Replacement advice for HD70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Optoma HD70 for about 4 years. I am perfectly happy with my HD70 and the 720 resolution but it's time for a new bulb and the cooling fans are starting to get noisy. I have about 5300 hours on the projector and have been extremely satisfied.. My parents also had a HD70 that they put about 6000 hours on and I upgraded them to the Optoma HD23 a few months ago. They started out with an Infocus X1 and then the HD70. The jump in brightness was extremely needed so when I saw the specs for the HD23,I had them upgrade. They are happy but I would not be happy with that model for myself. I like to watch TV and movies in a light controlled environment and the HD23 can't be tamed down enough for me. I also see a lot of rainbows on the HD23.

I don't want to spend more than $1200 and would like another DLP. I am sensitive to rainbows and need a quiet projector. I would most likely only use best mode or eco mode as I am in a light controlled basement and am sensitive to fan noise. I have been looking at the specs of the HD20 and the Mitsubishi HC4000. I have no use for 3D and will never want that feature.

Are there any new projector models about ready to be made available to the $1500 and under market?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
With CEDIA going on right now, a lot of new products are being announced. The Mitsubishi HC7900DW, for example, was just announced.

I would be looking for current products with announced replacements to start to come down in price. Maybe start looking for the Mitsubishi HC7800D to come down into your price range now that the HC7900DW is in the pipeline.

Also, I've seen decent deals on refurbished JVC D-ILA units. Check the Found Deals forum for more info. Those would fit your profile for modest light output and would address the RBE problem. I am also sensitive to RBE and, while I appreciate the other attributes of DLP, I'm not sure that my next projector won't be LCD or D-ILA.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I would definitely not get the HD20. It's getting pretty long in the tooth at this point and the HC4000 has more going for it with DarkChip 3, more zoom flexibility, etc.