrast, 10 000:1
+good colour adjustment options
+pretty small
+focus seems to be sharp all over...
+cheaper than others
+warranty, 5 years on the DLP chip, which also promises that the colors stay the same!

~has no audio out, but Composite Video/Audio (3.5mm 4-pin mini jack), therefore it should be fine
~noise, 29db, but it doesn't seem to annoy and I am not sure if that is for ECO-mode...

-it's from ACER wink.gif
-still no tests/reviews

So, if you have any info on the ACER K130, please share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-11-2012, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

well, as nobody seems interested in this pj, I finally had to buy it and find out myself.

So here are my points to the ACER K130:

+it is small
+no focus issue, picture pretty sharp all around
+very small remote control and useable
+picture and colors look nice
+a lot of options to adjust picture and screen

unfortunately, that would be it, here is what I am disappointed about:

-29db in eco mode is just not silent enough, watching a movie on normal volume I can still hear the projector,
-didn't recognize media on my portable hd or on USB stick
-doesn't feel like 300 lumens, dark scenes are hard to see
-no audio out, you have to use the universal jack for audio output

all in all, I will probably return it because I wanted to play movies from my portable hard disk and the lumen and sound don't satisfy me for that price.
Hence, I really have to give some more money and will try the LG PA60G.

Even if most of you don't care about this pj, I hope it helps others who think about getting one wink.gif
post #3 of 5 Old 09-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The PA70G is essentially silent in eco mode, and probably puts out about 300-350 lumens give or take in that setting. It's medium brightness mode is fairly bright (I'd say somewhere in the mid 400 lumen range just guessing from the apparent ft-L), and the fan really doesn't get much louder for that setting. The brightest setting is when the fan really ramps up and adds about 10-15% more brightness over the medium setting, but it'd be hard to ignore the fan for a lot of viewing unless you're just really insensitive to it IMO.

I've watched lots of stuff with the onboard speakers (which aren't as bad as I was expecting them to be), and at medium brightness I never once noticed the fan noise. Medium brightness is enough for a 110" diagonal screen easy with some light control, and even some ambient light.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Hey,

Decided to make an account after lurking in the forums for a while. I had some questions about K130 as well and thought it would be better to use the same thread.

I was actually looking at both K130 and lg HW300 but I couldn't decide. The higher lumen models are unfortunately out of my budjet.

I couldn't find anything about the K130 but the contrast ratio looked interesting. Has anyone actually seen K130 and compared it to other 300 lumen LED PJs? Did you Clint have chance to compare it to any other pj?

The sad thing is that I can't find any place that had any LED pj demo models. Only found few places that had bulb models.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-15-2012, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

After playing around with the unit for a couple of days more, I found that I got used to the fan when watching a movie on high volume, or let's say I started not noticing the fan...

@osssyvan: Well, I know other pj's and must say, that the contrast and black level is pretty good. As I said, the picture seems to be really fine.

Another thing I have to add, I found, that there is not really a big difference between eco-mode and normal mode (there are just 2 modes)...

I still haven't tested it on a ps3, playing fifa or something. But all in all, I guess for the price (maybe it's even cheaper again in US) the model is fine.

I will probably still return it, just because of it not recognizing videos via USB. Unless I am not doing something wrong (adjustments or whatever), but that simply makes a portable projector really unpractical for me cool.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page