Video AND Lasers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have a large dedicated room for audio/video enthusiasts at our inn. The room is 50' x 40' and 14' high and has been running for about 1 year with 3 laser projectors that scan across the long dimension to a screen (Flat white drywall) that is 35' wide by 13' high. The ambient light is completely controllable, but when using the lasers the scattered light can be significant. I am looking to add a HD video projector to the set up to complement the shows that can be produced with the lasers.

Anyone familiar with laser shows can appreciate the although the beams can be dazzlingly bright if you choose to run them hot, they are limited to very low scan rates and the graphics need to be highly stylized. Mixing the laser with video is very interesting.

I am already upgrading the screen based on the threads on this forum. There has been a lot of sanding and priming and soon GALLONS of MaxxMudd, but now the projector...Can't spend $10,000, yet this large display needs bright, A recent trip to Best Buy just to see a projector in action was interesting. The $4,000 Sony LCD based unit was rated at 1,700 lumens and 50,000:1. contrast ratio. The brightness wasn't bad at a 50% setting on a 90" diagonal screen( the room was brighter than we normally run), But, when dialed up toward 100% brightness the image merely became washed out with a whitish glare and the contrast took a dive. My original calculation ie. double the brightness and double the max. output with a model designed for 3,000+ lumens and a 200" display seemed workable. Now, I don't know.

Is DLP the answer to this brightness related loss of contrast?
What is/are the likely best contenders for this application?
Thanks
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page