Help - I need some recommendations... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-07-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Usually I research stuff pretty thoroughly, but in this case I'm pressed for time. My trusted Nec LT150 finally died leaving me in a bad position. There's a big event taking place at my house in three weeks and it's centered on a showing in our theater room. So basically I'm in the market for a new HD projector, hopefully around $1500.

Here are some requirements and limitations:

1. My screen is 92" diag 16:9
2. Ceiling is only 7'6" so I have some limitations on offset. Current offset for the LT150 is 11". I could buy a 3" more if I recess projector into the ceiling.
3. Room is 14" wide from the screen to the back wall.

With respect to 3D, I think i would be nice to have that capability, but it's not the number one decision factor.

Suggestions? What are hottest bang for the buck projectors in this price range? If I can narrow it down to around five promising models, I can take it from there. I prefer DLP, but I'm not married to it. I never had problems with rainbows on the NEC so I wouldn't expect to see them with the current generation of projectors.

Thanks
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-07-2012, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
start here:
This site is pretty respectable in the community.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080p-projector/1080p_projector_award_winners.php
Then look at Coderguys top picks thread in this forum room.
That will get you started. Then check back when you narrow it down to 4 or 5 that look good , and then read how users in their forum rooms like the model.

You are coming from a 2001 PJ, before high def was even around, so a lot has happened in the world of PJ's, and that nec was 3,000-4,000 back in 2001 for super low res. Have fun researching, and you should be able to figure it out in a day or two.

Others might come in and share a few of their favorites.

Usual questions, are you a gamer, watch sports tv, blu ray, is it a batcave or are their lights on in the room. Helps to narrow it down. Want a model that is cross over, that could be packed up and taken to conventions/meetings/ and also used in the back yard or in batcave. You got options. Think about it. Or are you just interested in this one room, never to be moved.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-07-2012, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just following up. It's a permanent installation, room is completely light controlled and video source is Blu Ray. Occasionally game, but never watch sports.

So far the Optima HD33 seems to be jumping out at me.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page